MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

6 hours ago, Mfanymph22 said:

Heyy has anyone applied to Columbia Sculpture|expanded media ?any results?interviews? 

Thank you,I hope everyone is fine and high spirited,it turns out that this process is way more stressful than it seems.

I heard back from photo for an interview Tuesday but every department is different I think. I still haven’t heard anything from UCLA even though it seems they already finished their interviews in other departments.

Is there not anyone who applied to UCLA for photo and received an interview request? I wonder if the deadline for the photo department is different from the other departments since they probably have more applicants than usual this year. 

Hey there!  Just thought I'd send an update in case it's helpful for anyone else (I know I like seeing everyone report in!). I interviewed with Alfred (sculpture) on Tuesday, they were pretty formal, as in having a set number of specific questions instead of asking me to discuss anything in my portfolio.  I also got an interview invite from SUNY Purchase for next week.  I still have heard nothing from other sculpture programs which doesn't seem like a good omen at this point but it's not over till it's over.......I'm still waiting on UT Austin, UCLA, and VCU.   

On 2/16/2022 at 5:06 PM, reddish said:

Hey everyone, I’ve been lurking on this thread since January, thought I would share my own experience so far. I received my BFA in painting in 2019 and this is the first time I’ve applied to MFA programs. Here’s the run down on who I’ve heard from so far and who I’m waiting on.

-Ohio State, waitlist

-Northwestern, rejected

-University of Arkansas, interviewed on 02/05, waiting for decision

-RISD, interviewed on 02/09, waiting for decision

Still waiting to hear from: UConn, Syracuse University, Michigan State, University of Wisconsin-Madison. Anybody in painting hear from those folks yet?

Good luck everyone!

Update: accepted to Syracuse, there was no interview. I received an email from the department stating that I was accepted and that I would receive an official offer with scholarship award amount at a later date. The person who emailed me also asked for times I would be available in the coming days to talk on the phone/via zoom. 

also, looks like folks in painting might have already been notified of acceptance to RISD? bummer, they were my top choice. 

1 hour ago, RyanV said:

I heard back from photo for an interview Tuesday but every department is different I think. I still haven’t heard anything from UCLA even though it seems they already finished their interviews in other departments.

Dang so Columbia photo sent out interview requests already? Good luck!!

Also, did anyone here apply to NYU Steinhardt's MFA?

Edited by mfa2000applicant
Added a question about a school

1 hour ago, reddish said:

Update: accepted to Syracuse, there was no interview. I received an email from the department stating that I was accepted and that I would receive an official offer with scholarship award amount at a later date. The person who emailed me also asked for times I would be available in the coming days to talk on the phone/via zoom. 

also, looks like folks in painting might have already been notified of acceptance to RISD? bummer, they were my top choice. 

Congrats! I was wondering if they interviewed. 

Would y’all say that rules out applicants who didn’t get an unofficial acceptance? ? congrats again, cheers!

1 minute ago, artcat said:

I also applied ot UCLA and VCU sculpture but have heard nothing .... maybe they're just taking their time??  fingers crossed for both of us!

Yes, I hope you receive some good news soon too! I applied to VCU last year, and the process was... lol. I actually never received a notification even after the April 15 decision deadline, and I had to email the department. Some time in late May I received an email apology and a copy of my rejection letter. They didn't send me an email notice, and it seems they don't do portal updates. If you're rejected, it goes out by mail, I think in mid-March. I applied early this year before the first January 15 deadline, but I remember by this time last year they had been doing sculpture interviews, so, ehh...

I'm sad Guadalupe Maravilla is not on faculty there this year. UCLA, I'm applying to for the first time. 

I posted this on the results page https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ as well but this week I interviewed with Colorado State, received a second round interview invite from MICA, and was invited to interview at San Francisco State! 

MICA-Multidisciplinary Art (Mount Royal) and the other two for MFA Painting! I'm super excited and thought the CSU interview went really well! I actually didn't think the MICA interview went that well so I'm surprised to have gotten a second interview invite. 

Like many others, still have not heard back from VCU or UCI ?‍♂️?

On 2/17/2022 at 4:55 PM, _redrabbit7 said:

Anyway, I had come online to share some good news. A few hours ago I received an acceptance email from RISD. They have awarded me a Society of Presidential Fellowship, which covers all my tuition for both my first and second year. I have also been given a TA position that comes with a purse of 5000 USD per annum, although I think every candidate gets that. 

hi @_redrabbit7! HUGE congratulations on your acceptance and presidential fellowship to RISD!

I was wondering if you were told much about the nature of the presidential scholarship (how many people are awarded it/if all of them have been allocated yet?) I was accepted to RISD for printmaking but was offered very little money (a fellowship of $14,000 and a TA salary of $4,000). I was wondering if it would be unprofessional for me to ask my department's graduate program director about the presidential scholarship specifically, as I've already been accepted to 2 other schools that would cover my tuition entirely. 

unofficially accepted to University of Iowa for printmaking ?

has anyone been getting phone call requests from faculty members at the schools you were accepted to? I spoke to someone from RISD yesterday about my financial package and am talking to someone from iowa today. anyone have insight as to why they do this?

37 minutes ago, AncientQuail said:

hi @_redrabbit7! HUGE congratulations on your acceptance and presidential fellowship to RISD!

I was wondering if you were told much about the nature of the presidential scholarship (how many people are awarded it/if all of them have been allocated yet?) I was accepted to RISD for printmaking but was offered very little money (a fellowship of $14,000 and a TA salary of $4,000). I was wondering if it would be unprofessional for me to ask my department's graduate program director about the presidential scholarship specifically, as I've already been accepted to 2 other schools that would cover my tuition entirely. 

Hello @Ancient Quail, thanks for your compliments.

I have not been able to speak with the head of department concerning the Presidential Fellowship, so I wouldn't know how many applicants were awarded, how many were allocated, etc. We are hoping to jump on a call one of these days, to align and discuss further details about my application and so forth. 

I am sorry to hear that RISD did not offer you a full ride. But then, two schools are offering you that so congratulations, I think that is something to be glad and grateful for. 

I cannot say for certain if it would be professional for you to ask about the Presidential Fellowship. Applicants who get awarded are usually nominated by department heads and deans. I did not know anything about this fellowship prior  to my award. Kindly check details here: http://risd.edu/giving/priorities/society-presidential-fellows.

Edited by _redrabbit7

On 2/17/2022 at 6:01 PM, Westcoasty said:

@medsuppy, I applied for sculpture. I applied to several grad schools (not including Bard) a few years ago for painting, but my practice is really interdisciplinary and my paintings are sculptural, so I think this may be a better path for me. You're applying for painting, yeah? What made you choose Bard as the one to apply to this year?

Sculptural paintings?! ? 

What materials do you use? I am currently working towards exploring that aspect of painting. 

1 hour ago, Frank14 said:

I posted this on the results page https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/ as well but this week I interviewed with Colorado State, received a second round interview invite from MICA, and was invited to interview at San Francisco State! 

MICA-Multidisciplinary Art (Mount Royal) and the other two for MFA Painting! I'm super excited and thought the CSU interview went really well! I actually didn't think the MICA interview went that well so I'm surprised to have gotten a second interview invite. 

Hi there, 

I went to MICA for my undergrad and I must say, the facilities, culture, and Mount Royal in particular are quite amazing. I know it comes with a price tag but if I could I would go in a heartbeat. Baltimore is a fabulous place to make art and it really pushed me not only as an artist but as a person. I have read your work is about your Chicano background, which I think would be very well received there. Many students make work that is culturally focused and as a result, it really shaped my world view. But more importantly of course, I imagine this program would support and elevate your practice. The city gets a bad rep, but it is fantastic. Also, with John's Hopkins, its filled with brilliant minds of all sorts. Just my two cents.

Did anyone else interview with Boston University Painting? I'm curious if Josephine was conducting all of the interviews, or if anyone met with Lucy Kim instead. I think my interview went as well as it could have considering I am a very multidisciplinary painting/sculpture/print/photo hybrid and Josephine is a very "capital P" Painter.

I am curious if anyone got to talk with Lucy, since she has a much broader approach to painting that is more intertwined with sculpture and similar to me. She made a point at the open house to stress that their program accepts all kinds of points of view on painting, but my interview with Josephine was very much from a capital P perspective of painting with niche references that was veryyyyyyy far from where my head is at.

Edited by katfude5

2 hours ago, Frank14 said:

Also, on the MICA note, they have more money than they lead on! Ask and you shall receive, something I unfortunately didn't learn until my last year. If you tell them you need more or have a better offer, odds are they will counter it. Remember they get 50k a year per undergrad...

Interviewed with Yale this past week, and it started off just ok but ended decently, and that's when i felt i really started to connect to my interviewers, towards the end.

It's my first time applying to MFA programs and this was my first interview so far, so I'm trying to not think about my slip-ups too much and focus more on what I did well, but it's difficult!!  guess I'll find out the results soon enough. Regardless i'm still happy to have made it this far, and will take what i learned into my next interview, which is with Hunter in two weeks.

Edited by tmng