2021-2022 Application Thread

Theory007

To anyone with a UVA offer, what does your funding package look like? Did they mention how many spots they have this year? I'm not an applicant this cycle but am planning on applying time time and it's a program that interests me. 

3 minutes ago, QajCR99 said:

To anyone with a UVA offer, what does your funding package look like? Did they mention how many spots they have this year? I'm not an applicant this cycle but am planning on applying time time and it's a program that interests me. 

They didn't say anything about the class size and its the same as the standard funding package they list on their website. https://politics.virginia.edu/graduate-admissions-and-financial-aid

15 minutes ago, QajCR99 said:

I saw on their website that they were looking at a class of 10: https://politics.virginia.edu/graduate-admissions-and-financial-aid

Edited by Quriosity
Added source

Just now, Quriosity said:

I saw on their website that they were looking at a class of 10

I think that means what they project the entering class to be rather than the offers they give. They probably give out more than 10.

2 hours ago, phdhell said:

Hey! Anyone think we'll hear from any of the UC schools tonight...or is it too late?

I’m in the EST time zone, so I don’t give up hope until 8 pm (5 California time)

To anyone who would know, why would results get gradually released? I see both acceptances and rejections from UVA but I have not received a decision.

Are admissions committees making the easy choices (ie obvious accepts and rejects) first? From an outside perspective it seems like a needlessly limiting way to go about this process. What's the rationale there?

(And it bears repeating: rejections aren't a sign of your quality as an academic, but instead often result from the whims of an admissions committee. I don't mean to disparage anyone by calling them an obvious reject.)

4 minutes ago, probably.chris said:

To anyone who would know, why would results get gradually released? I see both acceptances and rejections from UVA but I have not received a decision.

Are admissions committees making the easy choices (ie obvious accepts and rejects) first? From an outside perspective it seems like a needlessly limiting way to go about this process. What's the rationale there?

(And it bears repeating: rejections aren't a sign of your quality as an academic, but instead often result from the whims of an admissions committee. I don't mean to disparage anyone by calling them an obvious reject.)

Huh yeah I am IR, and other people doing theory and comparative have heard back so it doesn't seem like its by subfield. I think most adcomms questions are a lot like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop...the world may never know.

11 minutes ago, jjiffy said:

Huh yeah I am IR, and other people doing theory and comparative have heard back so it doesn't seem like its by subfield. I think most adcomms questions are a lot like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop...the world may never know.

Very true. Though, looking back through the list it seems I was mistaken--no one's posted any rejections. So it seems likely to me now that they've posted acceptances today and will post rejections later this week.

In any event, congratulations on the acceptance!

12 minutes ago, probably.chris said:

Very true. Though, looking back through the list it seems I was mistaken--no one's posted any rejections. So it seems likely to me now that they've posted acceptances today and will post rejections later this week.

In any event, congratulations on the acceptance!

That's kind of what I'm expecting at this point, but it is also possible they are doing it by subfield? I'm American politics, and I only saw theory, IR, and comparative. Sooooo holding out some hope?

1 minute ago, Avocado_town said:

Claiming another University of Virginia acceptance here. Political theory subfield. 

Congrats to all those accepted and don't lose faith if it wasn't your case!

Congrats! I still haven't heard about anything other than one rej. Seems things moving toward my epectation: all rejs lol

10 minutes ago, Quriosity said:

That's kind of what I'm expecting at this point, but it is also possible they are doing it by subfield? I'm American politics, and I only saw theory, IR, and comparative. Sooooo holding out some hope?

I'm actually only seeing theory and comparative -- the other student was international, but not IR (I think?). I got waitlisted last year and talked significantly with professors I would have worked with, so I'm still holding out hope here. For those that just posted (Avocado Town, looking at you! lol), what time did you get your email to check the portal? 

GAH i hate this so much. This is my third cycle and the one where I feel the most prepared for sure, but still, it's the worst. 

2 minutes ago, kmccorm2 said:

I'm actually only seeing theory and comparative -- the other student was international, but not IR (I think?). I got waitlisted last year and talked significantly with professors I would have worked with, so I'm still holding out hope here. For those that just posted (Avocado Town, looking at you! lol), what time did you get your email to check the portal? 

GAH i hate this so much. This is my third cycle and the one where I feel the most prepared for sure, but still, it's the worst. 

I received the email at 7:49pm in Chile, which is 5:49pm in Virginia. 

I don't know how many universities you have applied to, but I hope you get some good news soon!

30 minutes ago, kmccorm2 said:

I am IR at UVA and I got accepted. 

Hi folks! 

Long time lurker, first time poster. Got rejected from UW-Madison this morning which was a bummer because I interviewed with them two weeks ago (+was very interactive with their fall research seminars, met with faculty in the department). I was one of the waitlists for UMinnesota last week, and I got an acceptance to UAlbany with full funding last Friday, so overall it doesn't sting as much as I thought it would. 

Still waiting to hear back from 8 other programs. Good luck to everyone and fingers crossed for good news coming your way!

For any UVA admits, what was the deadline given to make a decision on the offer? I was waitlisted and it's my only non-rejection so far, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to afford waiting to hear back or if I need to look at getting a job.

25 minutes ago, hyccup said:

For any UVA admits, what was the deadline given to make a decision on the offer? I was waitlisted and it's my only non-rejection so far, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to afford waiting to hear back or if I need to look at getting a job.

The letter says that since UVa is a member of the Council of Graduate Schools, they don't require applicants to accept offers before April 15th. They cite this resolution: https://cgsnet.org/april-15-resolution

They also say that the offer may be withdrawn on April 15th.

Edited by Avocado_town

Can someone please help me decide what to do? I indicated on my phd application that I am applying to the dual jd/phd program, but i am not ready to take the lsat so I withdrew my registration and won't be applying to the law school anymore. Should i reach out to the phd admissions and let them know? Is it going to hurt my chances?