2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

This is a forum to discuss everything application related for the cohort for fall 2022 to clinical psychology graduate programs in Canada. This is my second cycle applying to PhD, and have decided to also apply to second Master's programs (I already have a Master's degree in applied psychology) as it seems that most schools take their own Master's students to PhD first. I wonder if anyone else has been in a similar position?

Edited by Psycholo-genius
added info

? Hello there,

This is my third time applying. From my experience, there are at least a few number of people in similar positions - with a master from someplace else and then getting a second master's. I am one of them ? 

I got an applied master's quite some time ago and currently doing a research master's - recent research experience and references was what was missing from my application, since I worked a lot of years in clinical roles. My current master's has the option to continue on to a research PhD, however, I will be instead applying to clinical psych PhDs. 

What I do know is that many programs will be willing to work with you to see if you can transfer in some classes/ your previous thesis so they might advance you to the PhD sooner, but it really depends on the program. They usually talk to you about these things once you've been admitted. For clinical psych, they prefer their own master's students indeed, but that is how the program is designed. But you don't necessarily need to gain another master's along the way.

And a shocking tangent - one of my lab mates who applied last year was interviewing at the same time for a clinical psych lab with a person who already had their PhD ? I do hope I can get an offer this application season, because things just seem to get more and more competitive.

Best of luck!

11 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

? Hello there,

This is my third time applying. From my experience, there are at least a few number of people in similar positions - with a master from someplace else and then getting a second master's. I am one of them ? 

I got an applied master's quite some time ago and currently doing a research master's - recent research experience and references was what was missing from my application, since I worked a lot of years in clinical roles. My current master's has the option to continue on to a research PhD, however, I will be instead applying to clinical psych PhDs. 

What I do know is that many programs will be willing to work with you to see if you can transfer in some classes/ your previous thesis so they might advance you to the PhD sooner, but it really depends on the program. They usually talk to you about these things once you've been admitted. For clinical psych, they prefer their own master's students indeed, but that is how the program is designed. But you don't necessarily need to gain another master's along the way.

And a shocking tangent - one of my lab mates who applied last year was interviewing at the same time for a clinical psych lab with a person who already had their PhD ? I do hope I can get an offer this application season, because things just seem to get more and more competitive.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and suggestions!  Great work persisting through 3 cycles. It is so tough to get into these PhD clinical psychology programs. I have pretty amazing grades, publications, conference presentations, and so so much more..... and I did not even get an interview this year. Just crushed me. That is why I am considering a second master's. Perhaps an MSc instead of MA. And, hopefully they may take some of my credits [fingers crossed]. Best of luck to you too. Hopefully this thread will be of some help to everyone this cycle!

6 hours ago, PeanutButterBread said:

Hi everyone! Thanks for making this haha, I was literally just looking for a 2022 thread! This will be my first time applying to clinical psych programs so I'm super nervous, I guess we can all struggle together though lol :) 

Good luck! It is quite the process, exhilarating and anxiety inducing at the same time. :) Hopefully this will be a great forum for support through the process. Have you started looking at potential supervisors? 

50 minutes ago, Psycholo-genius said:

Good luck! It is quite the process, exhilarating and anxiety inducing at the same time. :) Hopefully this will be a great forum for support through the process. Have you started looking at potential supervisors? 

Thank you, I hope so too! It's great to talk to others who are going through the same process! :) And yes I have but unfortunately, not much luck so far! Either I get no response, they are retiring, or they are not taking new students lol however I still need to email a bunch more at other universities! I wonder if it's still too early to inquire though, not really sure. I just wanna be prepared

18 hours ago, PeanutButterBread said:

Thank you, I hope so too! It's great to talk to others who are going through the same process! :) And yes I have but unfortunately, not much luck so far! Either I get no response, they are retiring, or they are not taking new students lol however I still need to email a bunch more at other universities! I wonder if it's still too early to inquire though, not really sure. I just wanna be prepared

I am also wondering if it is too early?! Same here, just wanting to be prepared haha. Mind you, some of the potential supervisors I emailed last year (UWaterloo and Western) said they don't return emails as they dont want to be biased in assessing applications. So if they did not reply I maybe that is why? 

22 minutes ago, Psycholo-genius said:

I am also wondering if it is too early?! Same here, just wanting to be prepared haha. Mind you, some of the potential supervisors I emailed last year (UWaterloo and Western) said they don't return emails as they dont want to be biased in assessing applications. So if they did not reply I maybe that is why? 

Oh I see, that makes sense! That's kind of nice of them actually, but I still worry haha because I know a lot of admission into grad school is dependent if you have a faculty supervisor supporting you or not. I have not emailed faculty at waterloo or western yet, but thanks for the heads up about that.

Clinical psych is honestly my dream program, but since it's so competitive, I'm thinking it may also be a good idea to branch out and apply to other psych masters programs as well! Can I ask how was your masters program experience? ?

2 hours ago, PeanutButterBread said:

Oh I see, that makes sense! That's kind of nice of them actually, but I still worry haha because I know a lot of admission into grad school is dependent if you have a faculty supervisor supporting you or not. I have not emailed faculty at waterloo or western yet, but thanks for the heads up about that.

Clinical psych is honestly my dream program, but since it's so competitive, I'm thinking it may also be a good idea to branch out and apply to other psych masters programs as well! Can I ask how was your masters program experience? ?

Clinical psychology is also my dream <3, that is why I feel like I will apply to master's if needed...even though I've already done one that was pretty much clinical in nature! I did my master's in applied psychology at Laurentian University. We took courses for psychopathology and psychodiagnosis, psychological intervention, individual differences, statistics. I graduated in 2018 and have since been deemed eligible to begin registration as a psychological associate with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. However, I REALLY want to be a PhD level psychologist. I really enjoyed my master's experience. I found that the 2 years just flew by! I was lucky to have wonderful supervisors who helped me conduct an experiment of my creation and helped me complete my thesis in a timely manner. I enjoyed it enough that I am willing to do another ? hahaha. Can I ask where you are thinking of applying? 

3 hours ago, Psycholo-genius said:

Clinical psychology is also my dream <3, that is why I feel like I will apply to master's if needed...even though I've already done one that was pretty much clinical in nature! I did my master's in applied psychology at Laurentian University. We took courses for psychopathology and psychodiagnosis, psychological intervention, individual differences, statistics. I graduated in 2018 and have since been deemed eligible to begin registration as a psychological associate with the College of Psychologists of Ontario. However, I REALLY want to be a PhD level psychologist. I really enjoyed my master's experience. I found that the 2 years just flew by! I was lucky to have wonderful supervisors who helped me conduct an experiment of my creation and helped me complete my thesis in a timely manner. I enjoyed it enough that I am willing to do another ? hahaha. Can I ask where you are thinking of applying? 

I hope we will both get in eventually, it would be so amazing! :) and wow Laurentian! I totally forgot about that university, I will add that to my list now! The courses you took also sound very interesting and relevant to clinical psych, their program looks great, although I do not yet have 3 references unfortunately. I also want to get my PhD! I guess we're gonna be in school for a while lol. I'm so glad you had a great experience doing your masters and had wonderful supervisors- it's the best thing we can all hope for!

For now, the schools I am looking at are: Windsor, maybe Western, Queens, Waterloo, Dalhousie, UPEI, Laurier, York, McGill, McMaster, and maybe Acadia (I will also add Laurentian to the list!). I might end up not even applying to some of these though as I do not have some of their requirements... Also, for some I will just apply to their cognitive neuroscience programs instead of clinical psych lol I feel like getting into clinical is almost like winning the lottery at some schools- they really take such a low amount of people!

And what schools are you looking at (if comfortable sharing)?

Hi everyone. I'll be applying to Master's programs for the first time this year (both Clinical and Counselling). I am completing my 4th year in Honours Applied Psych. So far, I plan to apply to: Ryerson U, Concordia U, York U & U of T (Counselling and Clinical Psych - OISE).

I think like many other posts I've read so far in the forum, many of us question whether we're competitive enough to get in (i certainly question it 24/7). Makes this whole process that much more nerve-wracking. 

Any advice about these grad schools and their processes? Would be greatly appreciated!

On 6/25/2021 at 7:29 PM, PeanutButterBread said:

I hope we will both get in eventually, it would be so amazing! :) and wow Laurentian! I totally forgot about that university, I will add that to my list now! The courses you took also sound very interesting and relevant to clinical psych, their program looks great, although I do not yet have 3 references unfortunately. I also want to get my PhD! I guess we're gonna be in school for a while lol. I'm so glad you had a great experience doing your masters and had wonderful supervisors- it's the best thing we can all hope for!

For now, the schools I am looking at are: Windsor, maybe Western, Queens, Waterloo, Dalhousie, UPEI, Laurier, York, McGill, McMaster, and maybe Acadia (I will also add Laurentian to the list!). I might end up not even applying to some of these though as I do not have some of their requirements... Also, for some I will just apply to their cognitive neuroscience programs instead of clinical psych lol I feel like getting into clinical is almost like winning the lottery at some schools- they really take such a low amount of people!

And what schools are you looking at (if comfortable sharing)?

LU was a great school, but just be mindful that the master's terminates and that there is no PhD program, which makes it harder to continue because you then have to find another school to take you on for PhD and they are more likely to accept their own master's students :( That's my problem now! 

As for schools, we are applying to many of the same :)  I am applying to master's/combined programs at U Windsor (child track), McMaster RCT program, U Guelph (Clinical child program), Western (if they choose to forgo the GRE), York U, U of T (school and clinical child program), and PhD at U Waterloo.  

I was going to do GRE this year, however, I see many schools are not requesting it so I am not going to do it this year. That may be a downfall to my applications however. 

3 hours ago, space-psych said:

Hi everyone. I'll be applying to Master's programs for the first time this year (both Clinical and Counselling). I am completing my 4th year in Honours Applied Psych. So far, I plan to apply to: Ryerson U, Concordia U, York U & U of T (Counselling and Clinical Psych - OISE).

I think like many other posts I've read so far in the forum, many of us question whether we're competitive enough to get in (i certainly question it 24/7). Makes this whole process that much more nerve-wracking. 

Any advice about these grad schools and their processes? Would be greatly appreciated!

Hey! Sorry I don't really have any advice but just wanted to say that it's also my first time applying to masters programs! I wish you all the good luck with your application haha :) And don't worry, I'm always worrying that I am not competitive enough for clinical psych and the limited people they take at these schools honestly scares me... so you're not alone! We just need to survive through it somehow ig 

3 hours ago, space-psych said:

One of the best things my master's supervisor ever told me was that getting into the PhD is a matter of "when" and not "if". We just have to be persistent because one year we may be more competitive in applications than in others! Clinical psychology is a tough program to get into (more so than med and law school) and so we cant take it personally when we get those rejections ❤️ Good luck! Hopefully this forum will be a good tool for suggestions and recommendations throughout the application process!

5 minutes ago, Psycholo-genius said:

LU was a great school, but just be mindful that the master's terminates and that there is no PhD program, which makes it harder to continue because you then have to find another school to take you on for PhD and they are more likely to accept their own master's students :( That's my problem now! 

As for schools, we are applying to many of the same :)  I am applying to master's/combined programs at U Windsor (child track), McMaster RCT program, U Guelph (Clinical child program), Western (if they choose to forgo the GRE), York U, U of T (school and clinical child program), and PhD at U Waterloo.  

I was going to do GRE this year, however, I see many schools are not requesting it so I am not going to do it this year. That may be a downfall to my applications however. 

Thank you, I will keep that in mind! I don't mind getting into a terminal masters program but yeah it sucks that there's a low chance for other schools to accept you into the PhD programs! And nice! I wanted to apply to McMaster RCT as well but I think I will just apply to their neuroscience program instead :) and ohhh the GRE! I've never had to study for it or take it thankfully! I'm only gonna apply to the schools that don't require it I think (to my knowledge, most have cancelled it because of covid). Regarding my app, I have pretty good extra curriculars and volunteering experiences but the downfall for me will be my GPA unfortunately, which is why I am taking an additional year to increase it and get more research experience- although it is still worrying that it won't be enough..

13 minutes ago, PeanutButterBread said:

Thank you, I will keep that in mind! I don't mind getting into a terminal masters program but yeah it sucks that there's a low chance for other schools to accept you into the PhD programs! And nice! I wanted to apply to McMaster RCT as well but I think I will just apply to their neuroscience program instead :) and ohhh the GRE! I've never had to study for it or take it thankfully! I'm only gonna apply to the schools that don't require it I think (to my knowledge, most have cancelled it because of covid). Regarding my app, I have pretty good extra curriculars and volunteering experiences but the downfall for me will be my GPA unfortunately, which is why I am taking an additional year to increase it and get more research experience- although it is still worrying that it won't be enough..

if you do not mind terminal Master's program, then 100% i would apply to Laurentian :) Like I said, you can still apply to be a psychological associate (masters level psychologist) with the CPO with that degree. I work in private practice with competency in clinical psychology with children, adolescents, and adults. I really want to get into research again though and perhaps teaching so that is why I want to go back. 

A lower GPA may not be too bad with all of the extracurricular activities. That was smart to redo a year to improve your grade and research experience! Fingers crossed for you. I too am not applying to schools that require GRE, but most have forgone it this year thankfully. 

1 hour ago, Psycholo-genius said:

if you do not mind terminal Master's program, then 100% i would apply to Laurentian :) Like I said, you can still apply to be a psychological associate (masters level psychologist) with the CPO with that degree. I work in private practice with competency in clinical psychology with children, adolescents, and adults. I really want to get into research again though and perhaps teaching so that is why I want to go back. 

A lower GPA may not be too bad with all of the extracurricular activities. That was smart to redo a year to improve your grade and research experience! Fingers crossed for you. I too am not applying to schools that require GRE, but most have forgone it this year thankfully. 

Thank you for the info and encouragement! :) i appreciate it! I will definitely be applying to Laurentian as well, thanks for reminding me of that uni! I wish you good luck throughout this process as well. Ahhh I need to email way more profs lol I've slowed down

50 minutes ago, PeanutButterBread said:

Thank you for the info and encouragement! :) i appreciate it! I will definitely be applying to Laurentian as well, thanks for reminding me of that uni! I wish you good luck throughout this process as well. Ahhh I need to email way more profs lol I've slowed down

I haven’t emailed any yet if it makes you feel any better ?? My goal is to email for end of July as they will know by then about their incoming students of 2021!

1 hour ago, Psycholo-genius said:

I haven’t emailed any yet if it makes you feel any better ?? My goal is to email for end of July as they will know by then about their incoming students of 2021!

Lol maybe that's for the best, May and June were probably really busy anyway! and good idea for the end of July, I guess by then they should know whether they have enough funding or not?

4 hours ago, PeanutButterBread said:

Hey! Sorry I don't really have any advice but just wanted to say that it's also my first time applying to masters programs! I wish you all the good luck with your application haha :) And don't worry, I'm always worrying that I am not competitive enough for clinical psych and the limited people they take at these schools honestly scares me... so you're not alone! We just need to survive through it somehow ig 

Thank you for the best wishes, I wishing you all the best as well. We'll get through this in due time :) 

4 hours ago, Psycholo-genius said:

One of the best things my master's supervisor ever told me was that getting into the PhD is a matter of "when" and not "if". We just have to be persistent because one year we may be more competitive in applications than in others! Clinical psychology is a tough program to get into (more so than med and law school) and so we cant take it personally when we get those rejections ❤️ Good luck! Hopefully this forum will be a good tool for suggestions and recommendations throughout the application process!

Your Master's supervisor sounds very wise :) About the competitiveness - I've heard it varies from cycle to cycle too. I'm already bracing for rejections lol, but I wont let that stop me from being hopeful. Wishing you the best of luck with you endeavours into your second Master's :) I'm planning to stay active here and would love any suggestions/recommendations!

On 7/2/2021 at 8:02 AM, shuttleboooo said:

Hi everyone! I am an international student and I plan to do masters in provinces that allow masters-level psychologist. Anyone here wants to do masters as well?

Hi there! As far as I know, most programs here require you to complete a PhD to become a psychologist, but maybe you could check out Laurentian's program which has a terminal masters program! We talked about it above if you want to check it out^ I want to do a masters and a PhD in clinical psychology if possible, hopefully I can get in one day ?

I'll be applying to continue to the PhD in SCCP at UAlberta. I'm only applying to this program because my supervisor is such a great person and so easy to work with, I want to stay in Alberta and work permanently in the province, and the program is a perfect fit. Currently, I'm heading into my second year of my master's in SCCP this fall. As many of you have mentioned, once your foot is in the door, things get (somewhat) easier. I say somewhat easier because there's always going to be pressure to produce meaningful research contributions, secure funding, etc. Students who are currently completing their masters in my program and who apply for the PhD get prioritized in the application cycle, so I feel like a big weight has been lifted off of my shoulders in that regard. Originally, I wasn't sure if I'd continue to the PhD since I could technically register with my masters in Alberta and I'm itching to get back into the professional workforce, but given that the SCCP program is a dual specialization, I've realized that I need the full scope of training to feel competent in my field. Plus, the 1600-hour internship can be used to fulfill part of our registration requirement in Alberta for those wanting to be a psychologist, so it's nice that it's integrated in the PhD program.

For people who are just starting out and applying for CGS-M funding, my best advice is (1) feel free to take a few lines in your proposal to talk about yourself and your training/preparation. Your proposal doesn't have to be all about what you're going to research and the what, where, when, why and how of it all. You can also talk about why you're the best person to conduct the research, including your training and supports you have in place to ensure you will get the study done in a timely manner. Think of it as you're selling your study AND yourself to a reader/committee. As well, (2) it's often great to talk about dissemination and knowledge mobilization plans. It speaks to the impact your research will have. Finally, (3) get as many people as you can from within your field and outside of your field to read your proposal drafts. After many revisions, when I thought I was ready to submit my proposal, I had yet another person read it, which led to switching the order of paragraphs. Up until that point I had never considered changing the order of ideas that drastically. While I'm sure each university is different in what they look for, I can confirm that I did all of these things and I was successful in the 2020 CGS-M competition, so hopefully those little pieces of advice will help others.