Fall 2022 Religion PhD

sayf

8 hours ago, sayf said:

Haha, they're not playing. Stanford's was a 3-4 line email. Least you can do is write a proper email after raking in that sweet application fee. Alas. 

Right???? Vanderbilt's was pricey as hell, and I have gotten zero notification from them. No "Thanks for applying", no updates, no rejections, no nothing. Oh well. 

16 hours ago, chasingchaos said:

Right???? Vanderbilt's was pricey as hell, and I have gotten zero notification from them. No "Thanks for applying", no updates, no rejections, no nothing. Oh well. 

That sucks. Sorry about Vandy. I am training myself to not be affected by the callousness of these grad committees. Some are brilliant, some are just..well..you know. 

6 hours ago, sayf said:

That sucks. Sorry about Vandy. I am training myself to not be affected by the callousness of these grad committees. Some are brilliant, some are just..well..you know. 

I hear ya. It's the same in publishing, too. "If you don't hear from us in 3 months, your piece wasn't accepted. No simulaneous submissions"?

Hi friends. Current ND PhD student here in CJA. 

If you're interviewing this upcoming weekend and have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM. 

I'll be helping to pick folks up from the airport and will also be speaking at the dinner on Friday (i think?) night, so it will be nice to meet you folks. 

54 minutes ago, hopetheosoon said:

@akadiva Do you know if in-person visit interviews already happened?

Confirming @akadiva's point. I'm an alum and was asked to sit in on a "applicant discussion" last month b/c they had specific questions about working as clergy full-time while being a PhD student full-time. Which is the position I found myself in while a student at GDR.

Low and behold, turned out it was an interview of the applicant. I think they said everyone opted for remote interviews but yea, I can't speak to what tracks didn't/did interview.

2 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Confirming @akadiva's point. I'm an alum and was asked to sit in on a "applicant discussion" last month b/c they had specific questions about working as clergy full-time while being a PhD student full-time. Which is the position I found myself in while a student at GDR.

Low and behold, turned out it was an interview of the applicant. I think they said everyone opted for remote interviews but yea, I can't speak to what tracks didn't/did interview.

Thank you both!

6 hours ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

If you're interviewing this upcoming weekend and have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM. 

I'll be helping to pick folks up from the airport and will also be speaking at the dinner on Friday (i think?) night, so it will be nice to meet you folks. 

As a former ND PhD student who was flown up for an interview, just wanted to say don't judge South Bend based on the airport ? (It can get you from point A to point B though) 

7 hours ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

Are they interviewing all concentrations this weekend? I hadn’t seen anyone say they were CJA invited to interview - which is the concentration I applied to. I guess it’s safe to assume at this point that I can expect a rejection in the next few days. 

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Are they interviewing all concentrations this weekend? I hadn’t seen anyone say they were CJA invited to interview - which is the concentration I applied to. I guess it’s safe to assume at this point that I can expect a rejection in the next few days. 

All of the interviews (except maybe peace studies?) happen this weekend. It’s tough. Beginning last year, they started taking only 2 CJA folks instead of 4.

any idea when yale + uchicago usually release info? is it often done in tandem? i talked to a faculty member at another school in that universe (who is not on a committee) who offhand mentioned that it is still rly early, many weeks out, til anyone will know anything re phd acceptances anywhere (which based on this site seems v untrue). i’ve been staying away from the drama of irl obsessing w others about this all, but as a result have no idea what’s to be expected. any inklings would be appreciated. 

13 minutes ago, reluctantly said:

any idea when yale + uchicago usually release info? is it often done in tandem? i talked to a faculty member at another school in that universe (who is not on a committee) who offhand mentioned that it is still rly early, many weeks out, til anyone will know anything re phd acceptances anywhere (which based on this site seems v untrue). i’ve been staying away from the drama of irl obsessing w others about this all, but as a result have no idea what’s to be expected. any inklings would be appreciated. 

When I applied to Yale's RLST program for Fall 2020, I received my rejection notification on February 17th. 

3 hours ago, reluctantly said:

Received interview request from UChicago today for ethics area. 

Still waiting to hear back from CUA after the preview events. But good news on another front this evening: I received an admissions offer from the Toronto School of Theology! I'm not prepared to think about the funding there yet though. 

4 hours ago, bigsh said:

Still waiting to hear back from CUA after the preview events. But good news on another front this evening: I received an admissions offer from the Toronto School of Theology! I'm not prepared to think about the funding there yet though. 

Congrats on your acceptance to TST! Can I ask which school you applied to? I'm waiting to hear back from them! 

@kcsmith199, I applied through Regis college. 

I have absolutely no idea what their admissions decision process looks like across the schools. And given that I know they didn't look at my application until after their admissions deadline had passed, I was totally surprised to see this result so quickly.