14 hours ago, damaei said:

For those of you that got accepted, do you guys mind sharing your stats? ??

Yeah for sure!! 

I'm a first time applicant and I'm graduating in 2022 from my undergrad in Education in Teaching English as a Second Language at McGill. So, it's not just Psych and Ling majors that get in (which is what I was quite nervous about)! Education in Quebec is a 4 year program (so a 5 year program for those coming from high school in other provinces). 

CGPA: 3.93

SUBGPA: 3.97 (according to ORPAS)

I have volunteered at a Speech clinic and I ended up getting a job there right after as an administrator (I currently still work there). 

I'm currently also working as an ABA therapist and a substitute teacher. I have loads of teaching experience because of my internships and in my LOI I emphasized why I believed teaching was the best foundation to get into SLP (I knew I wanted to go into SLP before I started my undergrad). 

I also volunteered at an old age home a little while ago. There's a couple other things on my CV but they are from a while ago (day camp, student council, consortium, etc.)

I have absolutely NO research experience. 

Honestly, I think McGill reviews applications really holistically (unlike McMaster for example), I would just do everything in your power to embellish your CV as much as possible so you can look back, know you did everything you could and have no regrets! Good luck everyone still waiting, you got this!! :)❤️ 

9 minutes ago, MELSLP99 said:

Yeah for sure!! 

I'm a first time applicant and I'm graduating in 2022 from my undergrad in Education in Teaching English as a Second Language at McGill. So, it's not just Psych and Ling majors that get in (which is what I was quite nervous about)! Education in Quebec is a 4 year program (so a 5 year program for those coming from high school in other provinces). 

CGPA: 3.93

SUBGPA: 3.97 (according to ORPAS)

I have volunteered at a Speech clinic and I ended up getting a job there right after as an administrator (I currently still work there). 

I'm currently also working as an ABA therapist and a substitute teacher. I have loads of teaching experience because of my internships and in my LOI I emphasized why I believed teaching was the best foundation to get into SLP (I knew I wanted to go into SLP before I started my undergrad). 

I also volunteered at an old age home a little while ago. There's a couple other things on my CV but they are from a while ago (day camp, student council, consortium, etc.)

I have absolutely NO research experience. 

Honestly, I think McGill reviews applications really holistically (unlike McMaster for example), I would just do everything in your power to embellish your CV as much as possible so you can look back, know you did everything you could and have no regrets! Good luck everyone still waiting, you got this!! :)❤️ 

Wow! Amazing stats and congratulations. I am also in education and I also had the same concern of only psych/ling applicants getting in. This seems to be changing in more recent years which is amazing :) Speaking about education being the best foundation to SLP in your LOI is genius! I couldn't agree more and hearing your statement, I wish I emphasized that even more than I did in my own LOI haha. I only applied to Ontario schools so I am anxiously waiting to here back on April 1st but I am happy to see a fellow educator accepted into SLP! All the best :) 

2 hours ago, slp2020ab said:

It's pretty much UofT's student services centre, I'm guessing those that can see it are already UofT students in another program. I am not one either, so we do not get access to it :)

2 hours ago, slp2020ab said:

It's pretty much UofT's student services centre, I'm guessing those that can see it are already UofT students in another program. I am not one either, so we do not get access to it :)

Lol yes Acorn is a UofT student services portal where we have access to our grades, financial account, course enrollment etc. since I am an existing UofT student, I am able to see the “invited” tab for SLP from UofT. That’s probably why you aren’t able to see it just yet! Otherwise, I haven’t received anything specifically from UofT in my email. Keeping my fingers crossed for you ?

Hey everyone, and a big congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far!! I applied to audiology at Dal and Western, but I’m seeing a lot of people on this forum being accepted currently and I have a question about admissions. 

I’m wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of being accepted without an Honours? Is it realistically possible? I have a decent amount of research experience, but I don't have an Honours degree. In 2 independent studies, though, I completed all the same tasks an Honours student would. Do you guys think that would count for anything in the eyes of the admission committee? Thanks :)

6 minutes ago, alyssam said:

Hey everyone, and a big congratulations to everyone who has been accepted so far!! I applied to audiology at Dal and Western, but I’m seeing a lot of people on this forum being accepted currently and I have a question about admissions. 

I’m wondering if anyone knows the likelihood of being accepted without an Honours? Is it realistically possible? I have a decent amount of research experience, but I don't have an Honours degree. In 2 independent studies, though, I completed all the same tasks an Honours student would. Do you guys think that would count for anything in the eyes of the admission committee? Thanks :)

Hey, I know you are referring to Dalhousie but on UofTs website they state you do not need an honours degree. That being said, I don’t think any of the schools require one nor would it make that much of a difference. I think programs generally put more weight on GPA and experience to inform their decisions but that’s just my humble opinion :) 

1 minute ago, 2022slpplease said:

Hey, I know you are referring to Dalhousie but on UofTs website they state you do not need an honours degree. That being said, I don’t think any of the schools require one nor would it make that much of a difference. I think programs generally put more weight on GPA and experience to inform their decisions but that’s just my humble opinion :)

That’s great, thanks for your thoughts! Fingers crossed ? 

18 minutes ago, KaitSLP said:

Congrats everyone who’s been accepted! Has anyone else heard from McGill today? I’m so nervous and can’t stop refreshing. 

^^ SAME. I've also heard that in the past not all people who were accepted received a phone call, some found out by email only. Take this w/ a grain of salt though, bc I'm not too sure! 

I was in Biology and because of covid my gpa dropped to a 3.65 at Concordia. I was a nanny to 3 children, volunteered at children hospital in oncology department, and i work as a unit coordinator at the hospital. I am also a substitute teacher at a daycare, and have experience as a lifeguard with children with disabilities, as well as camps and tutor. I did volunteer at speech center as well. I got 4th quartile in casper and have gotten A's in the prerequisites. I have 2 AMAZING recommendation letters.

I do not have research experience, but because i was in biology I hoped that McGill would reconsider that as a plus because we did alot of labs and research in that program.

Im still waiting to hear:/

1 minute ago, TaySLPApplicant said:

^^ SAME. I've also heard that in the past not all people who were accepted received a phone call, some found out by email only. Take this w/ a grain of salt though, bc I'm not too sure! 

was in Biology and because of covid my gpa dropped to a 3.65 at Concordia. I was a nanny to 3 children, volunteered at children hospital in oncology department, and i work as a unit coordinator at the hospital. I am also a substitute teacher at a daycare, and have experience as a lifeguard with children with disabilities, as well as camps and tutor. I did volunteer at speech center as well. I got 4th quartile in casper and have gotten A's in the prerequisites. I have 2 AMAZING recommendation letters.

I do not have research experience, but because i was in biology I hoped that McGill would reconsider that as a plus because we did alot of labs and research in that program.

Im still waiting to hear i keep checking my emails, but nothing. I felt like I had a different CV and experiences so maybe they would consider, but now im not so sure.

18 hours ago, damaei said:

For those of you that got accepted, do you guys mind sharing your stats? ??

Hey yeah for sure!

• This was my first year applying
  • I majored in linguistics with an extended minor in psychology and certificate of speech science (graduated 2021)
  • GPA 3.96 in a 4.33 system
  • 75 hrs volunteering with SLPs (in a social communication improv program, social skills program, one on one)
  • I have worked in camps for kids with Down syndrome, as an RA in a language development lab (where I also volunteered and did a directed studies), and currently work as an EA at a special ed school.

I hope this is helpful, & wishing you the best of luck!

3 hours ago, alyssam said:

Yeah I definitely think all that experience counts! And you would have been getting so much support from your professors I imagine, in 2 directed studies - that's great. I don't have an honours degree and I was accepted (for SLP not audiology, but still) I have a similar amount of research experience to you. I think a lot of what it comes down to is how you wrote about your experience and what you gained from it in your essay, not just having a certain degree vs. not. 

24 minutes ago, sophiaSLP said:

Yeah I definitely think all that experience counts! And you would have been getting so much support from your professors I imagine, in 2 directed studies - that's great. I don't have an honours degree and I was accepted (for SLP not audiology, but still) I have a similar amount of research experience to you. I think a lot of what it comes down to is how you wrote about your experience and what you gained from it in your essay, not just having a certain degree vs. not. 

Hey! First, congratulations on being accepted!! And second, thank you for your response :) it’s very relieving to hear. I’ll just keep waiting with my fingers crossed

JUST GOT ACCEPTED to U of A!!!!! ?

I'm literally shaking! Congrats to all accepted (and those waiting patiently)! Your time will come! 

Excuse me while I melt into a puddle of happiness! 

Edited by SpeechieWannaB
spelling because I'm a frantic idiot

2 minutes ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

JUST GOT ACCEPTED to U of A!!!!! ?

I'm literally shaking! Congrats to all accepted (and those waiting patiently)! You're time will come! 

Excuse me while I melt into a puddle of happiness! 

OMG YAY!!!! Congratulations!!!! did they email you?? I haven't heard back yet, so nervousss

24 minutes ago, slpaspiring said:

CONGRATS!! how did you find out did they email or did your portal change?

24 minutes ago, SLPwonder said:

OMG YAY!!!! Congratulations!!!! did they email you?? I haven't heard back yet, so nervousss

Thanks!! 

Oddly, it was an email directly from Vicki with an acceptance letter as an attachment. 

My last name starts with W... so not sure if that matters. 

Also, my portal still says pre screening ?

Edited by SpeechieWannaB