Planning Admissions 2022

7 minutes ago, TheTreePrince said:

This! Desperately waiting but I haven’t come across anyone who’s gotten a decision yet. Some Canadian unis seem to be sending decisions later than last year based on my quick check of last year’s results pages so not sure when to expect to hear back.

Hearya. Such a long journey...

2 hours ago, nacohhhhh said:

Waitlisted at UCLA. Anyone know if they usually accept anyone off their waitlist?

If anyone’s planning to turn them down please let them know :)

Did they email you or was it listed on your portal?

On 1/10/2022 at 10:31 AM, TomorrowsParties said:

Hey everyone, thanks for getting this started! 

Age/Gender/Citizenship

21/M/US

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

BS Urban Studies, minor in Architecture + 1 year study abroad / Expected May 2022

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

3.76 cumulative / 4.00 major + 4.00 UD / GRE: 159V, 162Q, 4.0AWA (:/)

Work Experience:

Construction management internship - land use, site evaluation, community engagement, and stakeholder analysis.  Other work involves starting a musical instrument repair business and being a medical/surgical assistant.

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

3 advisors/professors within the field of the built environment: affordable housing economist, graduate director of architecture, and urban designer.

Schools applied to: Columbia, Harvard, Pratt, U Calgary, UI Chicago

In: Pratt ($$) 

Out: Harvard

Wait-listColumbia

Awaiting: U Calgary, UI Chicago

Results:

Good luck everyone!

Admitted to Pratt, denied from Harvard, and waitlisted today at Columbia. Thank you to all for contributing to this board for future applicants! Anyone hear back from UIC yet?

14 hours ago, TomorrowsParties said:

Admitted to Pratt, denied from Harvard, and waitlisted today at Columbia. Thank you to all for contributing to this board for future applicants! Anyone hear back from UIC yet?

Re: UIC, nope! Super frustrating. I emailed Dr. Tilahun on Monday of last week and he said they were "currently aiming to  send out letters by the end of next week." Which would be this Friday, March 18. Getting pretty impatient as they're my top choice but I'd like to know if I am eligible for any funding from them before I make a decision about re-signing my lease here in Chicago! I wish they'd been more realistic about the timeline during the info session this past winter. ? 

Right? I was starting to think I was crazy and had imagined them giving us a shorter timeline. 

1 hour ago, lazerdunk said:

Re: UIC, nope! Super frustrating. I emailed Dr. Tilahun on Monday of last week and he said they were "currently aiming to  send out letters by the end of next week." Which would be this Friday, March 18. Getting pretty impatient as they're my top choice but I'd like to know if I am eligible for any funding from them before I make a decision about re-signing my lease here in Chicago! I wish they'd been more realistic about the timeline during the info session this past winter. ? 

I think I have been waitlisted at USC and/or Pratt. A kind request to anyone who doesn't want to attend them, to reject your offer. These are my top choices and the long wait is driving me crazy. Please please reject your offer if you don't plan on attending!

Still waiting to hear from UMD about their PhD admissions.  Application deadline was January 17, so it's been a full two months now, and their spring break starts on Monday.  Early on, their graduate school shared information that if we haven't heard by spring break that would "not be a good sign."

I emailed the program chair last week to ask about timelines and got the following response: "The process has been delayed for a few reasons.  We have got a long list, but it will take more time to finalize admission decisions.  I wish I could give you a clearer answer for the schedule, but it depends on how quickly some other faculty inform me of their decisions and funding situations."

So I'm hoping y'all can help me decipher this a bit - or let me know if I'm reading too much in!  It sounds to me like I'm at a minimum on the long list, but that there may be some funding problems, which I find concerning.  But it also seems from the tone of the email like they want to keep me engaged, which makes me think I still have a good shot for admission with funding?  

Any insights would be helpful!

TYIA!

21 hours ago, Reverseosmosisjones said:

For those of you accepted at UCLA, have you received the email to SIR yet?

I’m waiting on mine, and was thinking about emailing someone about it since it’s now about a week and a half from the initial departmental acceptance.

Still haven’t gotten it yet but other folks/friends at UCLA say it sometimes takes a bit for the grad division email to go out. Hopefully it’ll come soon but I’m not too worried that it hasn’t yet. 

1 hour ago, stop making sense said:

Still haven’t gotten it yet but other folks/friends at UCLA say it sometimes takes a bit for the grad division email to go out. Hopefully it’ll come soon but I’m not too worried that it hasn’t yet. 

I asked Sean about it yesterday and he said the grad department is impacted so it may take awhile for the official letter and SIR page to come out. So no need to worry about it. 

On 3/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, ericplans said:

Still waiting to hear from UMD about their PhD admissions.  Application deadline was January 17, so it's been a full two months now, and their spring break starts on Monday.  Early on, their graduate school shared information that if we haven't heard by spring break that would "not be a good sign."

I emailed the program chair last week to ask about timelines and got the following response: "The process has been delayed for a few reasons.  We have got a long list, but it will take more time to finalize admission decisions.  I wish I could give you a clearer answer for the schedule, but it depends on how quickly some other faculty inform me of their decisions and funding situations."

So I'm hoping y'all can help me decipher this a bit - or let me know if I'm reading too much in!  It sounds to me like I'm at a minimum on the long list, but that there may be some funding problems, which I find concerning.  But it also seems from the tone of the email like they want to keep me engaged, which makes me think I still have a good shot for admission with funding?  

Any insights would be helpful!

TYIA!

Hi Eric, I am a PhD applicant as well. I think the reply sounds positive—Actually, if you received a reply, that means something positive (from my perspective)! I know some schools have their funding decision making separated from admissions so that will certainly take a longer time. Not sure if that's the case with UMD. 

I once emailed to one professor that I'd love to work with and they replied basically the same (still making the decision, etc.), and I received an update very soon after their reply. Good luck with you!

I just received an email from UCLA saying to check my portal for my decision letter but when I go into my portal the link to view my letter was not there.

I contacted the admissions team but was curious if anyone else had this issue.

Edited by Quincy_Taft_Coolidge

35 minutes ago, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

I just received an email from UCLA saying to check my portal for my decision letter but when I go into my portal the link to view my letter was not there.

I contacted the admissions team but was curious if anyone else had this issue.

Hi. Facing the same thing. Not sure what to do about it. I emailed them as well.

22 hours ago, planningapplicant said:

Those accepted at Queen's, has your portal switched yet? Mine still says "application submitted" with nowhere to accept the offer. No official letter yet either. I got emailed a week ago that I'm in. Wondering if I should reach out or if this is typical? 

My portal has a "view decision" option that links to my offer letter. It's been there since the day of my acceptance email. Might be worth calling otherwise you can't click on decline or accept. Or ask online on the 23rd.

On 2/17/2022 at 4:20 PM, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

Schools applied to: Cal Poly SLO, University of Arizona, University of Utah, USC, UCLA, Portland State, UT Austin

In: Cal Poly SLO, University of Arizona, Portland State, UT Austin, USC

Out: University of Utah, UCLA

Final Result: April 8 (UT Austin vs. USC)

Rejected from UCLA. This ends my application cycle.

I have narrowed my decision between UT Austin and USC.

I have rejected all other offers. If you are on the waitlist for UT Austin or USC I will probably make my decision by April 8.

Edited by Quincy_Taft_Coolidge

On 1/16/2022 at 6:17 PM, trustee said:

Age/Gender/Citizenship

23/M/USA

Undergraduate degree/School/Year graduated 

B.Arch. / Regional #1 / May 2022

GPA - GRE  - TOEFL (for Int'l students) 

CGPA 3.53 | CGPA 3.7(community college), NO GRE

Work Experience:

summer urban planning research at university

summer internship at an architecture firm

Letter of recommendations: (from whom)

3 from former professors 

Schools applied to: UPenn MCP, Cornell MRP, Michigan MUD, Columbia GSAPP MAUD

In: Cornell MRP (8k stipend each academic year), Michigan MUD (15k), Columbia GSAPP MSAUD (no funding)

Out: UPenn MCP

Wait-list:

Awaiting:

Results:

Update: In at Columbia with $0 funding? Also, out at UPenn...  

This is certainly exciting news but I don't know if I want to be in $100000+ debt or not

5 hours ago, Quincy_Taft_Coolidge said:

Rejected from UCLA. This ends my application cycle.

I have narrowed my decision between UT Austin and USC.

I have rejected all other offers. If you are on the waitlist for UT Austin or USC I will probably make my decision by April 8.

UCLA reject letter from email? thanks

5 minutes ago, YYY666 said:

UCLA reject letter from email? thanks

If you got an email to check your application portal your decision letter should be available to view.

If you did not get this email I would check your portal. If it is not there than I would email the admissions team.

Most of the decisions that were sent were rejections.