MFA 2022 Freak Out Forum

Michelle Santa Cruz

33 minutes ago, 1800goodluck said:

I’m on the waitlist for Tyler (second year in a row!) and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestion for what I could do? Other than telling the department head that yes I do want to stay on the waitlist and yes I do really want to go there. 

After visiting Thursday, I got a bit of insight on how their funding works and how they shuffle students around.  

Apparently, the students there get a certain number of semesters funded in the form of TAships that come with a stipend. Certain applicants are considered for fellowships based off of diversity and portfolio where part of the their stay is funded by temple and the the specific department in the form of additional TAships. This is often something that the Dean of the university overlooks so it has nothing to do with your relationship with the program. The rest of the TAships get divided amount grad prospective grad students so that they have anywhere from 2-4 semesters funded completely. Hence why they keep some programs small so that students that are there are able to have funding to be engaged and focused on the program.

After meeting in person, the print head talked about my position right now and how they already had one student confirmed for teaching in Rome for a year, and another student that was offered the fellowship. My offer and if I get in or not is dependent upon how that pans out with what they can give me.

What I would do though, is disclose any offers you have already with your department. The print head is going back to the dean with my offer to try and counter what I have to secure more funding so that they can give me an offer. So if you have anything, it’s worth mentioning to your department.

4 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

After visiting Thursday, I got a bit of insight on how their funding works and how they shuffle students around.  

Apparently, the students there get a certain number of semesters funded in the form of TAships that come with a stipend. Certain applicants are considered for fellowships based off of diversity and portfolio where part of the their stay is funded by temple and the the specific department in the form of additional TAships. This is often something that the Dean of the university overlooks so it has nothing to do with your relationship with the program. The rest of the TAships get divided amount grad prospective grad students so that they have anywhere from 2-4 semesters funded completely. Hence why they keep some programs small so that students that are there are able to have funding to be engaged and focused on the program.

After meeting in person, the print head talked about my position right now and how they already had one student confirmed for teaching in Rome for a year, and another student that was offered the fellowship. My offer and if I get in or not is dependent upon how that pans out with what they can give me.

What I would do though, is disclose any offers you have already with your department. The print head is going back to the dean with my offer to try and counter what I have to secure more funding so that they can give me an offer. So if you have anything, it’s worth mentioning to your department.

That is extremely helpful information. They mentioned a sculpture TA-ship during my interview (I have worked as a shop tech for the past 4 years) and I now understand more why. 
I do not have any other offers and would take literally anything which I’m tempted to say but also I don’t want to come off as desperate as I actually am. 

48 minutes ago, 1800goodluck said:

That is extremely helpful information. They mentioned a sculpture TA-ship during my interview (I have worked as a shop tech for the past 4 years) and I now understand more why. 
I do not have any other offers and would take literally anything which I’m tempted to say but also I don’t want to come off as desperate as I actually am. 

I’m sorry you are in that position. Reapplying is always frustrating so the impending nature of an offer maybe coming through is quite frankly, annoying.

2 minutes ago, slickjaketheruler said:

I’m sorry you are in that position. Reapplying is always frustrating so the impending nature of an offer maybe coming through is quite frankly, annoying.

Yes, it is difficult to express how frustrated I am with the entire process. It’s been three years of trying to get grad school to work out and here I am trying to figure out how to beg a dept head to let me in when ultimately he might not even be able to. But I also really appreciate the information as it makes the whole thing less of an ego blow! 

1 hour ago, 1800goodluck said:

Yes, it is difficult to express how frustrated I am with the entire process. It’s been three years of trying to get grad school to work out and here I am trying to figure out how to beg a dept head to let me in when ultimately he might not even be able to. But I also really appreciate the information as it makes the whole thing less of an ego blow! 

It’s really just incredibly competitive school. Print is looking at 2-3 people this year, and since 2 offers have been given out with a full ride being one of them pending, who knows if I’ll actually get one based on other applicants.

6 hours ago, 1800goodluck said:

I’m on the waitlist for Tyler (second year in a row!) and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestion for what I could do? Other than telling the department head that yes I do want to stay on the waitlist and yes I do really want to go there. 

Did they tell you you’re on the waitlist? I haven’t heard anything since my interview and am assuming I’m on a waitlist or they’re just waiting a long time to reject me lol

3 minutes ago, Ponygurl said:

Did they tell you you’re on the waitlist? I haven’t heard anything since my interview and am assuming I’m on a waitlist or they’re just waiting a long time to reject me lol

It’s totally different department to department! I applied for painting. And I had to email to find out. Last year I heard nothing until March 26th and that’s when they sent acceptances too. 

2 hours ago, slickjaketheruler said:

It’s really just incredibly competitive school. Print is looking at 2-3 people this year, and since 2 offers have been given out with a full ride being one of them pending, who knows if I’ll actually get one based on other applicants.

Yes! I also remember during their info session they said they had a more limited amount of spots than usual because some people deferred last year due to covid. I applied to Tyler for printmaking and never heard anything so I've assumed and made peace with rejection at this point. Weird that they haven't sent anything though!

Just now, 1800goodluck said:

It’s totally different department to department! I applied for painting. And I had to email to find out. Last year I heard nothing until March 26th and that’s when they sent acceptances too. 

Oh I’m painting also! Did you reach out to who you interviewed with?

Has anyone heard back from Pratt, UCLA, or Columbia painting yet? Ive heard back from all other schools, (got rejected form some and admitted to others) it's my first round applying and it seems pretty late in the game now. Just wanting to know at this point!!

First congratulations for everyone!

Some info about my application: I have been rejected by some schools, got interviewed by CalArts and SAIC. The only offer I got now is from SAIC but without scholarships. No heard from UCLA and Columbia but I assume both rejection.

I really like SAIC but the tuition is too much for me... I'm thinking about either not go to grad schools for now and work for several years, or take the offer with student loans. Is it worth taking on a lot of debt to go to graduate school? I was graduated in 2020, and the salary of the job I can get for now is not much... Will grad school make any difference (for my future career and my personal projects)? What else can I expected from grad school? 

One of my tutor didn't go to grad school and think it's not necessary to go to grad school to become an artist. But my all other tutors have attended the grad program. I'm wondering if your guys can give me some suggestions?

3 hours ago, Amiaaa said:

First congratulations for everyone!

Some info about my application: I have been rejected by some schools, got interviewed by CalArts and SAIC. The only offer I got now is from SAIC but without scholarships. No heard from UCLA and Columbia but I assume both rejection.

I really like SAIC but the tuition is too much for me... I'm thinking about either not go to grad schools for now and work for several years, or take the offer with student loans. Is it worth taking on a lot of debt to go to graduate school? I was graduated in 2020, and the salary of the job I can get for now is not much... Will grad school make any difference (for my future career and my personal projects)? What else can I expected from grad school? 

One of my tutor didn't go to grad school and think it's not necessary to go to grad school to become an artist. But my all other tutors have attended the grad program. I'm wondering if your guys can give me some suggestions?

I'm in a similar position and wondering the same thing. I've only been accepted to MICA (Multidisciplinary) which is really expensive. It just doesn't seem feasible to leave school with so much debt. I've talked to my art history professors, my partner, and friends who've gone to grad school who all agree that it's a huge risk to pay such a big price for grad school, especially when there are cheaper options available.

Basically I'm just hoping on of the two schools where I'm waitlisted, SFSU and University of Montana (both painting), will accept me because they're much cheaper. I'm trying to rationalize that it wouldn't be a big deal to just reapply next cycle but that is a disappointing prospect ?

1 hour ago, averach said:

congrats!I've been accepted to same program today, are you going for it?

Congrats to you too! I will visit ArtCenter and CCA in April, it’s impossible to decide until I see these campuses in person.

The $40k annual scholarship from CCA would be very hard to turn down...

12 minutes ago, thatdesigndude said:

Congrats to you too! I will visit ArtCenter and CCA in April, it’s impossible to decide until I see these campuses in person.

The $40k annual scholarship from CCA would be very hard to turn down...

wow that's quite attractive scholarship, tough decision for you to make. good luck for the visit!

Hi everyone. Congratulations to all accepted applicants!

By the way, I haven’t heard any thing yet from the most favorite school. But some schools admitted to me in Fall 2022. 
So, I am planning to apply again for the best school for me through going to other MFA school.  In other words, I need to go to MFA for three years. 

Are there some people thinking about that?? I think it is not worth for me to continue applying again in the my country…

And also I am an international student, so it will takes one year for getting used to live in the US by English. Therefore, my ideal is to live there for three years. Of course there is the money problem ??lol. 

On 3/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, lazuli. said:

Just got into Bard and Columbia MFA, both painting. Super nervous about it as I'm coming from abroad and haven't visited the campuses physically.

Any intel greatly appreciated!! 

:) 

I did visual arts undergrad at columbia and I’m currently at hunter & bard MFA . Bard hasn’t been amazing lately but I think it will be really good this summer. Columbia is a very very diff vibe than bard so just depends what you are looking for. On a $ note —I’m doing hunter and bard for less than the cost of one year at columbia MFA so it is a very pricey school.

1 hour ago, Googlyeyes said:

I did visual arts undergrad at columbia and I’m currently at hunter & bard MFA . Bard hasn’t been amazing lately but I think it will be really good this summer. Columbia is a very very diff vibe than bard so just depends what you are looking for. On a $ note —I’m doing hunter and bard for less than the cost of one year at columbia MFA so it is a very pricey school.

Do you know have some of the issues with studio space and access to faculty that were in the news in 2018 at Columbia been rectified or are there still problems there?