3 hours ago, ewdavid said:

Does anybody know how U of A weighs the Casper test scores in applications? Do they tend to accept applicants with certain quartile scores?

This is the first year with quartile scores revealed to applicants so unfortunately there's no way of knowing for sure, as none of the accepted applicants from before (including myself) got this information! However, I don't think the CASPer is weighted too heavily, they're still figuring out its value and I think your other materials probably play a larger role. 

12 minutes ago, Wugs said:

This is the first year with quartile scores revealed to applicants so unfortunately there's no way of knowing for sure, as none of the accepted applicants from before (including myself) got this information! However, I don't think the CASPer is weighted too heavily, they're still figuring out its value and I think your other materials probably play a larger role. 

That's a good point! I forgot it was the first year with quartile scores. Thanks!

On 3/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, SLPplease3 said:

Would anyone be interested in meeting (through zoom, Skype, etc) to practice MMI? We could go through some scenarios, give each other some feedback :)

Hey I love that idea, I’d be interested in joining too!! 

On 3/1/2022 at 3:35 PM, SpeechieSar said:

I'm in the same boat! I emailed and just got an automated email back which essentially said not to email ... :( 

Just wanted to update, 

I received an email from Dal saying that my application documents have been received. If you haven't gotten an email yet I'm sure that it is coming very soon :) 

I am currently an SLP student at Dal. For those of you waiting, our prof today said that they have received the largest number of applications this year with around 550 applicants (she's been here for around a decade). If it's taking some time to get back to you, it's most likely because they're swamped right now. Just thought I'd share!

4 hours ago, DalSLP said:

I am currently an SLP student at Dal. For those of you waiting, our prof today said that they have received the largest number of applications this year with around 550 applicants (she's been here for around a decade). If it's taking some time to get back to you, it's most likely because they're swamped right now. Just thought I'd share!

OMG!!! That’s A LOT of apps! How many people are in your cohort? :) 

On 2/18/2022 at 5:50 AM, SpeechieSar said:

I still have not received anything! Starting to worry.. but probably just making their way down a list. :)

oh wow. 

Do you know how many they received last year?

I wonder why the number of apps have been increasing like crazy over the past few years..do u guys think it is because of covid that people are choosing to do grad schools or is it the field that is just getting more popularity all of a sudden? 

On 3/1/2022 at 10:49 AM, SLPplease3 said:

Would anyone be interested in meeting (through zoom, Skype, etc) to practice MMI? We could go through some scenarios, give each other some feedback :)

I am interested!

On 3/2/2022 at 8:24 AM, 2022slp said:

Hello, I would also be interested!! Would love to make a group chat as well. :)

Hi, I would love to join as well if that's possible!

19 hours ago, damaei said:

oh wow. 

Do you know how many they received last year?

I wonder why the number of apps have been increasing like crazy over the past few years..do u guys think it is because of covid that people are choosing to do grad schools or is it the field that is just getting more popularity all of a sudden? 

I don't know how many they had last year, but I believe they dropped the GRE requirement this year, which was the the thing stopping me from applying there in the past. Combine that with no specific course prerequisites, I'm thinking this program became more popular since it became that much easier to submit an application. In addition, it seems that applications to all SLP programs have been becoming more competitive year over year.

Could be wrong, just thought think out loud haha.

1 hour ago, SLPwonder said:

Is anybody else's application still "pre-screening" for UofA?

Yep. 

Last year mine said pre-screening even after they sent my rejection notification lol. So don't panic... they aren't the most apt at updating them (in my humble experience of course). 

4 hours ago, SpeechieWannaB said:

Yep. 

Last year mine said pre-screening even after they sent my rejection notification lol. So don't panic... they aren't the most apt at updating them (in my humble experience of course). 

Thanks for letting us know :) , I keep checking the portal like a crazy person hahahha

Does anyone have any guesses as to when Alberta will start releasing admission decisions this year? I know earlier in the thread someone said mid-March, but maybe not this year pending a potential strike. 

1 hour ago, SpeechieAlly said:

Does anyone have any guesses as to when Alberta will start releasing admission decisions this year? I know earlier in the thread someone said mid-March, but maybe not this year pending a potential strike. 

I just saw this on the strike FAQ page on the U of A website, so I don't think the strike will impact the admissions timeline. image.thumb.png.c5dcefe685b10f74506975ed6d3c48aa.png

On 3/4/2022 at 2:12 PM, 2022SLPhopefully said:

Just wanted to update, 

I received an email from Dal saying that my application documents have been received. If you haven't gotten an email yet I'm sure that it is coming very soon :) 

Just received mine also. Thanks for the moral support lol :) 

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is holding up ok. I know I have been sitting here waiting anxiously every day to get an answer. Does anyone happen to know when McGill is planning on sending out their acceptances? On their website, it says mid-march. But was wondering if anyone had more insight on a more specific date. Thank you!! :)

57 minutes ago, speech_123 said:

Hi everyone! Hope everyone is holding up ok. I know I have been sitting here waiting anxiously every day to get an answer. Does anyone happen to know when McGill is planning on sending out their acceptances? On their website, it says mid-march. But was wondering if anyone had more insight on a more specific date. Thank you!! :)

You’re not alone, I’ve been religiously checking my emails for no reason lmao. For the past 3 years (that I know of), McGill has been calling their accepted students on March 15th, but I don’t know if it will be exactly the same this year! Hope this helps! 

2 minutes ago, MELSLP99 said:

You’re not alone, I’ve been religiously checking my emails for no reason lmao. For the past 3 years (that I know of), McGill has been calling their accepted students on March 15th, but I don’t know if it will be exactly the same this year! Hope this helps! 

Yup agreed ^, I got the email on the same day response March 15th, I think in the morning. Another thing I remember is that responses are sent out within a few hours of each other. Might be alpha order since I got mine a lot earlier (I have an early surname) compared to my friend who has a later surname. Could be wrong on that, but thought that info might be helpful for those with later surnames who might be stressing.

Hi everyone! 

Is anyone else else in the same boat - I'm a current fourth year at York and applied to SLP programs at University of Toronto and Western but I'm concerned about the talk surrounding a strike at York. They announced the tentative day for a strike to be March 23 but negotiations are still going on. I feel really good about my applications and will be devastated if this strike affects my chance at admissions due to marks not being allowed to be submitted or courses being put on hold so close to when I was supposed to graduate. 

Does anyone have any insight on what would happen in this case with my applications? It's my first time ever going through something like this and it's been stressing me out a lot. For now I'm trying to carry on with my school work and hope for the best. Thanks guys :)

1 hour ago, Natalie SLP said:

Hi everyone! 

Is anyone else else in the same boat - I'm a current fourth year at York and applied to SLP programs at University of Toronto and Western but I'm concerned about the talk surrounding a strike at York. They announced the tentative day for a strike to be March 23 but negotiations are still going on. I feel really good about my applications and will be devastated if this strike affects my chance at admissions due to marks not being allowed to be submitted or courses being put on hold so close to when I was supposed to graduate. 

Does anyone have any insight on what would happen in this case with my applications? It's my first time ever going through something like this and it's been stressing me out a lot. For now I'm trying to carry on with my school work and hope for the best. Thanks guys :)

Hi! I also completed my degree at York U and went through a strike albeit it was ages ago and during my second year. I know that schools will need to look at your remainder grades in order for you to keep your admission but I'm not entirely sure what will happen in the case that a strike occurs. I know last time some professors did continue courses and gave students the opportunity to accept a grade based on 60% of assessments being completed and many still gave students the opportunity to write a final exam or assessment. If a strike does ensue and you receive admission before the remainder of your grades are released, I'd communicate with the specific school you end up accepting your offer of admission.

Edited by SoaringSLP

6 hours ago, Natalie SLP said:

Hi everyone! 

As a student who is currently finishing their degree at the University of Manitoba, I definitely understand strike stress ? I had similar questions for my U of A application and was told that I would not be penalized for any issues the strike caused and I’m sure other universities feel the same way. I’m not entirely sure about how it’ll affect your graduation since our strike was last term but I will say that profs (at least here) we’re very good to students and did everything they could to help everyone finish on time