4 minutes ago, AlwaysanAssistant said:

Also got the rejection from McGill... 

Feeling pretty disheartened as I hoped my 6 years of experience in the field may have spoken for itself. I guess my grades were my downfall, ultimately. 

Any CDAs/Speech assistants out there with advice on getting in next year? 

same here for the letter, although I was expecting it since McGill takes very small cohorts. If all else fails (still waiting on my university of Montreal application) I plan on doing a minor in cognitive science next year and doing more volunteer hours in the hopes of applying to more unis next year (notably UQTR, Ulaval, U of M and Ottawa).

2 hours ago, ewdavid said:

For those who have heard from UofA, has anyone's GSMS portal been updated yet? Mine still says pre-screening.

Mine says pre-screening too! I was expecting to get an email to submit a grade form / updated transcript bc I have one more prerec to complete but nothing yet

1 hour ago, ManitobaSLPStudent said:

Officially received my rejection letter from McGill. My GPA is not very competitive so I already basically knew but I'm glad I don't have to think about it anymore. 

Got mine today too! Try not to be too discouraged ( I know, easier said than done), everything will work out for us the way its supposed to I guess! Sucks for now, but we will make it work :) 

25 minutes ago, AlwaysanAssistant said:

Also got the rejection from McGill... 

Feeling pretty disheartened as I hoped my 6 years of experience in the field may have spoken for itself. I guess my grades were my downfall, ultimately. 

Any CDAs/Speech assistants out there with advice on getting in next year? 

I'm in the same boat. I kind of knew already, because I have next to no hands-on volunteer experience (thank you COVID for messing with all the volunteering I had set up ?).

I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools, but if I dont get in this year my plan is to RAKE IN those volunteer hours, and get as much experience as I can in the meant time. Also, save some $$$--gotta look at the positives :) 

I'm also going to look into a few different certifications and courses that will make me stand out and have some extra knowledge. Also potentially take some more uni courses to bump up my sGPA, although it is pretty high already so maybe not necessary. 

Hang in there, you aren't alone!!!! 

Just now, TaySLPApplicant said:

I'm in the same boat. I kind of knew already, because I have next to no hands-on volunteer experience (thank you COVID for messing with all the volunteering I had set up ?).

I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools, but if I dont get in this year my plan is to RAKE IN those volunteer hours, and get as much experience as I can in the meant time. Also, save some $$$--gotta look at the positives :) 

I'm also going to look into a few different certifications and courses that will make me stand out and have some extra knowledge. Also potentially take some more uni courses to bump up my sGPA, although it is pretty high already so maybe not necessary. 

Hang in there, you aren't alone!!!! 

Could you apply as an open studies student to a uni and take some courses to bump up your sGPA? Hope this helps :) 

Just got my rejection letter from McGill! It sucks, but I kinda knew it was gonna happen because of the lack of LOI. Also, does anyone know how big Dal's cohort is? That's kind of where I really want to go! So, really curious how many they take since they got 550 applicants this year.

10 minutes ago, TaySLPApplicant said:

Could you apply as an open studies student to a uni and take some courses to bump up your sGPA? Hope this helps :) 

What I did is I emailed my uni registrar that I did my undergrad in and they registered me as a non-degree student. This made it so I only paid on a course by course basis. Did unfortunately make it so that I could only enroll in courses after everyone else, but a lot of the courses I wanted were still available.

This was at UofT, but I'm sure that it would be similar at most places even if it's been a year since your undergrad.

2 hours ago, AG404 said:

Just got my rejection letter from McGill! It sucks, but I kinda knew it was gonna happen because of the lack of LOI. Also, does anyone know how big Dal's cohort is? That's kind of where I really want to go! So, really curious how many they take since they got 550 applicants this year.

Only 39 spots between aud and speech if I remember correctly. Where did you read that they received 550 applicants this year? 

1 minute ago, SLPThreadGirl said:

Only 39 spots between aud and speech if I remember correctly. Where did you read that they received 550 applicants this year? 

HOLY.... ok, lol! Someone posted it here awhile back. I'll try to find it!

On 3/4/2022 at 2:55 PM, DalSLP said:

I am currently an SLP student at Dal. For those of you waiting, our prof today said that they have received the largest number of applications this year with around 550 applicants (she's been here for around a decade). If it's taking some time to get back to you, it's most likely because they're swamped right now. Just thought I'd share!

@SLPThreadGirl

14 minutes ago, SLPThreadGirl said:

We definitely didn't have 39 spots for this past year. We started with 36 I believe; however, we are now down to 34. 

6 minutes ago, DalSLP said:

We definitely didn't have 39 spots for this past year. We started with 36 I believe; however, we are now down to 34. 

I was basing it on the email I received in 2020 when I was waitlisted but I guess it goes up and down each year but definitely under 40. Either way, very limited spots.

25 minutes ago, DalSLP said:

17 minutes ago, SLPThreadGirl said:

I was basing it on the email I received in 2020 when I was waitlisted but I guess it goes up and down each year but definitely under 40. Either way, very limited spots.

Is it only 30+ for SLP and 30+ for Aud?

31 minutes ago, DalSLP said:

5 minutes ago, AG404 said:

Is it only 30+ for SLP and 30+ for Aud?

From what I remember it's less for aud but I'm sure someone in the program will know the exact numbers. 

Hey everyone!! Congratulations to those who got acceptances this week. I received emails from both U of A as well as McGill yesterday letting me know I am on the waitlist for both. My U of A email came in from Vicki at 10:41am and I heard from McGill at 12:07pm. Still waiting to hear from Dal, U of T, and Western. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of us still waiting on an acceptance.  

7 hours ago, ElsaNotFrozen said:

Hey I know everyone on here is applying to english schools, but does anyone know when UdeM would be sending out answers? Still haven't heard anything... I'm bilingual but I'm not a Quebec resident so I'm not too hopeful

in a video on their facebook page (Q&A) they said they're aiming for April 1st. However last year it went on after the 1st as well. 

21 hours ago, DalSLP said:

this year we had 23 SLP and 13 AUD

Heyy hello! I received my acceptance e-mail from Dalhousie University this past week. I ended choosing Audiology and was wondering if we could connect since you seem familiar about the whole environment. I’m from Quebec, so I’m really stressed hahaha! Let me know! :) 

21 hours ago, SLPThreadGirl said:

Heyy hello! I received my acceptance e-mail from Dalhousie University this past week. I ended choosing Audiology and was wondering if we could connect since you seem familiar about the whole environment. I just saw that you’re probably in S-LP, but any advice would be great!  Let me know! :)