2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

39 minutes ago, Electricladder said:

Thank you for this ?

It’s my first time applying and although I’ve have had prelim interviews with a few programs, I am trying to prepare for the worst case scenario. I have applied to several other masters programs (not psychology) and I am wondering if it would be wise to do a master in another field (i.e MPH, or epidemiology) and apply again to clinical psych instead of PhD level. Now masters such as epidemiology are much more quantitative so do you think it would be seen more favourable to admission committees if we don’t get accepted to clinical psyc this year? Does anyone have recommendations. 

My thoughts/opinion.... 

I think it's worth reflecting on wether you are also interested in the research topics/coursework of these other programs. If you are, then it's definitely worth it!! Would you be happy taking those programs if they didn't help lead to a clinical psych degree later? If no, then it might not be a good fit. If the masters degrees are worthy education for you, then it could be a huge bonus if they also help lead to a clinical degree later - but if that's you're primary/only motive then I would put some more thought into it (in my personal opinion). 

18 minutes ago, clinclin said:

Should’ve asked this earlier but for those who applied to oise does your application only say ‘submitted’. Should it say something like under review? Mine only says submitted  thanks!

Mine still says submitted!

32 minutes ago, Terelia said:

Personally, I kind of wished that I would have applied to other masters programs as "back-up" plans the first two times I applied. Finding research assistant jobs can be kind of difficult depending on your location and from my experience, you can only get so much out of a research assistant position. A lot of my research assistant positions haven't really gotten past the "surface level" stuff (ie. data collection, participant management/recruitment, etc.). I haven't had that many opportunities to work on papers they way that you likely would in a masters program. However, every supervisor is different so some people may get more opportunities that others. The big upside is that I'm still living at home so I've been able to put away a lot into savings over the last two years which is comforting. I also thinking taking time away from school has been good for me stress-wise and allowed me to appreciate research more because I'm not working to get a "certain grade."

With a masters, you're expected to be taking a significant role in a research project and ideally working towards a publication on that project (and maybe others depending on the program/supervisor). You'll also get more experience in statistics through course work and with a thesis - and likely have a good strong reference at the end of the program. The potential downside - it might cost some more $$ and I think depending on the program, it's a bit frowned upon to leave a program after a masters but people change their minds so it's really not the end of the world. 

Because I'm on my third cycle, I would have likely had a masters this Spring if I would have applied gotten into a masters program immediately after completing my undergrad BUT I couldn't have predicted that two years ago so it is what it is. 

That's just my experience and my thoughts - I'd love to hear others weigh in on this though!

Really great to hear your experience/perspective. 

As someone who has a Master's degree as well as work experience as a research assistant, I think both have a lot to offer. Personally, I published based on my work as an RA but did not based on my master's - so I think it might vary or depend on the PI you work for. 

I like that you've brought up some other relevant variables. I do believe that it's important to think more about the context (e.g. $$, lifestyle) when making these decision, as well.

Hope that helps!

8 minutes ago, Lavender_1 said:

Really great to hear your experience/perspective. 

As someone who has a Master's degree as well as work experience as a research assistant, I think both have a lot to offer. Personally, I published based on my work as an RA but did not based on my master's - so I think it might vary or depend on the PI you work for. 

I like that you've brought up some other relevant variables. I do believe that it's important to think more about the context (e.g. $$, lifestyle) when making these decision, as well.

Hope that helps!

Interesting to hear about your experience/ perspective on working as a RA vs. doing a master's - everything seems so PI dependent!

1 hour ago, Lavender_1 said:

My thoughts/opinion.... 

I think it's worth reflecting on wether you are also interested in the research topics/coursework of these other programs. If you are, then it's definitely worth it!! Would you be happy taking those programs if they didn't help lead to a clinical psych degree later? If no, then it might not be a good fit. If the masters degrees are worthy education for you, then it could be a huge bonus if they also help lead to a clinical degree later - but if that's you're primary/only motive then I would put some more thought into it (in my personal opinion). 

I'm going to fully echo this. I did a research master's to improve my application, but I kept in mind two things: 1) I really liked the degree and the material was really informative and interesting for me and 2) the lab publishes a lot and was supportive from the start of me applying to doctoral level programs after (in research or clinical).

Some thesis based degrees get funding more easily as well, but you also have to take into account the cost, and also that you're going to hit the ground running and do a lot of work during your application season, unless you opt to only apply after you graduate. However, it can be a possibility.

5 hours ago, ClinicalPsychBean said:

I heard back in early Jan for a preliminary interview with BT. She said they'd send out the official interview invites Jan 21st, so we'll see! 

Shucks I had BT as my first choice and I haven’t received anything yet. Wishing everyone good luck !

15 minutes ago, Gradschool2022 said:

Has anyone heard from McMaster, Ottawa, or Concordia about formal interviews? Does anyone have inside scoop on their admissions process? 

I haven't heard anything formal from Mac. Getting a bit antsy as the days go on! Unfortunately don't have any insider info.

2 hours ago, Gradschool2022 said:

Has anyone heard from McMaster, Ottawa, or Concordia about formal interviews? Does anyone have inside scoop on their admissions process? 

1 hour ago, babooshka said:

I haven't heard anything formal from Mac. Getting a bit antsy as the days go on! Unfortunately don't have any insider info.

Someone on the Clinical/counselling psychology discord has an interview for McMaster RCT. Not sure who their POI is though.

1 hour ago, psyc2020 said:

Someone on the Clinical/counselling psychology discord has an interview for McMaster RCT. Not sure who their POI is though.

Thanks for the info! Do you know on which page of the forum they posted this? I can find the poster and DM them to see if they’re comfortable sharing their POI initials :) 

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned the discord page, not the forum. Sorry! 

Edited by Gradschool2022

Not to cause any paranoia for people who were rejected from York so early on but there's a person on the MSW page who reached out after their portal changed to "unsuccessful" and was told it was because they didn't meet the B+ average. Long story short, the admissions committee calculated the GPA wrong and the person is now back under consideration. If you're at all suspicious about why you were rejected so soon, may not hurt to looking into things!