2022-2023 Clinical Psychology Applications - Canada

50 minutes ago, psyc2122 said:

I emailed them about this and they said there's nowhere to upload your CV because it's not part of the application package! 

Oh my... but why? I mean I do detail some things in the personal statement, but that is not exactly something to take the place of the CV as well. How are you approaching this issue?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how long it took them to receive the link to WebAdvisor after submitting their application to the University of Guelph? I just submitted mine today and I'm a little worried that I won't get the link before the deadline... :( 

5 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

Oh my... but why? I mean I do detail some things in the personal statement, but that is not exactly something to take the place of the CV as well. How are you approaching this issue?

They didn't provide a reason, unfortunately. I thought about adding it to the end of my personal statement (in the same PDF) but I worry it would just look bad to not follow instructions. If anyone has any suggestions about this I'd love to hear them!

Edited by psyc2122

Just now, psyc2122 said:

They didn't provide a reason, unfortunately. I thought about adding it to the end of my personal statement (in the same PDF) but I worry it would just look bad to not follow instructions. If anyone has any suggestions about this I'd love to hear them!

hey that's not a half bad idea. 

I've honestly had it with this application season. It's my third time and it's the worst yet.

Between programs switching deadlines to early November when they were usually in December (I'm looking at you SFU) and all the crappy online portals that drive me mad, I'm at my wits' end. I've done Ottawa's application once before and I still had trouble this time around locating the damn place to upload the documents. Not to mention that some programs are ok with your standard stuff (as in regular CV and 2 page statement), but some are just crazy with their own formatting for CVs and asking for 500 words for a statement. And now McMaster with this crappy "no CV" thing. Where am I supposed to put my research experience, publications and posters? How about my awards? I can barely cram them in the tiny character-limited small boxes in some places but they don't even have that on their application. Gaaah

Sorry about the rant, I think the pandemic is getting to me. And it's also difficult to see the point of all this effort after so much time and money spent. So many demands placed on the applicants and most times we barely get even an acknowledgment. Something's got to give and I think this process needs a serious overhaul.

57 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

hey that's not a half bad idea. 

I've honestly had it with this application season. It's my third time and it's the worst yet.

Between programs switching deadlines to early November when they were usually in December (I'm looking at you SFU) and all the crappy online portals that drive me mad, I'm at my wits' end. I've done Ottawa's application once before and I still had trouble this time around locating the damn place to upload the documents. Not to mention that some programs are ok with your standard stuff (as in regular CV and 2 page statement), but some are just crazy with their own formatting for CVs and asking for 500 words for a statement. And now McMaster with this crappy "no CV" thing. Where am I supposed to put my research experience, publications and posters? How about my awards? I can barely cram them in the tiny character-limited small boxes in some places but they don't even have that on their application. Gaaah

Sorry about the rant, I think the pandemic is getting to me. And it's also difficult to see the point of all this effort after so much time and money spent. So many demands placed on the applicants and most times we barely get even an acknowledgment. Something's got to give and I think this process needs a serious overhaul.

Don't apologize for the rant, I think we can all relate to this! It really does seem like the requirements get more and more difficult to follow each year – we really need some kind of centralized portal with common requirements (for references' sake, too!). I'm trying to remember that when the requirements seem ridiculous and like they won't represent my experience at all (500 word statement, weird CV format, no CV, etc.), everyone else is probably feeling the same way too. Seems super obvious, but often when I'm stressing over these applications, I realize its because I'm treating them as though my 500 words have to compete with everyone else's full CV and 3-page statement, which is obviously not the case. Hang in there, just a week-ish left of this!

1 minute ago, psyc2122 said:

Don't apologize for the rant, I think we can all relate to this! It really does seem like the requirements get more and more difficult to follow each year – we really need some kind of centralized portal with common requirements (for references' sake, too!). I'm trying to remember that when the requirements seem ridiculous and like they won't represent my experience at all (500 word statement, weird CV format, no CV, etc.), everyone else is probably feeling the same way too. Seems super obvious, but often when I'm stressing over these applications, I realize its because I'm treating them as though my 500 words have to compete with everyone else's full CV and 3-page statement, which is obviously not the case. Hang in there, just a week-ish left of this!

Thanks, I appreciate it! 

I mean I know we are all in the same boat here, it's just that I feel some applications don't really represent all my hard work. And I'm sure it's probably the same for everyone. Having a standardized process would make things so much easier for all people involved. I'm really looking forward to having this be done. I hope everyone is staying warm and sane! We're almost there, at least with this part :)

To underscore (again) how bad this process is, I just got a quick email from one of my recommendation writers and they were pretty upset about how terrible some of the online portals were. They were so upset about the UNB process, that they were like "remind me to never submit a reference here again". ?

I'm giving it a last try - any other McMaster fellow applicants - what did you do about the "no CV" thing? Did you just bulk up your personal statement or you're just submitting your regular one and hoping for the best? I also welcome any advice from people who are not applying there, all perspectives are welcome! :) 

It's my last application that I need to submit and I just need it to be done already. 

7 hours ago, SoundofSilence said:

To underscore (again) how bad this process is, I just got a quick email from one of my recommendation writers and they were pretty upset about how terrible some of the online portals were. They were so upset about the UNB process, that they were like "remind me to never submit a reference here again". ?

I'm giving it a last try - any other McMaster fellow applicants - what did you do about the "no CV" thing? Did you just bulk up your personal statement or you're just submitting your regular one and hoping for the best? I also welcome any advice from people who are not applying there, all perspectives are welcome! :) 

It's my last application that I need to submit and I just need it to be done already. 

For the no CV thing, personally what I would do is create a website with my CV. I'd then direct the reader to the website via my statement/letter of intent. If the school is interested in accepting you, I suspect they might look at your web CV.

Hi everyone! This may be a silly question but could someone let me know what should be going in the "Faculty" line in the CGS-M portal within the Identification section? I.e., it shows:

Organization:

Faculty:

Department/Division:

I'm just not sure if Faculty is meant to be Faculty of the Department, i.e. Faculty of Social Sciences. Or if they want me to list the names of actual faculty members? Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

14 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Hi everyone! This may be a silly question but could someone let me know what should be going in the "Faculty" line in the CGS-M portal within the Identification section? I.e., it shows:

Organization:

Faculty:

Department/Division:

I'm just not sure if Faculty is meant to be Faculty of the Department, i.e. Faculty of Social Sciences. Or if they want me to list the names of actual faculty members? Any insight would be greatly appreciated :)

I assumed the faculty of the department, I don't think they care who your supervisor is because the awards are independent from the admissions process... If I'm wrong then I've definitely submitted it wrong two years in a row ??

20 hours ago, VanessaB said:

For the no CV thing, personally what I would do is create a website with my CV. I'd then direct the reader to the website via my statement/letter of intent. If the school is interested in accepting you, I suspect they might look at your web CV.

This is a really great suggestion, thank you so much for sharing! Do you have any platforms you would recommend for a web CV?

2 hours ago, emsmith said:

This is a really great suggestion, thank you so much for sharing! Do you have any platforms you would recommend for a web CV?

Do you have a Google account? You could use Google sites. It would be quite easy to set up. I'm sure any free website builder will do though.

17 hours ago, T.O.hopeful said:

Organization:

Faculty:

Department/Division:

I'm pretty sure faculty refers to the broader area your program is situated (e.g., Faculty of Social Sciences). It doesn't refer to your supervisor. I won CGS-M (2021-2022) and at least that's what I did (e.g., I put Faculty of Education for my particular program).

Edited by VanessaB

20 hours ago, emsmith said:

I assumed the faculty of the department, I don't think they care who your supervisor is because the awards are independent from the admissions process... If I'm wrong then I've definitely submitted it wrong two years in a row ??

16 hours ago, VanessaB said:

I'm pretty sure faculty refers to the broader area your program is situated (e.g., Faculty of Social Sciences). It doesn't refer to your supervisor. I won CGS-M (2021-2022) and at least that's what I did (e.g., I put Faculty of Education for my particular program).

Thank you both!! I figured it was Faculty of the Department but started to overthink things ?

Hi all, I just submitted my CCV for CGS-M and I got this message in red text saying that "To participate to the Researchers Directories, you must meet the following criteria", then a list of things to include. Has anyone else gotten then message?

Does anyone know if I have to be on this research directory for schools to access my CGS-M application?

Thank you!

Hi everyone! For anyone applying to York's Clinical Developmental program - the deadline to upload documents (cv/soi/supplementary form) is Dec. 15th, right? I've been operating under the assumption that the deadline for documents was Dec. 1, but just saw on the "How to Apply" page that Dec. 1 is just the deadline to create an application/pay the fee and Dec. 15th is the deadline to submit documents (https://psychology.gradstudies.yorku.ca/prospective-students/apply/). I was wondering if anyone can confirm? Sorry, I just remember going through the website pretty extensively last month and don't remember seeing this info anywhere (so I'm kind of paranoid). It would be nice to spend another day on my app, so if anyone can confirm I'd appreciate it!

Edited by okayidk

49 minutes ago, okayidk said:

Hi everyone! For anyone applying to York's Clinical Developmental program - the deadline to upload documents (cv/soi/supplementary form) is Dec. 15th, right? I've been operating under the assumption that the deadline for documents was Dec. 1, but just saw on the "How to Apply" page that Dec. 1 is just the deadline to create an application/pay the fee and Dec. 15th is the deadline to submit documents (https://psychology.gradstudies.yorku.ca/prospective-students/apply/). I was wondering if anyone can confirm? Sorry, I just remember going through the website pretty extensively last month and don't remember seeing this info anywhere (so I'm kind of paranoid). It would be nice to spend another day on my app, so if anyone can confirm I'd appreciate it!

I applied to York last year and am applying again this year. I looked earlier this month and saw December 1st too and then noticed this change last week. You can always contact the admissions department and verify but I do plan to submit my supplementary documents by the 15th and not 1st.

In the past the deadline has always been December 15th. I think the fact that you need to submit the payment/create an application through their application portal was confusing for people in the past (ie. they would submit the initial application not realizing they wouldn't get access to the documents portal for several days resulting in late applications). I think this change is their way of clarifying this distinction (although changing the wording partway through November still makes things confusing lol). 

If you haven't paid the fee yet, I would definitely do that right now because it takes a few days to receive confirmation and access to the portal to actually upload your documents (similar to many other Ontario schools). 

On 11/27/2021 at 1:59 PM, psychacademicdreamer said:

Hi all, I just submitted my CCV for CGS-M and I got this message in red text saying that "To participate to the Researchers Directories, you must meet the following criteria", then a list of things to include. Has anyone else gotten then message?

Does anyone know if I have to be on this research directory for schools to access my CGS-M application?

Thank you!

Mine did this too, then still gave me a confirmation code. I went to upload it and got an error saying to reupload it. I didn't change anything but reuploaded it and all the red text went away. not sure why. 

Hello guys! I'm a final-year public health student at Ryerson University.

I would like to invite international students in Canada to complete a 10-minute online study survey. The study concerns the mental health impacts of COVID-19 on international post-secondary students in Canada. It is looking for 200 participants. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Survey: https://forms.gle/6fxzXhT2Ak3Q8PG88 

Website: https://www.covid-19researchprojectatryersonu.com/ 

19 hours ago, AspiringClinPsych said:

Hey guys!! For anyone applying to UGuelph CCAP, do you need to do anything once you're done uploading all of your documents into WebAdvisor? There's no official 'submit' button so I just wanna double check lol :) 

No, there's nothing else you have to do! As long as everything has the status changed to "received" that's everything you have to do.