Fall 2022 Religion PhD

sayf

3 minutes ago, chasingchaos said:

@theologizing77 I haven't even allowed myself to hope -- defense mechanism to blunt any crushing disappointment. ?

Yeah, I'm over at UTS and hoping to stay internal because the faculty knows me, but Drew is REAL sexy. Their classes have me salivating, and I have erotic dreams of on campus parking wherein I don't have to pay a meter every few hours or switch sides for street cleaning. ?

I wonder if the profs get a sick enjoyment out of watching PhD applicants white knuckle the first two weeks of the Spring semester each year.

seems like it re: white knuckling; I wish I could forget that I even applied. 

@sayf I get it. A day after I sent out my apps I wanted to yank them all. My advisor nearly punched my in the face and told me not to do it.  Who knew applying to PhD progs came with a complimentary case of crushing anxiety and hopelessness.? 

1 hour ago, chasingchaos said:

@sayf I get it. A day after I sent out my apps I wanted to yank them all. My advisor nearly punched my in the face and told me not to do it.  Who knew applying to PhD progs came with a complimentary case of crushing anxiety and hopelessness.? 

You know it. I suppose it gets easier with every milestone. As they say, the anxiety is part of this game. 

10 hours ago, ariajimmy said:

Anyone heard from Princeton or Stanford? Did an interview with my Princeton POI in mid-Jan but have not heard anything since then. Stanford has been silent since submission...

I got a request for an additional writing sample in mid January and haven't heard anything since either. Imagine they're waiting on all decisions before sending anything out.

Has anyone ever reached out to their prof of contact about admission decisions timeline? Wondering what is appropriate to say when you want to check in on your application status. I’m in a weird place because I was encouraged to reapply to ND by an ND prof who is my point of contact and interviewed me last year. But this year I would have expected to hear about an interview at this point although I haven’t heard anyone else that applied to CJA say they were invited for an interview. Anyway… advice on an appropriate way to check in?

One ND prof told me that the interviewees had already been chosen back in mid-January. Of course, I have no idea when they planned on telling those folks. But, I assume they have already done so. 

An ND prof also told me that they had cut the number of new PhD students in half. This seems to be the trend at most schools this season. 

4 hours ago, sayf said:

First official rejection. Stanford. Hoping for better news next week.

I'm sorry, Sayf. I got my rejection from UTS yesterday right as I woke up. Here's hoping for an acceptance for both of us soon! 

27 minutes ago, chasingchaos said:

I'm sorry, Sayf. I got my rejection from UTS yesterday right as I woke up. Here's hoping for an acceptance for both of us soon! 

Sorry to hear about UTS as well. And, thank you. Hoping for the same! Would be great to catch a break. sigh. 

3 hours ago, sayf said:

Sorry to hear about UTS as well. And, thank you. Hoping for the same! Would be great to catch a break. sigh. 

There's still hope if there's still apps out. Sending you lots of good vibes. 

BTW, does anyone know how many Drew takes?

10 hours ago, Canaryyy said:

I'm so sorry to hear that Sayf. I know good news is coming for you! :((( Did you find out from your POI or portal?

Thank you, Canaryyy. Really hope next week brings good news for everyone waiting. Found out by a direct email from the Department. 

11 hours ago, sayf said:

Thank you, Canaryyy. Really hope next week brings good news for everyone waiting. Found out by a direct email from the Department. 

It's kind of wild that uni's are still doing direct mail. 

13 hours ago, chasingchaos said:

It's kind of wild that uni's are still doing direct mail. 

Haha, they're not playing. Stanford's was a 3-4 line email. Least you can do is write a proper email after raking in that sweet application fee. Alas. 

5 hours ago, sayf said:

Haha, they're not playing. Stanford's was a 3-4 line email. Least you can do is write a proper email after raking in that sweet application fee. Alas. 

Yep. Thought it was kind of brutal too: "your application has not been successful." Yike.