2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

17 hours ago, pochita said:

Hi Everyone,
This is my second time applying this year. I got an interview at queens last year but I think I bombed the interview because one question threw me off guard. The supervisor asked what I wanted to do for my masters thesis. I have lots of research experience (worked for 3 profs as a research assistant, undergraduate supervisor, nserc ursa, honours thesis, research ambassador) but I've always been the style where I get to know the lab first and then come up with a project. So I had no idea that question was coming so early, specially just for the first round quick 30 minute interview. Does anyone have experience with this? How much detail are we supposed to provide? I didn't apply for u of calgary this year cause I was taken aback that they added a research proposal to the application process when i'm suggesting around 3 profs to work with but none of them are willing to chat much before so I only have a loose idea of the next projects they want to do in their lab. I have an interview with UBC coming up this week so any advice is very welcomed. Thank you!

The fact that you are getting interviews means you are definitely doing something right :)

Calgary has had the proposal for the application process for quite some time. The thing is, most research heavy programs would like you to be able to formulate proposals and bring some ideas and I think you also need a proposed research project to apply for funding. It doesn't mean you're only limited to that topic/methodology for your entire grad school, but I think most POIs do expect some initiative here. Maybe as a RA it's not as expected, but you still need to have some more specific ideas of what you'd like to study and how you'd (ideally) go about it. Most POIs that I've talked to want someone who can come up with their own original topics, even if they are still connected to the bigger work done in the lab. And it also shows your compatibility to what they want, or helps them see how you could take the lab work in a different direction and thus how you'd bring a lot of value that way. 

Also, if it's not too much trouble, would you be willing to share the UBC POI initials? Maybe by personal message if you don't want it public? Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, okayidk said:

Hi! I'm trying to submit my supplementary information form through York's portal, but every time I try accessing it I get an error message ? Is anyone else having the same issue? I was able to access it earlier but just went back to submit and it's not working

Hey! Have you sorted this out now? I read on another page how a program that listed December 10 as their deadline actually was referring to December 9 at 11:59 pm, so when the person tried to submit documents shortly after midnight, it wasn't working. If you're still having issues, I'd suggest reaching out to York's administrators directly to clarify the issue just in case their December 15 deadline actually meant Dec 14 @ 11.59 pm 

On 12/14/2021 at 8:50 PM, pochita said:

Hi Everyone,
This is my second time applying this year. I got an interview at queens last year but I think I bombed the interview because one question threw me off guard. The supervisor asked what I wanted to do for my masters thesis. I have lots of research experience (worked for 3 profs as a research assistant, undergraduate supervisor, nserc ursa, honours thesis, research ambassador) but I've always been the style where I get to know the lab first and then come up with a project. So I had no idea that question was coming so early, specially just for the first round quick 30 minute interview. Does anyone have experience with this? How much detail are we supposed to provide? I didn't apply for u of calgary this year cause I was taken aback that they added a research proposal to the application process when i'm suggesting around 3 profs to work with but none of them are willing to chat much before so I only have a loose idea of the next projects they want to do in their lab. I have an interview with UBC coming up this week so any advice is very welcomed. Thank you!

Current student here- this question is common but imo it’s more about how well you can think through the components of a project (i.e. what could be feasible, what population would you sample from (and why), does your question show that you understand the area of research, etc.).. I was asked this question and it turned into more of a convo to learn about the lab/current projects. It’s a hard question but useful for you too it’s also important for you as an applicant to make sure they have space for your interests! 

Feel free to msg if you have more questions about this (or anything else) :) 

On 12/17/2021 at 2:28 AM, prospectivegradstudent21 said:

hi! did anybody apply to U of T/OISE programs and get an email about activitating a JOINid account? im just a bit confused on what my student number is because in the email it says not to use your application number? thanks!

I did get that email and then a few hours later I got an email with my student number :)

14 hours ago, crazyforclinical said:

Does anyone have an idea of when we will hear back from Dalhousie (or have people already)? I figured with their early due date we would hear back sooner especially with how quickly they did their interviews last year.

Dalhousie already had some interviews. There is a rumor that they have a waitlist of some sort, but it's not clear whether that's for interviews and/or offers. It seems we might hear more news at the beginning of January after the holidays.

On that note, any news about SFU? They also had a really early deadline.

1 hour ago, SoundofSilence said:

Dalhousie already had some interviews. There is a rumor that they have a waitlist of some sort, but it's not clear whether that's for interviews and/or offers. It seems we might hear more news at the beginning of January after the holidays.

On that note, any news about SFU? They also had a really early deadline.

I havent heard from SFU yet... really hoping they havent sent interviews out yet.

34 minutes ago, siriuslypadfoot said:

Is anyone else applying to Ottawa and not able to upload their documents? Every time I try to go to uoDoc, it tells me I'm not able to access uoCampus from off campus. 

I submitted my documents a few weeks ago and while it was difficult to locate where to upload them, the upload went just fine. Have you tried using a different browser or the Incognito/Private mode of your browser? My school also uses a microsoft account and the Ottawa one sometimes got mixed up. A private window should clear some of the cache/ cookies and avoid that. 

If it still doesn't work for you maybe consider reaching out to their IT support. 

5 hours ago, lemonsqueezy said:

I was wondering if anyone could help me understand what the purpose of an informal interview is, how I can prepare for it, etc. If I'm lackluster in the informal interview, do I not get the invite to the formal interview?

I had one for a counselling psychology program back in October. The professor met with a select number of students who sent her inquiry emails, as the program itself does not host formal interviews. 

It felt way more relaxed compared to a formal interview. She was my professor a couple of years ago, so that helped some of the anxiety as we were familiar with each other, and the first bit was kinda just "catching up" between us. Then she asked me about why I am interested in psychology, why I want to do my thesis with her specifically, and asked me to explain the rationale for the specific idea I proposed in my email to her and why it's theoretically pertinent to her research. She then asked me about my career aspirations and gave me some application tips. In turn, I asked her questions about what supervision with her is like, what her expectations are in terms of pubs/presentations and funding, and how involved she is with her students' theses.

2 hours ago, Rachel kelly said:

Hey everyone! 

Does anyone know when we should be hearing back from schools with regards to decisions/interviews? 

this is my first time applying and I was just unaware of the timeline! 

happy holidays!

This is also my first time applying, so anyone who knows more, please add to this! But I want to start of by saying it's normal if you haven't heard from any schools yet. Most interview invites go out in January and February. Every school has a different timeline. And on top of that, profs at one school may all reach out to students at different times for initial/informal interviews, especially because it's the holidays. Rough estimates of formal interview days are listed by some schools. For example, Western's website says "Applicants who are short-listed for 2022 admission will be invited to an Interview Day. Email notifications to short-listed applicants will be sent in mid-January."

On 12/30/2021 at 1:06 PM, Rachel kelly said:

Hey everyone! 

Does anyone know when we should be hearing back from schools with regards to decisions/interviews? 

this is my first time applying and I was just unaware of the timeline! 

happy holidays!

Last year it was around the end of January that interview invites, or emails for less formal interviews from the PIs went out, and acceptances began early February but also went on until March. It is a tense time of waiting, good luck to everyone! 

Hi all! Does anyone know generally when you're expected to be in the city/University when you start your program? I'm assuming courses start first week of September kind of thing, but would there be orientation (with the university or program) or lab responsibilities/settling in with your supervisor etc that would be expected in August? 

I haven't been accepted/interviewed yet, this is all hypothetical for now. I'm just trying to give my availability for a family event that's happening in August where my mom lives, but I'm currently living far away, and all of the universities I applied to are also in a different place - so between the family event, and potentially moving and starting a program I'm nervous about everything conflicting, and I don't want to take too much time/money flying back and forth unnecessarily. 

2 hours ago, emsmith said:

Hi all! Does anyone know generally when you're expected to be in the city/University when you start your program? I'm assuming courses start first week of September kind of thing, but would there be orientation (with the university or program) or lab responsibilities/settling in with your supervisor etc that would be expected in August? 

I haven't been accepted/interviewed yet, this is all hypothetical for now. I'm just trying to give my availability for a family event that's happening in August where my mom lives, but I'm currently living far away, and all of the universities I applied to are also in a different place - so between the family event, and potentially moving and starting a program I'm nervous about everything conflicting, and I don't want to take too much time/money flying back and forth unnecessarily. 

Hey! You could probably check the "Current Student" pages of the program websites as they'll typically post timetables for the current school year (which will give you a sense of what next year would be like). Many programs also have a program calendar/handbook, which also gives information about start dates or any orientation/expectations required of you prior to September

4 hours ago, emsmith said:

I'm in a program currently, our orientation to the university was for all graduate students in june virtually - then the program specific orientation was the week before classes started. A lot of students arrived within only a couple of days of the classes starting and missed the orientation too - I think there is no expectation to be there until your program officially starts - but also maybe plan for some time to move and adjust to your new living environment before classes are thrown at you. 

Hi everyone, have any international students (non- canadian and non-american) applied for this year's clinical psychology cycle? This is my first time, and I assuming it's a lot harder for us to get even an interview because of logistical issues like funding. Has anyone gotten any informal interview of any sorts?

46 minutes ago, alinpsych said:

Hi everyone, have any international students (non- canadian and non-american) applied for this year's clinical psychology cycle? This is my first time, and I assuming it's a lot harder for us to get even an interview because of logistical issues like funding. Has anyone gotten any informal interview of any sorts?

Hi there!

Quite a few international (non-US) students apply each year and you are right, it does make things difficult when it comes to funding and admissions. As long as you have a good application and relevant experience, it is still possible to get interviews. The process is very competitive for everyone, as you well know. I'm an international student, this is my third time applying and I received an interview this year and several during the previous application cycle. I received none my first time. As a quick note - there are programs where the tuition for international and Canadian PhD students is almost the same with the exception of some fees, so those programs are more able to fund internationals. Increasing the number of (well-matched) programs you apply to might also help. To how many programs did you apply?