2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

Hey everyone!

I'm currently working on my application to Memorial University's PsyD program and their personal statement/statement of interest is kind of confusing me. On the website it says a 500 word personal statement is included in question 1 of the SGS application. However, in the application there's an SOI section broken into three questions, each with a word count of 800. I tried emailing the secretary but it didn't really clarify whether we are supposed to fill in all 3 questions or just the first 500 words of the first question.

Now that I'm writing this it sounds way more confusing but if anyone has any advice that would be super helpful!! 

does anyone know how York FGS feels about students applying to more than one grad program? i'm planning on applying to a program within the department of psychology and their master of social work program (I think both are in the Faculty of Health), but was unsure if this would be perceived poorly by admissions or something? was just wondering since I know some schools recommend that students only apply to one grad program within the same department/faculty, and I couldn't find anything on the York admissions website related to this

Edited by okayidk

Ok so I know this is more of a rant, but whyyy have programs moved their deadlines this year? I know that most US ones are earlier, but Canadian programs were at least December 1st. And it's not even the whole Psych department for most of them, just the clinical program. Most of my materials for them were rushed (which I know the blame here lies on me), but my letter writers also have a busy period and it was hard on them too. Am I the only one annoyed by this? Will programs at least process the documents earlier and give us some results before the end of the year? 

Hi everyone, I have a few questions :( 

Anyone else applying to Dalhousie? On the application summary there's a box for "admission type" and mine says "previous academic work. Any idea what this means? 

Do you know if schools generally accept reference letters past the deadline? I noticed that most reference letter requests don't even include the due date on them, and I have one reference who hasn't responded to me in about a week and there's two references due tonight. Would they discard my application if one reference isn't submitted on time? 

1 hour ago, peachy59 said:

Anyone else applying to Dalhousie? On the application summary there's a box for "admission type" and mine says "previous academic work. Any idea what this means? 

Do you know if schools generally accept reference letters past the deadline? I noticed that most reference letter requests don't even include the due date on them, and I have one reference who hasn't responded to me in about a week and there's two references due tonight. Would they discard my application if one reference isn't submitted on time? 

Hi!

So the previous academic work basically means you're applying to a grad school program - and that it requires a bachelors (so a previous degree). Don't worry about it, it's pretty standard.

Regarding references - I can't say for sure, but most programs are pretty understanding that referees might not submit on time and there's not much you can do. You can always contact the program and see if they can give you an extension for references. 

Hi all!

I applied to McGill a couple of years ago when they required the GRE, and I think my scores are still connected to my application profile. Has anyone who applied previously had them taken off? (If yes, who did you email? The psyc admin says it has nothing to do with them!)

/ Is it bad to make a second application account with a different email, so that the scores aren't connected anymore? I don't think they do anything to help my application, so I don't want them to be included. 

Hi everyone, 

Another question - do you know if CGS-M applications show your application history when they get sent to the schools for review? i.e. if I submit the exact same proposal as last year, will anyone know? ?

Due to a lot of circumstances I don't have time to write a new one that would be as good quality as last years (even though my application from last year is less applicable to the supervisors I'm applying to this year)...  but I worry if they can see the same title two years in a row, etc, it might reflect badly or look lazy. 

Anyone have any insight/supervisors, friends, etc with insight into how the applications are received by the schools?

On 11/15/2021 at 8:17 AM, peachy59 said:

hey! for the letters, i was told that they would continue to be accepted after the deadline but thats what i was told through email however, they should be submitted asap. i would suggest emailing just so its like somewhat on your record (so if there's an issue in the future about why your letters might've been late, you can say you emailed and were told it was fine)

Hey everyone!!

I was just wondering whether anyone knows the specific instructions (page length, word limit, etc) for the Guelph CCAP personal statement? I can't submit my application yet as I'm waiting to hear from the school regarding a question I have, so I don't have access to the PS area, but I want to start writing it asap obviously!!!

Thanks!

Anyone applying to Waterloo? What is the difference in their portal between 'Thesis' and 'Master's research paper' when you select the type of program? Does this matter? I don't want to select the wrong thing!

Edited by emsmith

22 hours ago, AspiringClinPsych said:

Hey everyone!!

I was just wondering whether anyone knows the specific instructions (page length, word limit, etc) for the Guelph CCAP personal statement? I can't submit my application yet as I'm waiting to hear from the school regarding a question I have, so I don't have access to the PS area, but I want to start writing it asap obviously!!!

Thanks!

I am also wondering about the Guelph statement... does anyone know if the statement of academic intent (1000 words) on the admissions form is the only statement we are able to upload during the admissions process? I can't find any information on their website lol 

7 hours ago, Cdn_Psych_Today said:

I am working on my CGS-M application and wish I could find an example of how others have completed this? I'm applying to CIHR and have finished my CCV - but I just question every single thing I write. This is so intense. I have no idea if I'm competitive or what the average applicant has going into this app. 

I can relate to this feeling! I'm in the same boat. I would be interested in answers to this ?   @ competitiveness, I feel the base requirements to apply give a somewhat good idea of typical applicant profiles? (e.g. above 80% average, perhaps some publications/presentations, research experience) but thats just my educated guess as I ultimately don't know haha. 

Wishing you all the best with you CGS-M application!!

11 hours ago, Psychqueen said:

I am also wondering about the Guelph statement... does anyone know if the statement of academic intent (1000 words) on the admissions form is the only statement we are able to upload during the admissions process? I can't find any information on their website lol 

I reached out to both the admissions representative and the Psyc graduate program assistant and both responded that there are no formats/guidelines but that it needs to cover your research interests and longterm goals. They just made this change from a fillable PDF with specific questions on Nov 3 due to departmental changes so it doesn't feel very organized. They have said to ignore the 1000 word statement in the admissions form, you upload the statement in webadvisor once you receive an account. I hope this helps!

Hi all, anyone applying to Waterloo? I have another weird question about applications portals ? I want to submit my application form  but when I review it on the 2nd page under citizenship it says "foreign national" and then it says my primary citizenship is Canadian... Anyone else's application say they were a foreign national? ?  I'm not sure why that's coming up, because my address etc that I entered is all in Canada! I don't want to submit it if it's wrong, and the program admin aren't replying to emails... 

13 hours ago, psyc2020 said:

I reached out to both the admissions representative and the Psyc graduate program assistant and both responded that there are no formats/guidelines but that it needs to cover your research interests and longterm goals. They just made this change from a fillable PDF with specific questions on Nov 3 due to departmental changes so it doesn't feel very organized. They have said to ignore the 1000 word statement in the admissions form, you upload the statement in webadvisor once you receive an account. I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for sharing! This is so helpful :)

For the Queens application, it has a section asking for publications, do you think it's okay to list ones that are currently in progress? I included that on my regular CV but since it's set up a bit differently on the website I'm not sure if that's okay ?

12 hours ago, AspiringClinPsych said:

For the Queens application, it has a section asking for publications, do you think it's okay to list ones that are currently in progress? I included that on my regular CV but since it's set up a bit differently on the website I'm not sure if that's okay ?

I've been told by supervisors to only include 'in progress' manuscripts on your CV/applications if they've actually been submitted to a journal for review, or if they've been provisionally accepted etc, and then you can say that they are 'under review' at a journal. I guess technically anyone can just make up a title and authors etc and say that a manuscript is 'in progress' just to have it on their CV with no intent to publish or no evidence that it will be publishable, so I think if you can say that it's been submitted to a journal that makes it a bit more legit. 

On 11/21/2021 at 6:18 PM, AspiringClinPsych said:

I hate the Queen's application for this reason. I feel like it doesn't fully represent me as an applicant. I found it so hard to list my research experience - I put it under employment but boy is it ever disorganized.

4 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

I hate the Queen's application for this reason. I feel like it doesn't fully represent me as an applicant. I found it so hard to list my research experience - I put it under employment but boy is it ever disorganized.

I have the same feelings towards it!! I also ended up putting my research experience under employment so hopefully they are okay with that ? The resume/skills section is my least favourite part though.

14 hours ago, peachpits said:

For anyone applying to UVic, is the statement of interest 2 pages double-spaced or single-spaced? 

I called the psychology graduate secretary to ask about this a few weeks ago and she said they purposely left it up to interpretation! So do whatever feels right for you and your application :) 

Edited by AspiringClinPsych

26 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

Quick question for people applying to McMaster - where do I upload my CV? I can't seem to find that anywhere in the online application portal.

I emailed them about this and they said there's nowhere to upload your CV because it's not part of the application package!