Counselling Psychology Applicants 2022 CANADA

cofffeee

3 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

Yes, thanks! I’ve heard of that too but I wonder what the reputation on these private schools are? I know they are accredited by CRPO but I wonder how they may look for hiring managers. 

I've heard really good things about Adler and quite a few people who I know studying there mentioned it is good.  Regarding hiring and how it looks on your resume, sure UofT has a big reputation and it is ideal, but I think it all boils down to your networking and connections you make when you're in grad school.  

9 minutes ago, cofffeee said:

Yorkville has January, May, and September intakes and applications are considered on a rolling basis (If you apply now you could likely start in September..maybe even May!). I am currently working at a psychotherapy clinic and 3 of our practicum students are Yorkville students. They speak highly of it and seem to be well trained and prepared for practicum work! Definitely worth considering :)

I've also seen graduates of Yorkville working/interning in different clinics, so at first glance, there doesn't appear to be any issues regarding credibility. Honestly, being accredited is key and that program is, so I think it's fine. It was also going to be a back up plan for me as well, but after reevaluating things, I don't think I can handle the financial cost for the program, which is almost double the tuition of other programs.

@cofffeee do you mind sharing what clinic it is? been hearing that it's hard for Yorkville students to find practicum spots so i'm taking note of the clinics that do accept them

For anyone who applied to the OISE program, I just called the admissions office and they told me that they have NOT made any decisions about applications yet and that they will be making decisions and sending them out in the next couple of weeks.

very unfortunate since the waiting already feels like forever.

7 minutes ago, stillpsych said:

@cofffeee do you mind sharing what clinic it is? been hearing that it's hard for Yorkville students to find practicum spots so i'm taking note of the clinics that do accept them

When I was looking at clinics in Calgary, Alberta to see what kinds of qualifications psychologists had I noticed that a lot went to Yorkville or Christian universities/colleges. So you could look up clinics in Toronto and see where their psychologists received their masters maybe

Edited by optimisticfutureinpsyc

8 minutes ago, stillpsych said:

yup! I just messaged you :)

7 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

For anyone who applied to the OISE program, I just called the admissions office and they told me that they have NOT made any decisions about applications yet and that they will be making decisions and sending them out in the next couple of weeks.

pleaseeeeee i did not need this today loll ?

5 minutes ago, ManukaHoney said:

What about those that have to get back to other universities about accepting/rejecting an offer of admission by the end of March? UofC SACP is asking for a response by March 27... I don't know how it works, but can you accept an offer from one school and reject it later if you receive an offer from a school that was your top choice later?

Just now, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

What about those that have to get back to other universities about accepting/rejecting an offer of admission by the end of March? UofC SACP is asking for a response by March 27... I don't know how it works, but can you accept an offer from one school and reject it later if you receive an offer from a school that was your top choice later?

I am honestly not too sure! Maybe call the admissions office at UofC?

1 hour ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I've also seen graduates of Yorkville working/interning in different clinics, so at first glance, there doesn't appear to be any issues regarding credibility. Honestly, being accredited is key and that program is, so I think it's fine. It was also going to be a back up plan for me as well, but after reevaluating things, I don't think I can handle the financial cost for the program, which is almost double the tuition of other programs.

I have seen a lot of graduates from Yorkville working at different clinics as well, and many students I spoke to who went there all were able to find practicums/jobs without much problem. I think its also important to note, that the harder and more limited other programs are in Canada (the Guelf situation, McGill not taking applicants this year, and the growing competitiveness in general) I think a lot of students are going to resort to these programs. The tuition is crazy though, but for students who are privileged to be able to afford it, I think it is a contender! (I also saw that they are looking for a director for their upcoming Master in Marriage and Couple Therapy program that will probably launch in the next couple years I'm thinking!) 

I had emailed UofA regarding SCCP (thesis) and got this response

“We have sent out our first offers and waitlist. We have not rejected any applications that made it to the review stage. I think it would be unlikely that we make an offer to you.”

Bit of a bummer but thought I would share in case anyone else has been anxiously waiting :( 

7 minutes ago, wannabeclinical said:

“We have sent out our first offers and waitlist. We have not rejected any applications that made it to the review stage. I think it would be unlikely that we make an offer to you.”

Bit of a bummer but thought I would share in case anyone else has been anxiously waiting :( 

Ouch... I wonder if that's the same for the Counselling Psych thesis-based program? I don't wanna email hahaha I'm too scared 

2 hours ago, ManukaHoney said:

Was that for the MED or CCP? I feel like it may apply to both anyways though haha

Does anyone have an update on the complaints made to various boards regarding the gross way that Guelph handled their applications? I just received my rejection today on Guelph WebAdvisor, and it hurts. Even though I know that I was not personally rejected, but rather everyone was just told they were reject because the program literally isn't running, it's making me feel nasty and like I have been taken advantage of by a school and administration the had the chance to be transparent but chose secrecy and loopholes.

I would be interested to hear about if anyone has heard back from those they made complaints to, or that post about the newspaper that wanted to run a story.

1 hour ago, wannabeclinical said:

1 hour ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Ouch... I wonder if that's the same for the Counselling Psych thesis-based program? I don't wanna email hahaha I'm too scared 

Ahh i wish we would find out soon. The wait is killing me or at least know somewhat of a timeline. 

2 hours ago, PsycTherapy said:

Does anyone know what the tuition for Alder University is? and when the deadline to apply would be?

They are a private school so the fees are high.  I found their fees here https://www.adler.ca/index.php/psychology/prospective-students/tuition-fees

They are rolling admissions, similar to Yorkville

4 hours ago, optimisticfutureinpsyc said:

I think you can usually accept an offer (and pay the deposit, if required) just to secure your spot but then you can reject it after. I think that may be why some people don't get off waitlists until May or summer time because of people rejecting offers late. But definitely call/email to make sure!

Bad news bears for U of A Thesis. I emailed to clarify what it means if you haven't been rejected, waitlisted, or accepted yet. As they have sent out offers already, it basically means they are having you on standby in case everyone from the waitlist declines, as the waitlist for thesis "isn't very long". I am extremely confused - why not just make the waitlist longer then?

Edited by carlrogersfan98

7 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Bad news bears for U of A Thesis. I emailed to clarify what it means if you haven't been rejected, waitlisted, or accepted yet. As they have sent out offers already, it basically means they are having you on standby in case everyone from the waitlist declines, as the waitlist for thesis "isn't very long". I am extremely confused - why not just make the waitlist longer then?

I am going to send an email regarding information for both the thesis and course based :)