2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

What's good everyone!! After being rejected by all 6 programs I applied to last year, your girl is ready to give it another go this year!

I have a question about SOI's. If there were no specific requirements for the SOI aside from length, did/would you guys use single-spaced type? On all my SOI's I used 1.5 and in hindsight, if single-spacing or 1.15 spacing is okay, I sure wasted a lot of space that I could have used to make my SOI's much stronger!

20 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

What's good everyone!! After being rejected by all 6 programs I applied to last year, your girl is ready to give it another go this year!

I have a question about SOI's. If there were no specific requirements for the SOI aside from length, did/would you guys use single-spaced type? On all my SOI's I used 1.5 and in hindsight, if single-spacing or 1.15 spacing is okay, I sure wasted a lot of space that I could have used to make my SOI's much stronger!

Hello there :)

Your positive attitude really made me smile. It's great that you're ready to hit the ground running this year. 

To answer your question - where there weren't specific formatting/ length instructions, I did use single spacing. It does help with adding more info to your SOIs, I know how difficult it is sometimes to include all the things you'd like to talk about in there. Incidentally, my worst nightmare last year was a program that only allotted 500 words - I realize it's not too bad, but it was difficult to trim down everything and still have it make sense. 

That said, I would advise against adding too much detail on things they can get from other parts of your application, such as your CV. More words doesn't always equal a stronger SOI.

Best of luck!

2 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Hello there :)

Your positive attitude really made me smile. It's great that you're ready to hit the ground running this year. 

To answer your question - where there weren't specific formatting/ length instructions, I did use single spacing. It does help with adding more info to your SOIs, I know how difficult it is sometimes to include all the things you'd like to talk about in there. Incidentally, my worst nightmare last year was a program that only allotted 500 words - I realize it's not too bad, but it was difficult to trim down everything and still have it make sense. 

That said, I would advise against adding too much detail on things they can get from other parts of your application, such as your CV. More words doesn't always equal a stronger SOI.

Best of luck!

Thank you!<3 humour and looking on the bright side is how I cope with disappointment haha. And thank you, my SOI last year that allowed 3 pages was my strongest one and I got an interview from it, and it's because I had more freedom to to kind of "inject myself" into it with the way I phrased certain things, transitioned to other topics, etc. Not that I was making it really fluffy and unprofessional, but I just mean that it flowed a lot nicer and truly told the story of me, if that makes sense, as opposed to me just briefly stating things and providing shallow explanations/merely restating what's on my CV in a fancy way. Thanks so much for this! :)

On 8/13/2021 at 10:30 AM, Edge98 said:

Calgary is not requiring the GRE (forever). They listed this on their website as well :) Clinical Psychology - MSc - Thesis | Faculty of Graduate Studies | University of Calgary (ucalgary.ca)

Is there an official statement from them that they won't be requiring it forever? I just don't see it on the website other than them listing "none" on the test score portion of the requirements.

Anyone here applying to PhD programs and completing the doctoral SSHRC applications? For the doctoral SSHRC CCV in the "Work Experience" section it says, "The information entered in the Current Position section should not be repeated here. List a maximum of 15 other positions, academic and non-academic, you have held. Once the data are saved, the system will automatically sort the data in reverse chronological order, based on start year." My page only lets me fill in 6 boxes/positions and that's it. I see there's a "New Page" button in the top left, but that just clears my 6 entries. Any idea if this is an issue with the form or perhaps they meant 6 positions and not 15?

Hello everyone! This will be my first time applying for the clinical psychology program. I graduated in 2020 and have been trying to gain more experience over the past year to help with my application. 

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on being in more than one research lab. Currently, I am a volunteer in a research lab at a university and although it has been really great getting experience I find that my interests are not the same as the labs anymore. As a result, I will most likely be leaving the lab in December after I finish up some current projects. In the meantime, I wanted to look into other research opportunities but didn't know if it was taboo to do so while currently in a lab. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

6 hours ago, SailorCob said:

Hello everyone! This will be my first time applying for the clinical psychology program. I graduated in 2020 and have been trying to gain more experience over the past year to help with my application. 

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on being in more than one research lab. Currently, I am a volunteer in a research lab at a university and although it has been really great getting experience I find that my interests are not the same as the labs anymore. As a result, I will most likely be leaving the lab in December after I finish up some current projects. In the meantime, I wanted to look into other research opportunities but didn't know if it was taboo to do so while currently in a lab. Any advice is greatly appreciated! 

I’ll be starting in a clinical program this fall and I had volunteered + worked in 4 labs throughout my undergrad. This was most definitely an asset, firstly you get to show that you have experienced a number of areas of psychology if these labs were different areas. I was asked how I knew I wanted to specialize in neuropsych so early on and this was my answer. You also get to experience different supervision styles and different ways of labs being run and organized. So, I would highly suggest getting into a number of labs if possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

hi everybody! i'm hoping to apply again this cycle. im having a bit of a hard time finding people of interest at the schools i was hoping to apply to. any advice, both in canada and america? my research interests are child psych, interventions, trauma/ptsd and pediatric care (like hospital settings). let me know! any help would be really appreciated!

1 hour ago, prospectivegradstudent21 said:

hi everybody! i'm hoping to apply again this cycle. im having a bit of a hard time finding people of interest at the schools i was hoping to apply to. any advice, both in canada and america? my research interests are child psych, interventions, trauma/ptsd and pediatric care (like hospital settings). let me know! any help would be really appreciated!

Have you tried the reverse lit-search thing? As in, you find a recent article that covers one of the things that you are interested in, and then look at where the researchers are located - what country and university. If that doesn't work, you look into their reference section and see what other authors cover similar topics and do extensive work in the area. Of course, it would be great if you could have a more personal connection, but not necessarily - what I mean by personal is that one of your mentors/ professors recommends a certain other professor or program, or you met them during a conference and thought they were interesting, etc. Maybe others have tried it a different way.

Hello everyone! Both excited and dreading this application season. Second time around, I applied in 2020 and was rejected from all 3 schools, with only 1 interview. I plan to be more organized with my applications this time! I took a year off to work in clinical research which will hopefully strengthen my application. 

Good luck to everyone!!

On 8/24/2021 at 11:40 AM, SailorCob said:

I have a similar experience to the other person who responded to your question. In my undergrad I was a research assistant in 4 different labs simultaneously. I think it was a huge benefit for me, as I got experience in different areas of psychology and really learned how to work with different professors. Definitely not taboo to be looking into other opportunities, take any you can find!

Hi everyone!! :) 

I haven't been on here in a while lmao, hope y'all had a great summer!! I feel sad because I still haven't found potential supervisors to help back my applications- I hope it's not too late! I either don't get responses or they tell me they aren't taking new students. And as for the other profs, our research interests don't align sadly :( has anyone else had similar issues or is it only me lol 

❤️

On 9/4/2021 at 8:28 AM, PeanutButterBread said:

Hi everyone!! :) 

I haven't been on here in a while lmao, hope y'all had a great summer!! I feel sad because I still haven't found potential supervisors to help back my applications- I hope it's not too late! I either don't get responses or they tell me they aren't taking new students. And as for the other profs, our research interests don't align sadly :( has anyone else had similar issues or is it only me lol 

❤️

Incoming student here! I just wanted to throw in my two cents that the response (or lack of lol) to any initial contact emails you send is so dependent on the supervisor - the supervisor I'll be working with didn't respond when I sent an email of interest last fall and I think it's pretty common to not hear anything because they get so many emails. Obv much easier said than done, but don't let it discourage you so early on in the cycle!

4 hours ago, mphxpsych said:

Incoming student here! I just wanted to throw in my two cents that the response (or lack of lol) to any initial contact emails you send is so dependent on the supervisor - the supervisor I'll be working with didn't respond when I sent an email of interest last fall and I think it's pretty common to not hear anything because they get so many emails. Obv much easier said than done, but don't let it discourage you so early on in the cycle!

Hi thank you so much for this, it makes me feel a lot better! And yes it's so understandable, they probably have so many emails to shift through and a lack of time! I won't let it discourage me :) I will just keep sending emails (and follow up emails) and do the best I can! And congrats on your admission by the way, it is an amazing feat! ❤️

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to leave this here for you all. The link below is a poster for a Diversifying Psychology Recruitment Event on September 24 hosted by a Canadian University. This is a free virtual event for students from traditionally underrepresented groups (e.g., BIPoC) who are interested in graduate school in Psychology. There will be a keynote by Dr. J. Garrett-Walker  ("We Belong Here: Increasing BIPOC and Queer Representation in Psychology, Research, and Higher Education");  a presentation on tips for applying to graduate school; and opportunities for networking with current gradaute students. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdObhqTvbnYHzJq2ii0XCkXwtcEIGyWILx_8zqgnNyTZnC6Pw/viewform

2 hours ago, glo8377 said:

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to leave this here for you all. The link below is a poster for a Diversifying Psychology Recruitment Event on September 24 hosted by a Canadian University. This is a free virtual event for students from traditionally underrepresented groups (e.g., BIPoC) who are interested in graduate school in Psychology. There will be a keynote by Dr. J. Garrett-Walker  ("We Belong Here: Increasing BIPOC and Queer Representation in Psychology, Research, and Higher Education");  a presentation on tips for applying to graduate school; and opportunities for networking with current gradaute students. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdObhqTvbnYHzJq2ii0XCkXwtcEIGyWILx_8zqgnNyTZnC6Pw/viewform

Thanks so much for sending this! :)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Anyone know what the competition will be like compared to last year's? This thread is sorta dead compared to how last year's was at this time of year, so I'm wondering if that's at all a reflection... 

I feel like it would roughly be the same. After talking to a bunch of people, it seems like a lot of people are in the waiting game right now trying to wait from a response from professors if they would be accepting students or not. 

I know in my school, majority of the last year's honours cohort who've finished their honours degree delayed their graduation and will mostly be applying this year.

On 9/23/2021 at 6:52 AM, carlrogersfan98 said:

Anyone know what the competition will be like compared to last year's? This thread is sorta dead compared to how last year's was at this time of year, so I'm wondering if that's at all a reflection... 

Also curious how it will play out this year and if the surge from last year is a new precedent or a one off. 

hi friends!! i'm reapplying to clinical and applying to SACP programs this year, and I'm currently debating whether I should also apply to either counselling or social work programs as well - does anyone have any thoughts/experience regarding MSW vs. MACP? 

On 9/23/2021 at 8:52 AM, carlrogersfan98 said:

I was wondering the same! Hopefully it won't be too rough

On 8/17/2021 at 3:38 PM, psychowannabee said:

Is there an official statement from them that they won't be requiring it forever? I just don't see it on the website other than them listing "none" on the test score portion of the requirements.

826033684_ScreenShot2021-10-06at1_36_57AM.thumb.png.2f80691081f98d9118ebb917aeb03e36.png

Got a confirmation from the U of C Clinical program that they have applied for the permanent removal (pending approval) of the GRE from the application process.

Edited by psychowannabee

Hey guys, did the deadline for OGS for Fall 2022 programs pass already? I see the most recent deadlines published were in March 2021, but that's for the 2021-2022 OGS scholarships which I assume does not apply to us?

1 hour ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Hey guys, did the deadline for OGS for Fall 2022 programs pass already? I see the most recent deadlines published were in March 2021, but that's for the 2021-2022 OGS scholarships which I assume does not apply to us?

Hiii I think the deadline may depend on the university? I checked for Brock University for example and they say to get it in by Jan 15th, 2022, and for Laurier it says to get it in by Jan 31st, 2022!