Fall 2022 Religion PhD

sayf

2 hours ago, ariajimmy said:

Anyone has the experience of their application being referred to another program? 

To another school or from like PhD to Master's? Cause I've seen the latter. I've only seen the former at the M* level when the applicant was a bad socio-political fit.

11 hours ago, Fiat said:

Nothing from Harvard CSR today?

Nothing on this end. Fingers crossed for today. Anyone heard anything from BU? There was one acceptance posted a few weeks ago, but not sure of its validity. 

1 hour ago, Taorluath34 said:

Nothing on this end. Fingers crossed for today. Anyone heard anything from BU? There was one acceptance posted a few weeks ago, but not sure of its validity. 

If you mean Boston University... I have heard about 3 acceptances so far and they all came out at different times, via phone call from potential advisors. I didn't apply to BU so that's all I know.

17 minutes ago, Fiat said:

If you mean Boston University... I have heard about 3 acceptances so far and they all came out at different times, via phone call from potential advisors. I didn't apply to BU so that's all I know.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks! 

On 2/23/2022 at 3:05 PM, Fiat said:

Nothing from Harvard yet, but it was confirmed by a current CSR student that the decisions have been made. They said they were sure when they will be released though. 

Why would there be such a significant delay between the decisions having been made and notification of the decision?

8 minutes ago, ksitigarbha said:

Why would there be such a significant delay between the decisions having been made and notification of the decision?

This is a generic comment, so not sure how much it might apply to a specific program. If they are preparing offers, they may need to make sure each offer or admissions letter is tailored to the individual conditions of each applicant. It's a straightforward admin task, but its possible that not every letter looks the same and it takes some time to get them all sorted. But, if that's the case, I'd imagine lots of schools wouldn't want to sit on them for that long (and yet it often feels like they do). 

8 minutes ago, bigsh said:

This is a generic comment, so not sure how much it might apply to a specific program. If they are preparing offers, they may need to make sure each offer or admissions letter is tailored to the individual conditions of each applicant. It's a straightforward admin task, but its possible that not every letter looks the same and it takes some time to get them all sorted. But, if that's the case, I'd imagine lots of schools wouldn't want to sit on them for that long (and yet it often feels like they do). 

I appreciate this response! Even if the anxious and impatient part of my heart is still squirming in anticipation :D

For those who are waiting for Harvard and U Penn, here is some information.

I emailed Harvard in mid Feb and they told me that "Decisions should be announced at some point in March." 

I emailed U Penn around the same time and they told me "Decisions for admissions should be made over the course of the next few weeks, and the department will be letting candidates know where they stand around mid-March."

It is disappointing that they are really just taking their sweet time, but it is a part of the process I guess. Good luck to all of you still waiting for offers.

5 minutes ago, Ezekiel Yang said:

For those who are waiting for Harvard and U Penn, here is some information.

I emailed Harvard in mid Feb and they told me that "Decisions should be announced at some point in March." 

I emailed U Penn around the same time and they told me "Decisions for admissions should be made over the course of the next few weeks, and the department will be letting candidates know where they stand around mid-March."

It is disappointing that they are really just taking their sweet time, but it is a part of the process I guess. Good luck to all of you still waiting for offers.

Wow, that feels like an unusually long time relative to when Harvard has released admission decisions in the past ?  (which seems to previously have been during the last week of February for acceptances).

17 minutes ago, ksitigarbha said:

Wow, that feels like an unusually long time relative to when Harvard has released admission decisions in the past ?  (which seems to previously have been during the last week of February for acceptances).

Yeah, I am really tired of waiting for letters that will decide my fate for the next 5-7 years. Since somebody else said Harvard has already made decisions. I am expecting the results to be out this week.

Hey people waiting on Harvard CSR. I reached out to my POI over the weekend and heard back today. They said that the GSAS will release their list of admitted students back to the committee this Friday and that they will get the decisions out immediately. Hopefully this helps those of us that have been thinking "oh maybe today!" 

I received a notice this morning that the the Faculty of Theology at KU Leuven recommended me for acceptance into the Research Master program there. Per my conversations with the admissions folks there, I understand that they tend to consider their Research Master degree as an almost mandatory prereq for doctoral admission, so I decided to apply to so as not to limit my options (they said they virtually never admit folks if they haven't done this degree). Funding info comes later, but Belgium sounds cool. Though not as cool as an actual PhD slot. I'd still need to apply for a doctoral program at Leuven once I finished this degree, and that's a bit of a tough sell, but not an immediate disqualifier.

Just now, RelLitGrad said:

It was me, email from professor then formal letter after 5pm

Congrats! What's your track/concentration?

Looks like I will just need to take the rejection then...

37 minutes ago, Fiat said:

Congrats! What's your track/concentration?

Looks like I will just need to take the rejection then...

I'm in studying religion & literature, focusing on contemporary fiction in relation to medieval mystical writing!