MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 4/14/2022 at 8:25 PM, T.O.hopeful said:

Hey there! First, until you hear from Laurier, you still have a chance to be accepted, so fingers crossed you hear some good news! 

I've heard that volunteering for a crisis center/line, like Kid's Help Phone, is really good experience on someone's CV if interested in counselling. You could also take a look at some community outreach jobs as the experience required is sometimes a bit flexible and you could structure your cv in a way to make it work. 

In terms of schools/programs, if you're able to relocate then i would definitely suggest applying to more MSW programs next year. I know UofT and Laurier are fairly popular programs, so it may be harder harder get into. Also, have you looked at the fast track BSW degrees? I know Lakehead has a program and likely there are other schools that have it. It's shorter than a 4-year BSW and is for people with a bachelors already. The good thing with those programs is not only would you likely get social work practical experience for your CV but you could also apply to advanced standing MSW programs after, and not the 2 year MSWs.

Thank you so much! I will definitely be looking into all of those options, I'm thinking there are so many varying routes to take so I will have to decide on one lol

On 4/14/2022 at 10:04 PM, MSW2022UofT said:

Hey so it was my first time applying to UofT. I did my undergrad in psychology had about 3 years of paid (intake work, peersupport)/volunteer(crisis responding) work in the field. 

I decided on a whim to apply to Humber in the event that I didn't get into UofT. Really didn't feel I could do much with a BA in Psychology. I am currently finishing up the Mental Health and Addictions postgraduate program there. It is 1 year with a summer placement and is specifically for people with a undergraduate degree. I am not sure if it helped boost my application for UofT but I think it helped to add more stuff to my resume. From what I have heard having a resume with lots of experience, strong personal statement and good references is what admissions really looks at. You can do the SSW course and potentially get direct entry into second year depending on your degree. For me I did not want to go back to college for too long and so a 1 year program made sense for me. You also mentioned your research methods mark was below the cut off. They definitely look at that and your stats or research method has to be a mid B or higher. I retook my research methods course in my final year to make sure I met that B requirement.

Finally, I agree finding a job in the field is hard. If you have a few hours to spare each week you can do crisis responding at home with Kids Help Phone or in person at a Distress Line. It is heavy work but prepared me a lot for work in the field. I am not sure if I answered everything but let me know if you have any other questions and I will do my best!

Thanks for sharing! When you say get direct entry into second year, what program do you mean for that? My degree isn't in Psychology or social work so idk if that's a factor. I'm interested in the 1 year program too because of the less time and money involved. I heard you can do a post-degree BSW too but a bachelor's would have higher requirements and I'm wondering if it would be as practical, skills-wise for gaining work opportunities potentially after too, as a diploma would be. 

Yeah sounds like I might have to retake that research course especially if it's for the UofT program since they factor that in a lot. I saw that the KHP text line doesn't do references, did the crisis line help you get a better reference?

10 hours ago, lotus11 said:

Thanks for sharing! When you say get direct entry into second year, what program do you mean for that? My degree isn't in Psychology or social work so idk if that's a factor. I'm interested in the 1 year program too because of the less time and money involved. I heard you can do a post-degree BSW too but a bachelor's would have higher requirements and I'm wondering if it would be as practical, skills-wise for gaining work opportunities potentially after too, as a diploma would be. 

Yeah sounds like I might have to retake that research course especially if it's for the UofT program since they factor that in a lot. I saw that the KHP text line doesn't do references, did the crisis line help you get a better reference?

For the SSW program they may give you direct entry into second year if you hold a undergrad degree in a related field. This may or may not be an option for you depending on your degree. I agree the post grad bsw is alot more work and time commitment. It was my absolute last option if nothing else panned out. I am happy I did not have to end up doing another undergraduate program. 

I was not able to get any references from kids help phone or distress centres. It was just great experience to put on my resume. I was able to use two professors and one employment reference for my application. 

Sorry for the off topic but has anyone applied to the BSW post grad program at York University for this fall? I have been waiting to hear back from them and not to mention the admission team was not being able to provide any answer like when they usually start sending out the decisions. I only applied to Uoft MSW for 2 years and got waitlisted. So, waiting for the decision from York totally got me! :(

On 4/14/2022 at 1:19 PM, lotus11 said:

I applied to the UofT 2 Year Non-BSW program and Laurier's program. Found out recently that I did not get accepted into the UofT program; I am still waiting to hear back from Laurier but in realizing all this competitiveness and how people have so many more relevant volunteer/work experiences than I do, the chances are seeming increasingly slim of me getting into that one either. 

It was a kind of a leap of faith that I took in applying, as I decided I want to go into counselling/therapy and after researching the MSW and Counselling Psychology, the MSW seemed like the best bet with more opportunities and best overall fit for my interest of study. I have been working for a few years now since finishing undergrad in not a very relevant field/job but there were still some transferrable human service/customer service related skills there. My past volunteer experiences are social services related but not super directly correlated with the line of work I am trying to get into, so I anticipate myself having to strengthen my application with more volunteer work and related work experience/skills before feeling more confident to re-apply. Also, the required research methods course I feel lowers my chances too as my highest mark was a couple minus signs below that recommended grade mark - so it is advised that I re-take that course before I even consider re-applying? 

At this point, I'm not feeling very confident about my application/experiences/references to re-apply next round. I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what my options are. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as my attempt to apply this round was trying to get to the next place, but currently I am caught between the desire to get to that final destination and the feeling of being burnt out (from my horrible work-life-relationships-self care balance these last few years that I am still trying to recover my own mental and physical health from). 

I'm hoping someone here may be able to provide some advice to me. I was reflecting on this and I realized it is a bit ironic that I am being driven to go into a helping profession right now when it's clear to me that I myself, am not totally in a well-balanced state of being mental/emotional/physical health-wise. I feel so exhausted that when I think about everything I have to do next, it feels overwhelming and I'm not sure I can do it. For example, re-taking a university course and volunteering in a related mental health position on top of working when I still have my own stuff to manage feels like a lot. I'm currently unemployed and looking for full-time work, and I am wanting to move out to live on my own soon, so there is also that. I'm also feeling anxiety and pressure over that the full-time job I am looking for right now should be perfectly related to social work/counselling in some way so that it can help me for the next time I apply.

Does anyone know what kind of positions and organizations might be helpful for strengthening my application next time around? Or would it not really matter if I am going to say, volunteer for a crisis line anyway? Given some of the posts I've read here, it almost feels like I should be volunteering for at least 1-2 years to get the minimum competitive amount of hours required. I saw someone mentioning that they had gotten a Social Service Worker diploma before they re-applied, so I was thinking that could be an option for me too, if I try to apply for that instead and gain some field-placement experience, some outside volunteer experience as well and then re-apply . But I'm not sure if re-applying right after a diploma without the relevant work experience will be useful.

Has anyone re-appliers here gone through a similar situation in their process/journey? Would it be my best bet to just take it slow and accumulate the experiences first needed? Not sure if anyone can relate to this and if it's a sign I am not yet ready for grad school, but given that my work-life balance still needs work I was very nervous about the idea of going back to school since undergrad itself took a toll on my physical and mental health. As someone with a personal connection to mental health, I'm wondering if me still being in a thick of my own healing journey right now is also a bad idea for me to totally devote myself to chasing this career where it requires a certain level of presence, capacity and competence to help others. 

I'm sorry to hear about UT and I totally relate to that long wait for Laurier! I think it's great that you know you want to go down the social work path instead of counselling psychology. If you don't get into an MSW this term, I think it's worthwhile taking time for self-care, tending to some moving parts of your life (you mentioned looking for a job), and gaining some more relevant experience in social services. The extra work/volunteer experience is invaluable, not just for your applications, but to help you determine what population you want to work with, what your strengths are, and what you skills you need to develop. Volunteering for crisis lines is great experience (I learned so much when I did this), and there are a lot of jobs in social services that involves supporting vulnerable populations (e.g. shelters, elder care, immigrant services, addictions, youth centres etc.) where you can gain a lot of insight. I agree with others who suggest a post-degree BSW. I know someone who got into Laurier after doing a SSW diploma after their BA.

The last thing you want to happen is to figure out you're too burnt out do social work while you're on your practicum. Taking time for self-care is huge b/c you'll encounter a lot of clients who are deeply struggling with their mental health and you want to be ready for that. There's never a perfect time to start school but I think you articulated it very well already, that you're in the thick of your own healing journey and you wonder what your capacity would be at this time to help others. 

I'll just share from personal experience that I'm glad I put off doing my Masters for several years b/c I was going through big life changes back then. I initially got into a Masters in Counselling Psych but glad I didn't do it then b/c I would've withdrawn part way through. I just got into the same Masters program this year and I'm glad I waited. 

Wishing you much luck on your journey!!!

I created a FB group for Laurier's 2 year MSW. I accepted my offer already so please join if you've accepted as well. I'd love to connect! 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/316453560512545

Edit: I don't think there's a group yet... but if there is, please send me the link! 

Edited by priawet

On 4/14/2022 at 3:31 PM, Megan28 said:

Hey!! Congrats on your acceptances!! It’s such a tough decision but an incredibly opportunity to have options :)

I was also accepted to Laurier yesterday and am trying to decide between it and UBCO. Do you mind me asking which fb groups you were able to contact alumni through? I am only seeing private ones that I can’t see members but I agree it would be so helpful to have the insight!

Hey hey! Sorry for the delay. I tried to join the Laurier MSW group (general one) on Facebook but no one has approved me yet, seems it might be a little inactive. I have sent some private messages to members of past Laurier groups whose profiles weren't private! 

1 hour ago, mswhopeful2022 said:

I just heard back from Laurier Full-Time 2 year program by email. I was offered to be placed on the waitlist. They said they will be offering 65 applicants the waitlist. Good luck everybody! 

I was also put on the waitlist. Hopefully since many people have already accepted elsewhere there is a good chance to get off of it!

Has anyone heard from Laurier's advance standing part-time MSW program? I heard back from all other schools a few months ago, and some of my deadlines to accept my offer are coming up. I just want to know if I got into Laurier or if anyone know's when acceptances to their MSW programs usually come out. I see that a couple people from their 2 year MSW program heard back. Any insight is appreciated.

Also, how did they send out admissions offers? Thank You!

Edited by MSWkeen

28 minutes ago, ApplePie25 said:

Hi folks! I just found out I was accepted to UofT's Health and Mental Health stream, part time. This is my third time applying and second time being waitlisted. Sooo third times the charm(lol) AND I'm so excited to finally start this chapter! 

Congrats!! How did you figure out? Were you put off the waitlist?

Question: 
Did anyone get professional help on crafting their application(s)?
Did everyone just workshop applications with social networks, or did anyone use something different?
I know there are organizations that help you construct and polish applications for other competitive academic programs, but I know nothing about any related to social work. 
If you have any resources to share please respond to this post &/or private message me!