Fall 2022 Religion PhD

sayf

Here's a question for the group. Most applications have a desired page range (20+) for writing samples. But what if they don't have a given standard size for the writing sample? would you send a shorter paper that you like more? Or a longer paper to demonstrate capacity? For those on the other side of the admissions process, what do you think a committee would rather read?

On 12/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, bigsh said:

Here's a question for the group. Most applications have a desired page range (20+) for writing samples. But what if they don't have a given standard size for the writing sample? would you send a shorter paper that you like more? Or a longer paper to demonstrate capacity? For those on the other side of the admissions process, what do you think a committee would rather read?

I'd generally say shorter is better. Reviewers are already reading way too many of these. (I say this as I'm freaking out about my own WS...) 

I can certianly see the point made by emeraldsapphire above. I think a case can be made for a longer sample too. In my view, I'd rather send in more than they need -- they can stop reading when they feel satisfied they've seen enough. With the shorter piece that is not realy an option. However, if the short piece is your best writing and contains a full and thorough argument germane to the topic, I would proffer it is just fine.

thank you both for the responses. I had a conversation with the area director who explained they leave it open ended so that applicants can send the piece they most want to send. Could be 10 pages, could be 50. They want the most representative piece you want to submit. But you could go crazy trying to figure that out from the application materials ?

• 3 weeks later...

Yep going nuts even though I know it's still early. Heard from POI at top choice this past week that he has been lobbying for me all break and that everyone he's heard responses from has been enthusiastic about my application. Said that he and several faculty are excited about me coming and mentioned "if (when!) you are offered admission." And another prof there said via email this week that he is excited about working with me. Which of course all sounds great. But I applied to two different programs there (Duke PhD and ThD) and POI didn't say which one to expect to hear from, though I let him know my preference if adcomm asked him to put me in one or the other. So I'm freaking out about landing in my preferred one, and also can't stop thinking about the off chance that he says all this and I get my hopes up and then for some reason don't get an offer. I feel like I have 98% certainty but it's that 2% that will nag me for the next however long until they release decisions. I'm hoping at the earliest week after next maybe? At the longest maybe a month. 

And @theologizing77congrats on Vanderbilt interview! I applied there but haven't heard anything so I'm guessing I've struck out on that one. 

Edited by emeraldsapphire

Congratulations on an encouraging response, EmeraldSapphire! Which track of the Duke programs are you applying for? Did they indicate when they might send out inteview invitations? I've also applied to Duke, but only the PhD (current MBA student there). 

@MKPolicy, thanks! I'll PM you with the track specifics but as to interviews: I heard that Duke PhD did not do interviews last year, and the thought is that they probably won't this year either. Someone last year said they first heard from the PhD when they got their acceptance letter. *If* it's on the same timetable as last year, we should know by sometime the middle of next week. (Not that I'm counting down the days or anything...)

On 1/10/2022 at 8:21 PM, MKPolicy said:

@emeraldsapphiregoodness, that is both exciting and nerve-racking if the timetable is ineed the same as last year. I'm definitely spending way too much time refreshing my inbox hahaha

Anyone hearing anything at all from any of your programs?

Haven't heard anything yet. The results showed that someone got an interview from Stanford, so congrats to that person! If they are on here, what subfield? I know in the past some interviews have gone out from Princeton, Stanford, and Harvard around this time. This is the worst time for being patient. 

@MKPolicyJust wait… At Duke, ThD is a completely different program and has a different admission committee… You can also check the ThD and PhD have different admission requirements in reference letters and GRE.

Even for PhD, not all the subfields have interviews.

Pls be patient… The offer letter may be going to you. Don’t become so frustrated…

@bigsh yep that's me on the results page. And @MKPolicy, yeah it's two totally different processes. I haven't heard anything official from the PhD (other than informally from my POI). Unless you're in Early Christianity (and maybe Hebrew Bible/NT), I don't think that the PhD is doing interviews. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong there). 

Edited by emeraldsapphire

I'm late to the party but I've been following your thread.

I got an invitation for interview/conversation from my POI at Duke yesterday. PhD in early Christianity track. @emeraldsapphire  I saw that you are also at Yale? The word about me getting the interview probably spread yesterday and you are probably referring me haha. We probably know each other from school.