2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

On 1/5/2022 at 11:03 AM, emsmith said:

Good luck to everyone who is getting interviews!

Does anyone have any good interview prep/resources they would be willing to share? There's a lot online for general PhD programs, but not a lot for clinical psych. 

No results posted yet for any of the programs I applied to but the nerves are getting high ? trying not to freak out thinking 'are people getting interviews for these programs but nobody is posting about it?' I know it's still early but it's so easy to obsess over it.

Just want to let you know that there's a discord server with resources for clinical and counseling psychology PhD applicants! It's meant to be a space where applicants can access resources, seek advice, and commune with others navigating the same process. There's also a Canada-specific channel! Here's the invite link, if anyone is interested in joining: https://discord.gg/wEcFTwxzNy

20 minutes ago, abecedarian said:

Just want to let you know that there's a discord server with resources for clinical and counseling psychology PhD applicants! It's meant to be a space where applicants can access resources, seek advice, and commune with others navigating the same process. There's also a Canada-specific channel! Here's the invite link, if anyone is interested in joining: https://discord.gg/wEcFTwxzNy

Awesome, thank you! Just joined :)

On 1/7/2022 at 10:59 AM, carlrogersfan98 said:

I have not heard anything yet. I applied to the CCP program. Do you know when they normally start sending interview invites?

Me neither so I’m not sure.  Perhaps someone who interviewed last year or before knows?

22 minutes ago, clinclin said:

Me neither so I’m not sure.  Perhaps someone who interviewed last year or before knows?

I believe people started hearing back late January/early February for interviews. Despite an early application deadline, they were one of the later programs to reach out 

14 hours ago, Jenny13 said:

Has anyone heard from Calgary, Western, or Waterloo? Thanks in advance :) 

I applied to Waterloo Clinical and Calgary Counselling and haven't heard from either place yet, nor have I heard of anyone else who's heard back. Waterloo sent out their interview invites before Christmas last year, but I'm like 98% sure they haven't sent them out yet this year.

Also, I'm seeing lots of folks who have gotten interviews for York's Clinical Developmental stream (congratulations!), but I'm wondering if anyone has heard yet about York's General Clinical stream yet?

14 minutes ago, Zmxnsj said:

I applied to Waterloo Clinical and Calgary Counselling and haven't heard from either place yet, nor have I heard of anyone else who's heard back. Waterloo sent out their interview invites before Christmas last year, but I'm like 98% sure they haven't sent them out yet this year.

Also, I'm seeing lots of folks who have gotten interviews for York's Clinical Developmental stream (congratulations!), but I'm wondering if anyone has heard yet about York's General Clinical stream yet?

Haven't heard from Waterloo nor York's Clinical program. One of the POIs I emailed (at York) prior to applying mentioned interview invites usually get sent out "late January". 

Edited by space-psych

1 hour ago, Nazb said:

Hi folks, 

It's my first time here. If I'm honest, it's brutal to see others have received interviews (congratulations), but I haven't heard anything back. Trying to stay positive. 

I promise you're not alone and it's ok! So many schools haven't sent anything out yet, some won't until Feb even. Try to take your mind off it by keeping busy and taking care of yourself!

1 hour ago, Nazb said:

Hi folks,

It's my first time here. If I'm honest, it's brutal to see others have received interviews (congratulations), but I haven't heard anything back. Trying to stay positive.

Please stay optimistic! We are still very early in the game. A lot of these interview invites are also initial (informal) interviews with the POIs. Many profs apparently choose not to do an initial interview at all and most schools' clinical department are just starting to convene regarding formal interview invites. I definitely agree with @psychologyenjoyer, take some time away from this and take care of yourself. We're all on the same journey, feel free to reach out if you want someone to talk to. 

School: Western (Clinical Psychology Program) 

Date of invite: January 10

Date of interview: January 13 (POI: GR)

This is a preliminary phone call interview. He said the interview day is February 11th, if I get invited to attend - it's still SUPER early so I suspect if you applied, you will be contacted on a rolling basis until mid-February. 

This is my 3rd year applying so I know how awful the waiting process is - hang in there. I hope everyone can find some time to step away from you email and gradcafe to look after themselves. 

Edited by Terelia

Hey guys, does anyone know if Queen's has a formal departmental interview, or is all interviewing done by the POI's? Trying to figure out if my interview is "THE" interview or a prelim - it is with my POI and she said I should expect to meet for an hour.

5 minutes ago, carlrogersfan98 said:

Hey guys, does anyone know if Queen's has a formal departmental interview, or is all interviewing done by the POI's? Trying to figure out if my interview is "THE" interview or a prelim - it is with my POI and she said I should expect to meet for an hour.

not sure if things have changed this year, but in past years queen's typically has a departmental interview day held in mid-to-late feb. :) 

School: Simon Fraser University

Date of invite: Jan 10 

Date of interview: Prior to Feb 1st

Virtual open house: Jan 27

School: UTSC

Date of invite: Jan 6/Jan 7 

Date of (informal) interview: Jan 7/Jan 10

These were both informal interviews with two cosupervisors I had put down.

School: McMaster

Date of invite: Dec 23

Date of (informal) interview: Jan 6

Another informal interview.

Just as a note: this is my third year applying and I have never had any interviews prior to this, so I am feeling quite relieved after so much rejection. I am happy to be at this point in the process, at least, and am crossing my fingers that I can make it further. I genuinely wish everyone the best of luck - please try to stay focused, positive, and forward-thinking. It's so easy to feel dejected and doubtful of your own abilities throughout this process. 

On 1/7/2022 at 3:21 PM, rainydaychai said:

I am a current clinical graduate student at SFU and believe the interview invites will be going out very soon! I am interviewing applicants and have received word that they have finalized the list and have assigned graduate student interviewers. 

If anyone is applying for SFU this application cycle and has questions about the program (particularly the forensic track), feel free to shoot me a DM!

Hello! Unfortunately it says you cannot receive messages, but I would love to chat with you as I am applying for the forensic track specifically. Thank you :)

12 hours ago, babooshka said:

Hello! Unfortunately it says you cannot receive messages, but I would love to chat with you as I am applying for the forensic track specifically. Thank you

Me too @rainydaychai! Thank you so much :) 

NVM I see you can receive messages now!! 

Edited by plsletmeinthankyou

So here it goes...

School: Dalhousie University

TypeClinical Psychology PhD

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Acceptance

Type of Notification: Official Email

Date Notified: 1/11/22

Gaaaaah... it's only been a decade of work to get here (no, I'm not kidding) and I was starting to feel really old. 

After receiving the email I was half numb and half freaking out and kept asking everyone if it's normal. It doesn't really feel real yet and I'm still in anxious/panicky mode somewhat. However, I do plan on taking the weekend off and just unwind. Get in touch if you're considering Dal or just have questions, I'm around.

7 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

So here it goes...

Gaaaaah... it's only been a decade of work to get here (no, I'm not kidding) and I was starting to feel really old. 

After receiving the email I was half numb and half freaking out and kept asking everyone if it's normal. It doesn't really feel real yet and I'm still in anxious/panicky mode somewhat. However, I do plan on taking the weekend off and just unwind. Get in touch if you're considering Dal or just have questions, I'm around.

OMG!! congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, SoundofSilence said:

So here it goes...

omg huge congrats!!!!! would you mind dm'ing me your PI's initials?

Does this week seem fairly quiet to other people or is this to be expected? I was expecting to hear of more invites during this second week of January but it's been quiet on here and the discord page. Tough seeing American schools have so many invites being sent while we wait for our POIs to dust off the application pile... lol

And congrats @SoundofSilence!! Envious of your ability to relax now and it's only January ?!

3 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Does this week seem fairly quiet to other people or is this to be expected? I was expecting to hear of more invites during this second week of January but it's been quiet on here and the discord page. Tough seeing American schools have so many invites being sent while we wait for our POIs to dust off the application pile... lol

And congrats @SoundofSilence!! Envious of your ability to relax now and it's only January ?!

Yes!! the waiting is so tough