2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

28 minutes ago, ShowroomDummy said:

Finally I learnt how to quote people hah. Still struggling with UTA's decision, still no acceptance/rejection/waitlist/update on portal/email...Should I contact them?

I would - I received an email informing me about a change on the portal and there was the rejection. The fact that you haven’t received said automated email might actually be a good sign. I would politely ask when you can expect a decision - maybe not mention people on GradCafe celebrating or bawling their eyes out already ?

59 minutes ago, EstherBritoAbrio said:

Congrats! Are you also in Comparative Politics? I applied as well (different subfield), but Im afraid no email yet

Yes! got the same email with the Comparative chair cc'ed, so I think they are doing it by subfield. Good luck, this week is being so long

Anybody here claiming one of those acceptances or waitlists for Minnesota? Or how about the solo acceptances posted for UGA or UConn? I just find it a bit sus that for these two schools, there has only been one acceptance claimed for each campus.

23 minutes ago, honeymoow said:

I don't think I've ever experienced time moving so slowly before!

26 minutes ago, nevernottryingtounderstand said:

I would - I received an email informing me about a change on the portal and there was the rejection. The fact that you haven’t received said automated email might actually be a good sign. I would politely ask when you can expect a decision - maybe not mention people on GradCafe celebrating or bawling their eyes out already ?

Thank you for your advice! I just sent an email to them. Of course not mentioning my repeatedly checking on gradcafe with all these anxiety?

@modesteffect I think the thing about anxiety is not that it is necessary or not. Anxiety just happens to you as you try everything you can to calm down. 

Anyway, UCSD just started releasing, but I guess only the polisci-GPS PhD program for now. Technically the last week of Jan is next Monday, but can we please not wait for another weekend for this???? 

28 minutes ago, hawnsay said:

Anybody here claiming one of those acceptances or waitlists for Minnesota? Or how about the solo acceptances posted for UGA or UConn? I just find it a bit sus that for these two schools, there has only been one acceptance claimed for each campus.

I believe UGA has sent out acceptances on multiple dates last year so maybe they are just not there yet. At least that‘s what I‘m hoping… 

1 minute ago, nevernottryingtounderstand said:

I believe UGA has sent out acceptances on multiple dates last year so maybe they are just not there yet. At least that‘s what I‘m hoping… 

Yeah same here.  Fingers crossed.  I've just read horror stores on Reddit of ppl that went through past admissions cycles with posts claiming admissions and then when some went by without an update for them, they reached out to the dept only to be advised that NO results had gone out yet.

4 minutes ago, nevernottryingtounderstand said:

Yeah - I went through all the pages of last years admission status updates and especially for UGA, there have been admissions claimed over a span of almost 2 months. - unlike Emory for example who seem to be spamming hundreds of emails in one day and are done with it. 

8 minutes ago, sswimky said:

Nope, I haven't heard. Maybe it's the beginning of the rejections though, UCSD started sending out decisions like Feb 3rd last year 

UCSD started around Jan.28 last year, 11:05am to be precise, according to my friend who got in last year. 

2 minutes ago, smallcrown said:

Yeah - I went through all the pages of last years admission status updates and especially for UGA, there have been admissions claimed over a span of almost 2 months. - unlike Emory for example who seem to be spamming hundreds of emails in one day and are done with it. 

Thanks for checking.  Not a fan of these slow leaks when it comes to admissions.  Let's just pull the band-aid off and let everybody know at once.

1 minute ago, hawnsay said:

Thanks for checking.  Not a fan of these slow leaks when it comes to admissions.  Let's just pull the band-aid off and let everybody know at once.

Exactly. There should just be a deadline and all schools send out emails on that day at noon.

2 minutes ago, zoooxu said:

UCSD started around Jan.28 last year, 11:05am to be precise, according to my friend who got in last year. 

Oh man, okay. I was looking at this site: https://martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/ 

It's great actually, but idk how accurate it is, if anyone has experiences other than the ones on here pls share!!

Just now, smallcrown said:

Exactly. There should just be a deadline and all schools send out emails on that day at noon.

LMFAO idk if I'd go that far haha I don't think my heart could handle all the results at once.

Just now, sswimky said:

Oh man, okay. I was looking at this site: https://martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/ 

It's great actually, but idk how accurate it is, if anyone has experiences other than the ones on here pls share!!

Haha that website only includes results ≤2020, not the 2021 cycle. We are the 2022 cycle as in decisions come out in 2022. 

Just now, sswimky said:

I compared that database with the 'survey' page on gradcafe and they have different data sets. Martin might have used previous years' application threads instead of the 'survey' page that I checked. I wouldn't expect any kind of accuracy from any of those sources because not everyone is stupid enough to check gradcafe multiple times a day - but it gives a good indication I think. 

1 minute ago, smallcrown said:

I compared that database with the 'survey' page on gradcafe and they have different data sets. Martin might have used previous years' application threads instead of the 'survey' page that I checked. I wouldn't expect any kind of accuracy from any of those sources because not everyone is stupid enough to check gradcafe multiple times a day - but it gives a good indication I think. 

Lmao I guess it’s just us. The UTA thing even made me wonder if I gave them a wrong email address 

Just now, ShowroomDummy said:

Lmao I guess it’s just us. The UTA thing even made me wonder if I gave them a wrong email address 

that sure would be a fun story to tell your kids.

"back in 2022, when we were still using emails instead of the communications implant, I even gave one school the wrong email and that kids is why I never got my PhD...."

12 minutes ago, smallcrown said:

Could you perhaps point me in the direction of the 'survey' page? (I'm new here lol)

8 minutes ago, sswimky said:

Could you perhaps point me in the direction of the 'survey' page? (I'm new here lol)

Sure. This is the one I was talking about. Not sure it's called survey page - that's just what the url is.

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?program=Political+Science

5 minutes ago, modesteffect said:

Refrain yourself from refreshing the portals guys. Results without email first are always rejections! 

Is that an actual fact? Like if an institution emails you there has been a status update and to go check portal, is it most definitely a rejection? I have always wondered.