On 11/11/2021 at 6:43 PM, SLPwonder said:

Does anybody know if U of A extended their application deadline? It seems to be February 1st now but it was January 15th before. Am I misunderstanding this?

On their website it says: Students can apply online until  11:59 pm February 1st. After that time, on-line applications will not be accepted for the SLP MSc program.

But then it also says:

Applicants must apply online, upload all required documents and make a nonrefundable payment of $135 by January 15th, 2022 to be considered for Fall 2022 Admission

I'm really not sure about this-my thought is that the deadline has been extended to February 1st and that one place that says Jan. 15th is a leftover that they forgot to change. There's only one place now that says Jan. 15th but multiple that say Feb. 1st.

Has anyone emailed Vicky about it?

1 minute ago, SpeechieAlly said:

I'm really not sure about this-my thought is that the deadline has been extended to February 1st and that one place that says Jan. 15th is a leftover that they forgot to change. There's only one place now that says Jan. 15th but multiple that say Feb. 1st.

Has anyone emailed Vicky about it?

The application portal shows February 1st, 2022 as the deadline

On 11/4/2021 at 7:06 PM, SpeechieAlly said:

For U of Alberta, the statement does not explicitly say to talk about why I'd like to go to UofA, but would you recommend discussing it?

I discussed this briefly in my LOI! I can't imagine it would ever hurt to spend some time explicitly explaining why the strengths/attributes you've described in your letter make you an especially good candidate for their school :) 

Hi everyone :)! I was wondering if someone knew how to specify whether a referee was academic or professional on ORPAS (for the Ontario schools)? I don't see a space to specify which category we will use this referee for. Thank you in advance!

10 hours ago, speech_123 said:

Hi everyone :)! I was wondering if someone knew how to specify whether a referee was academic or professional on ORPAS (for the Ontario schools)? I don't see a space to specify which category we will use this referee for. Thank you in advance!

I believe they just infer by position title when you fill out the referee's information. 

10 hours ago, speech_123 said:

Hey! My understanding is that it doesn't matter as they will all have to complete the same process to submit their reference (i.e. letter and referee form) hence why that isn't an option

Hello! I'm wondering if we are allowed to put work experience in the volunteer experience section.

I have work experience in an auditory research lab, tutoring and working with children in various settings. I feel like this is relevant to the profession of SLP and would love to include it on my application but I'm not sure if I would be penalized for this. 

TIA :)

12 hours ago, speech_123 said:

Hey, I spoke to the graduate affairs coordinator at Western about this and they said that the letters  will set them apart. 

14 hours ago, 2022slpplease said:

Hello! I'm wondering if we are allowed to put work experience in the volunteer experience section.

I have work experience in an auditory research lab, tutoring and working with children in various settings. I feel like this is relevant to the profession of SLP and would love to include it on my application but I'm not sure if I would be penalized for this. 

TIA :)

Hi! I emailed Western and UofT and they both said we could include work experience, hope that helps :)

Hey everyone!

I'm a first year student at uOttawa (maîtrise en orthophonie), and I know last year there was a significant lack of resources and information about our uni. So if anyone has any questions about this institution and program feel free to reach out. 

Best of luck :)

Hey, just checking if anyone has any advice/has been in my position? So I should have 2 different transcripts from 1 university. I did my full time undergrad there, and then after graduation, signed up to do some open education classes to get a prerequisite. 2 different student numbers. Last year when I applied, my open education transcript didn't show up and significantly reduced my GPA + didn't show my linguistic prerequisite. This year, I've requested the second transcript 2 different ways just to make sure, but in document tracking it says there's only 1 transcript from that university. I emailed the university's open education system and they said they sent it off. But the ORPAS portal chat won't help at all, they say i need to wait until after January when I've submitted my application to talk about transcripts. Any advice on making sure they both show up before then?

20 hours ago, SLPEventually said:

Hey, just checking if anyone has any advice/has been in my position? So I should have 2 different transcripts from 1 university. I did my full time undergrad there, and then after graduation, signed up to do some open education classes to get a prerequisite. 2 different student numbers. Last year when I applied, my open education transcript didn't show up and significantly reduced my GPA + didn't show my linguistic prerequisite. This year, I've requested the second transcript 2 different ways just to make sure, but in document tracking it says there's only 1 transcript from that university. I emailed the university's open education system and they said they sent it off. But the ORPAS portal chat won't help at all, they say i need to wait until after January when I've submitted my application to talk about transcripts. Any advice on making sure they both show up before then?

Not sure if this is relevant for you since you have two different student numbers, but I completed a degree from one school and then some non-degree credits from the same school later on. I listed that school twice under educational history (one was degree obtained, the other was non-degree) as per the advice from SAM. Since it was the same school only one transcript was received but all of the credits were included. If you didn't try this last year, maybe it could help. Good luck :) 

Hi everyone, 

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem when inputting their prerequisites, but even though I have finished inserting all of my required prerequisites for a given school (e.g., University of Toronto), it proceeds to give me the option to add more. 

Do I need to keep adding courses until this option is no longer given to me? I checked on the admission website and I have all of the required prerequisites, I just don't understand why it is asking me for more...

Hi guys, best of luck to everyone on this application journey! I had a question regarding U of A's application, because it seems a little unclear in the wording. Once you create an application, do you only have 21 days to finish uploading your course lists, statement of intent, and CV as well, or is it just to pay your fee, upload your transcripts, and submit and then you will be able to go back and add stuff in? I started mine because I thought it was the latter but based off the notification that it will expire in 21 days, it is looking like everything must be uploaded.

23 hours ago, pls_SLP said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem when inputting their prerequisites, but even though I have finished inserting all of my required prerequisites for a given school (e.g., University of Toronto), it proceeds to give me the option to add more. 

Do I need to keep adding courses until this option is no longer given to me? I checked on the admission website and I have all of the required prerequisites, I just don't understand why it is asking me for more...

Hey, I just looked and my prerequisites show up as "Entered" in the personal submissions tab but when I click on it, it still gives me the option to add more as well. I wouldn't worry about it if yours says "entered" and you've included all the prerequisites under the correct categories but you could always try asking SAM as well. 

Edited by 2022slpplease

(reposting this bc I don't think it posted before) Hi guys, best of luck to everyone on this application journey! I had a question regarding U of A's application, because it seems a little unclear in the wording. Once you create an application, do you only have 21 days to finish uploading your course lists, statement of intent, and CV as well, or is it just to pay your fee, upload your transcripts, and submit and then you will be able to go back and add stuff in? I started mine because I thought it was the latter but based off the notification that it will expire in 21 days, it is looking like everything must be uploaded including the statement and CV within 21 days of starting the application.

31 minutes ago, hopefulslper said:

(reposting this bc I don't think it posted before) Hi guys, best of luck to everyone on this application journey! I had a question regarding U of A's application, because it seems a little unclear in the wording. Once you create an application, do you only have 21 days to finish uploading your course lists, statement of intent, and CV as well, or is it just to pay your fee, upload your transcripts, and submit and then you will be able to go back and add stuff in? I started mine because I thought it was the latter but based off the notification that it will expire in 21 days, it is looking like everything must be uploaded including the statement and CV within 21 days of starting the application.

Hi :)

The 21 days is just to upload your transcripts and pay the application fee. You can upload the CV/statement of intent/course list any time after the app has been submitted until the deadline. Hope this helps!

(This is my first year applying, so, disclaimer)

Hi everyone,

For the UofA application, I noticed that the last CASPER test date available is January 27, 2022. Are we able to take the test on this date or would it be too late? It takes 2-3 weeks for the results to be distributed to the school so it'll be past the February 1, 2022 deadline for UofA. Does anyone know if that would be a problem? Thanks in advance for any help!!

1 hour ago, damaei said:

does anyone know what Janet means by professional/personal standpoint not a student/clinicial viewpoint for the reference letters? How should I describe this to the Audiologist writing the ref letter for me?

I think you could describe it exactly that way - that it needs to be a professional reference like you would get a reference from someone for a job. Generally the reference before covid hit would be more about you as a student and your potential for clinical practice, how much you've learned within that specific environment pertaining to Audiology. Because the suggestions they gave for a personal/professional reference were individuals like a coach, clergy member, manager etc., I assume they just want evidence of your ability to work well in a professional environment and that someone can vouch for you on that. 

Edited by SoaringSLP

Hey everyone, I thought I'd make a little post about Western's program preview day today for anyone who may have missed it but is still interested in Western for SLP/Aud. 

Most of the information provided was on the program websites, but it was lovely to see the director of communication sciences and also have a Q&A session with students who are in their first and second years in the programs. 

I think the main shocker to me was that there is a mandatory cadaver course. So, you will have to take a course which uses human specimens from individuals who are deceased and have donated these body parts for science. I had no idea about this and I know some people may find this unsettling so I wanted to mention that here to give a heads up. The students during the Q&A portion said that it is normal to feel uncomfortable and you work through it together as a group :)

Edited by 2022slpplease