MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

2 hours ago, Frank14 said:

Just got a notification from Cal State SF "Your GPA does not meet the minimum university admission requirement. Please contact the Division of Graduate Studies." My GPA is a 2.95 and I still have 15 credits to complete before I graduate. I have all A's and B's but failed one anthropology class two semesters ago ?‍♂️.

I was hoping I was close enough to the 3.0 requirement that they'd be willing to consider me on the condition my GPA is higher by the time I graduate in May of this year, but I've pretty much lost all hope of acceptance to any programs at this point ??.

If you really want to go to SFSU, I'd appeal it.

I was denied admission to UC Santa Cruz over some Mickey Mouse thing. Upon appeal I was offered admission to the University of California. Almost everything in academia has an appeal process.

SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY GRADUATE APPEALS

Graduate Student Requests for Exceptions to Academic Policies

Exceptions to Academic Policies

Listed below are some of the more common graduate student requests for exceptions to academic policies of the University. The chart indicates with whom each type of request is initiated and any subsequent levels in the process that may be either optional or required. Any questions regarding the procedures for the appeals listed, or about any appeals that may not be listed, should be directed to the Division of Graduate Studies, ADM 254.

Graduate Waiver of 3.0 GPA Admission Requirement

Master's Degree and Credential Objective Students
Appeals
Level Office
First Recommendation of Graduate Advisor or Program Chair
Second Dean, Graduate Studies

3 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

Hey! I also applied in MFA Sculpture at RISD and I am international applicant. I didn't receive any update yet. WORRIED!!! 

I am not sure what does this all mean, either they aren't interested in my work or is it slow for international applicants.

I know... I just wish there is an update. I have been seeing that many people are receiving interview invitations but many of those schools I haven't heard from. I really hope there is diff. time slot for international students but I don't know. It's an online interview so it shouldn't be? WORRIED SAME

9 hours ago, HJAn said:

Yeah! I got an interview request this afternoon actually. I have no idea if they do things differently for international students. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but the email did say they reviewed all applications for the program.... 

Hopefully you'll get some good news soon.

Side note: I've been trying to prepare for interview questions and kind of stumped by How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Does anyone know how you're supposed to answer this question? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Oh my. Now I am so anxious. Please let there be something, any school.

But so happy for you for getting the interview!!!

4 minutes ago, Lynn9900 said:

I know... I just wish there is an update. I have been seeing that many people are receiving interview invitations but many of those schools I haven't heard from. I really hope there is diff. time slot for international students but I don't know. It's an online interview so it shouldn't be? WORRIED SAME

Let's wait and see how things turn out to be.

4 minutes ago, Lynn9900 said:

Also did you ask any school about your application status? I was thinking to drop an email

1 minute ago, Lynn9900 said:

Oh my. Now I am so anxious. Please let there be something, any school.

But so happy for you for getting the interview!!!

Thanks!

I've seen on past forums, someone posting that sometimes RISD accepts applicants without interviews... I'm not sure how accurate this information is though. Hopefully, you'll hear some good news soon!

47 minutes ago, hellotothefuture said:

Also did you ask any school about your application status? I was thinking to drop an email

I just asked Upenn a few minutes ago.  I am not sure what other school I should ask.

I emailed and asked if all interview invitation were sent out to domestic students and international students at the same time.

49 minutes ago, HJAn said:

Thanks!

I've seen on past forums, someone posting that sometimes RISD accepts applicants without interviews... I'm not sure how accurate this information is though. Hopefully, you'll hear some good news soon!

I believe some RISD departments, like printmaking, accept students without interviews. But painting and sculpture require interviews. 

6 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

did anyone apply for Hunter?

Yes also applied to Hunter, I missed their info session and feel like I don’t really know enough about the program.

9 hours ago, hellotothefuture said:

did anyone apply for Hunter?

I did! It's the only school I applied to so I've just been over here freaking out waiting for time to move faster, I applied for sculpture and am a little worried because the sculpture I see coming out of Hunter feels a lot more minimalistic than mine so I hope they aren't too set on one particular style.

49 minutes ago, Forms Without Formula said:

I did! It's the only school I applied to so I've just been over here freaking out waiting for time to move faster, I applied for sculpture and am a little worried because the sculpture I see coming out of Hunter feels a lot more minimalistic than mine so I hope they aren't too set on one particular style.

I also applied in MFA Sculpture at Hunter. wow!

I hope we get a good news soon. But I am not that hopeful for myself tbh. I know my portfolio is pretty promising but my statement was a mess. I could have done better.

Where did you see their work? Instagram? I heard their MFA is really cool, a bit more self driven and yet intensive.

1 hour ago, AncientQuail said:

just got an email about scheduling a specific date for my UW printmaking interview. can confirm that interviews started happening this week and will wrap up on Feb 11. 

Hi Ancient Quail. UW is my top school, I wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how it goes!

23 hours ago, seelamfa22 said:

If a faculty from a school that you applied to suddenly started following you on Instagram after the application deadline, what does it mean? ?? Who else is looking for signs anywhere and everywhere like a maniac? Lol 

This happened to me after a toured a school before applying, hopefully it's a good sign for us ?

1 hour ago, hellotothefuture said:

I also applied in MFA Sculpture at Hunter. wow!

I hope we get a good news soon. But I am not that hopeful for myself tbh. I know my portfolio is pretty promising but my statement was a mess. I could have done better.

Where did you see their work? Instagram? I heard their MFA is really cool, a bit more self driven and yet intensive.

Oh wow cool! On the Hunter MFA website you can browse the current students and filter to show the people in the sculpture concentration, just took another look and there's actually a pretty vast range of the kind of work people are making. I really like the idea of it being a fairly self driven program, I'm used to working on my own but am just craving the community of artists to bounce ideas off of.

Should only be another week or two before we hear about interviews based on past forums! I wouldn't worry too much about the essay, if the work intrigues the committee they'll want to talk to you!

How important do you people think the vibe of a program is? Are some schools more open to different styles and some schools more stuck in a certain type of work? 

12 hours ago, The-Fourth-Dimension said:

If you really want to go to SFSU, I'd appeal it.

I was denied admission to UC Santa Cruz over some Mickey Mouse thing. Upon appeal I was offered admission to the University of California. Almost everything in academia has an appeal process.

SAN FRANCISCO STATE UNIVERSITY GRADUATE APPEALS

Graduate Student Requests for Exceptions to Academic Policies

Exceptions to Academic Policies

Listed below are some of the more common graduate student requests for exceptions to academic policies of the University. The chart indicates with whom each type of request is initiated and any subsequent levels in the process that may be either optional or required. Any questions regarding the procedures for the appeals listed, or about any appeals that may not be listed, should be directed to the Division of Graduate Studies, ADM 254.

Graduate Waiver of 3.0 GPA Admission Requirement

Master's Degree and Credential Objective Students
Appeals
Level Office
First Recommendation of Graduate Advisor or Program Chair
Second Dean, Graduate Studies

That's a good idea, thank you! I did reach out to the graduate office via email as they instructed so we will see where it goes from there ?