2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

Did anyone apply to UOttawa this year? I applied November 25 and still haven't receive the login information to submit my documents/the names of my referees. I received an email Tuesday (Nov 30) saying they were trying to load my online application but were coming up with someone with "similar credentials to mine". They asked a few confirmation questions, I responded right away, and then it's been silence ever since. Not sure if I should follow up or wait the 10 days they say it can take to get login info... 

9 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Did anyone apply to UOttawa this year? I applied November 25 and still haven't receive the login information to submit my documents/the names of my referees. I received an email Tuesday (Nov 30) saying they were trying to load my online application but were coming up with someone with "similar credentials to mine". They asked a few confirmation questions, I responded right away, and then it's been silence ever since. Not sure if I should follow up or wait the 10 days they say it can take to get login info... 

Hi!

I applied to Ottawa twice and it usually took around a week to get the credentials to upload the supporting documents. Their uozone system is not at all intuitive, which is the reason for one of my previous rants about them. 

When I applied again this year, they asked if I applied in the past, because I think they do a check to match accounts. They found mine from 2 years ago and sent me the same credentials basically. It might be possible that they did a similar check with yours and somehow found someone with a similar name/info? If you haven't applied to them in the past that might be one explanation. I would give it a full week after your last contact with them and if they don't respond by say tomorrow, I would check in with them to see if they need additional information to create your account. Hope you get sorted out soon. 

10 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Hi!

I applied to Ottawa twice and it usually took around a week to get the credentials to upload the supporting documents. Their uozone system is not at all intuitive, which is the reason for one of my previous rants about them. 

When I applied again this year, they asked if I applied in the past, because I think they do a check to match accounts. They found mine from 2 years ago and sent me the same credentials basically. It might be possible that they did a similar check with yours and somehow found someone with a similar name/info? If you haven't applied to them in the past that might be one explanation. I would give it a full week after your last contact with them and if they don't respond by say tomorrow, I would check in with them to see if they need additional information to create your account. Hope you get sorted out soon. 

Okay, thanks so much for this information! Sounds like they have issues with people applying multiple times lol. I still had no reply today, so I'll definitely email tomorrow. Thanks again!

Hi! Can someone clarify the uOttawa application deadlines for me? The website says "In order to be considered for admission for September 2022, your admission application must be submitted by December 15th, 2021, and the file must be complete with all required documents at the latest January 8th, 2022."

Does this mean if I've already submitted the OUAC application (which I have), I have until Jan. 8th to upload my SOI/CV/reference info? Because that's what I interpreted it as but now I'm second guessing myself...

14 hours ago, okayidk said:

Does this mean if I've already submitted the OUAC application (which I have), I have until Jan. 8th to upload my SOI/CV/reference info? Because that's what I interpreted it as but now I'm second guessing myself...

I think this is correct. You should have until then to submit everything else. 

7 hours ago, space-psych said:

Is anyone else somewhat excited to receive decisions about the programs they've applied to? I know its quite early, but I'm looking forward to seeing the decisions roll-in (no matter if they are rejections or emails for interview). Does anyone else feel the same way?? 

I think a lot of people are looking forward to get interview invites, since that is usually the next step. I personally am looking forward to decisions, of course, but that might be a longer wait :)

On 12/10/2021 at 4:34 PM, SoundofSilence said:

I think a lot of people are looking forward to get interview invites, since that is usually the next step. I personally am looking forward to decisions, of course, but that might be a longer wait :)

I meant interview invites, but I wasn't clear lol ?. However, it's also possible to get an early flat-out rejection (though I hope no one here has this experience). I also noticed last year some applicants for the University of Waterloo's Clinical Psych program got their invites around Dec 20th, so I'm keeping my eyes out!

Do you think most programs will be doing interviews etc all virtually this year? (/has anyone spoken to any of the programs about this by any chance?) I'm really hoping we won't be required to do any in-person interviews or program days at this stage.

I haven't been invited to interview before so I don't know what the process was like last year. I'm living outside of Canada for work at the moment, and with travel restrictions/testing requirements it's a real pain and unrealistic for me to travel at the moment for just a day or two...

5 hours ago, emsmith said:

Do you think most programs will be doing interviews etc all virtually this year? (/has anyone spoken to any of the programs about this by any chance?) I'm really hoping we won't be required to do any in-person interviews or program days at this stage.

I haven't been invited to interview before so I don't know what the process was like last year. I'm living outside of Canada for work at the moment, and with travel restrictions/testing requirements it's a real pain and unrealistic for me to travel at the moment for just a day or two...

Can't provide an answer to your question, but I certainly hope they'll provide a virtual option. Especially with the rise of omicron cases, I would assume in-person interviews may be discouraged. 

I'm also a new applicant for grad programs and tbh the whole interview process is a little daunting right now. Does anyone have advice for interview prep? Any resources/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, emsmith said:

Most programs let you know at least a week or more in advance, in my experience around 10-14 days or so. 

Even before the pandemic they did virtual interviews when it was difficult for the applicant to be in person. I was overseas two years ago and got multiple virtual interviews right before the pandemic started, so I think they are pretty understanding. Also I have a virtual interview scheduled for tomorrow, so at least some programs are doing it remote this year.

For prep, there are multiple resources out there (like this more "famous" one: https://mitch.web.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/4922/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf) but honestly, you'll never be able to anticipate all of the possible questions. My take on this is to usually have a good brief intro about your yourself, why clinical psych / this program, and then be able to talk about your research interests and experience in some detail.

13 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

Most programs let you know at least a week or more in advance, in my experience around 10-14 days or so. 

Even before the pandemic they did virtual interviews when it was difficult for the applicant to be in person. I was overseas two years ago and got multiple virtual interviews right before the pandemic started, so I think they are pretty understanding. Also I have a virtual interview scheduled for tomorrow, so at least some programs are doing it remote this year.

For prep, there are multiple resources out there (like this more "famous" one: https://mitch.web.unc.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/4922/2017/02/MitchGradSchoolAdvice.pdf) but honestly, you'll never be able to anticipate all of the possible questions. My take on this is to usually have a good brief intro about your yourself, why clinical psych / this program, and then be able to talk about your research interests and experience in some detail.

@SoundofSilence Good luck with your interview! :) & thank you so much for the advice and link

Edited by space-psych

On 12/12/2021 at 12:49 PM, SoundofSilence said:

What school do you have an interview with? And is it an informal interview?

Hi everyone, just a general question when reflecting on the application process. Prior to submitting an application, did you all email every single prof that you were applying to? And if so, how many of them responded? This is already assuming that those profs have been listed on the school's website that they are accepting students. 

Prior to applying I emailed all the profs for 3/5 programs I applied to and only got responses from one :(

I'm not sure if this is typical or if this might be an early warning sign that they don't like me?  

2 minutes ago, peachy59 said:

Hi everyone, just a general question when reflecting on the application process. Prior to submitting an application, did you all email every single prof that you were applying to? And if so, how many of them responded? This is already assuming that those profs have been listed on the school's website that they are accepting students. 

Prior to applying I emailed all the profs for 3/5 programs I applied to and only got responses from one :(

I'm not sure if this is typical or if this might be an early warning sign that they don't like me?  

@peachy59 Hi there! I emailed 4/5 profs I listed and got replies from 3/4. I don't think its necessarily that they don't like your profile. It could very well be that they were receiving a massive amount of emails, or that they typically don't respond. I was warned by many people that it's not uncommon to not receive a reply. But ultimately, I don't have any definitive answers for you. I wouldn't put too much weight on this, as some people get replies and aren't selected for interview later in the process. Wishing you all the best! :) 

8 minutes ago, peachy59 said:

While I did email everyone I applied to, not everyone responded to me. Additionally, many sent very generic responses back so my email likely had no impact at all anyways. Profs are busy and some profs don't like to exchange emails because they feel it's unfair to the admission process more generally. 

In the past, I've gotten interviews from professors that haven't responded to my emails or have sent very generic responses to me. Additionally, I've gotten responses from professors who never ended up contacting me for an interview. Putting too much emphasis on initial emails is really not worth the stress. 

I do think it's a good idea to email in advance just to be sure that they are in fact accepting students (sometimes the website doesn't tell the full story) but otherwise it's certainly not going to ruin your application. I really wouldn't stress about it at this point. 

3 hours ago, Terelia said:

In the past, I've gotten interviews from professors that haven't responded to my emails or have sent very generic responses to me. Additionally, I've gotten responses from professors who never ended up contacting me for an interview. Putting too much emphasis on initial emails is really not worth the stress. 

I am going to echo everyone else and especially the above paragraph, since it has been true for me and other applicants I know. For this season I only got a few responses (mostly generic) from initial emails. It helps to check if some people are still taking on students, but overall that's about it. In the past, I got interviews from people that never saw/ replied to my initial email and then I had several email exchanges with POIs (including commenting on specific things from my CV) and then never got an interview with them. 

I know of only one case of a student who really hit it off with their POI  and then they really supported him to get into the program, but my experience tells me that it was a (very rare) exception. 

Try not to stress too much about this. There are many things that go into whether someone invites you for an interview, but I doubt initial email communication is that high on the list. 

Hey guys,
I'm not in clinical psych but I figured I would ask here. For those applying to Guelph, how long did it take for you to receive your login information after submitting?
I had to submit payment later than intended (11th) due to financial reasons and the application is due tomorrow but I still don't have my login information. I'm worried that it'll take longer than three days and I won't receive my information by tomorrow. Can anyone offer any help? ?

11 hours ago, peachy59 said:

I remember a person posting a few pages back saying they got into the OISE program and the POI that accepted her never responded to the email she sent him prior to applying. So, I definitely wouldn't read too much into it if not everyone has responded to you! :) 

1 hour ago, mewtru said:

Hey guys,
I'm not in clinical psych but I figured I would ask here. For those applying to Guelph, how long did it take for you to receive your login information after submitting?
I had to submit payment later than intended (11th) due to financial reasons and the application is due tomorrow but I still don't have my login information. I'm worried that it'll take longer than three days and I won't receive my information by tomorrow. Can anyone offer any help? ?

I just checked my emails and I submitted my application on the 14th and got my login info on the 16th (of November). It was exactly 2 days apart based on the time I sent it. 

Maybe contact the grad admin? They may be able to get it to you earlier or you may be able to send things via email. Wishing you luck! 

Edit: To add to this, I submitted my app on a business day/week day. Perhaps the reason this is delayed is because you submitted on a weekend? So maybe you’ll get it tomorrow? 

Edited by Terelia

Hi Everyone,
This is my second time applying this year. I got an interview at queens last year but I think I bombed the interview because one question threw me off guard. The supervisor asked what I wanted to do for my masters thesis. I have lots of research experience (worked for 3 profs as a research assistant, undergraduate supervisor, nserc ursa, honours thesis, research ambassador) but I've always been the style where I get to know the lab first and then come up with a project. So I had no idea that question was coming so early, specially just for the first round quick 30 minute interview. Does anyone have experience with this? How much detail are we supposed to provide? I didn't apply for u of calgary this year cause I was taken aback that they added a research proposal to the application process when i'm suggesting around 3 profs to work with but none of them are willing to chat much before so I only have a loose idea of the next projects they want to do in their lab. I have an interview with UBC coming up this week so any advice is very welcomed. Thank you!

Hi! I'm trying to submit my supplementary information form through York's portal, but every time I try accessing it I get an error message ? Is anyone else having the same issue? I was able to access it earlier but just went back to submit and it's not working