2022 Fall Application: Chat, Share and Support One Another

CinnamonCream

I feel the same way as you @Klutch 2381. The reviewing process sucks. The system often fails to recognize the real potential candidates. Just look at the requirements,strong LOR, high GRE (expensive)application fee. Sociology focuses on social inequalities, but recruiting its scholars demands competitive social and economic capitals. Maybe it is trapped in its pathetic bureaucracy.

On 1/28/2022 at 7:53 PM, Klutch2381 said:

I think you’re referencing Santa Barbara and we’re referencing Cal Berkeley. Sorry about the rejection from UCSB. Have you gotten an acceptance or interview yet? 

LOL, My bad. I just got the offer from OSU anthropology. And two rejection from WUSTL sociology and UCSB sociology. Nothing updates from other sociology programs. 

On 1/28/2022 at 7:39 PM, Fatkiller said:

Nothing from Madison or Michigan at all. As for NYU, all I know and can say is that they already started reviewing materials and that *perhaps* they started reviewing materials as soon as applicants submitted the applications regardless of the deadline. So, if you submit your applications far earlier than the deadline and haven't received any news, I would regard this as a good sign because it might suggest that you could be in a short list. However, since they haven't sent any rejections, I would wait a bit longer. 

I think I submit the application at the early December. I probably need to wait two more weeks to see what will happen.

20 hours ago, FlyingJen said:

no invitation from cuny either. Thought it was a good fit, emailed a professor in November. I take this as an approaching rejection. Upset

I got the interview from CUNY this afternoon! It seems like they're not sending invites all at once (it's the student representative who are sending so it makes sense), so yours might also be on the way! Good luck! 

Hi guys, wonder if anyone can help me make sense of something which is driving me crazy. 

A professor from a high profile sociology program (which doesn't use interviews as part of it's process) reached out to me for several conversations, and sort of excitedly told me that he will be 'nominating' me for admission (to the part of the course over which he primarily presides). That program generally sends out acceptances in the next few weeks, and I am stuck in a horrible limbo between tempering my expectations and getting carried away with thoughts about being in the program. 

Can anyone tell me, what does the weight of a 'nomination' from a Professor mean to the adcom? (The professor is on, or at least involved with, the adcom too). 

8 minutes ago, Blane said:

Hi guys, wonder if anyone can help me make sense of something which is driving me crazy. 

A professor from a high profile sociology program (which doesn't use interviews as part of it's process) reached out to me for several conversations, and sort of excitedly told me that he will be 'nominating' me for admission (to the part of the course over which he primarily presides). That program generally sends out acceptances in the next few weeks, and I am stuck in a horrible limbo between tempering my expectations and getting carried away with thoughts about being in the program. 

Can anyone tell me, what does the weight of a 'nomination' from a Professor mean to the adcom? (The professor is on, or at least involved with, the adcom too). 

I'm in the same position at a University that already sent some acceptances, so...

Edited by cbmalv

7 minutes ago, cbmalv said:

I'm in the same position at a University that already sent some acceptances, so...

Yeesh, that must be tense. The Prof said they were nominating you? Are those admissions coming out in drips and drabs, or all at once?

2 minutes ago, cbmalv said:

The prof said that a note of "enthusiasm" regarding working with me was going to be added to my file

I see. Similar enough situation to mine then, though no decisions have been released nor any reports of interviews etc. Fingers crossed for us both!

4 hours ago, anxiousapplicat said:

I've a feeling I won't make it, but still eagerly awaiting U of T's decision (going by historical trends, it should be out today)!

I feel like UofT is gonna send out decisions this Thursday. Historically it was usually the last Friday of January. 

oh. my. lord. everyone. hello!

i have been trying to create an account since last wednesday to comment on this thread to no avail. anyway, greetings! i received my acceptance from the university of iowa's sociology phd program last wednesday (on my birthday)! super exciting!

other than iowa's acceptance (and washu's rejection), i've been kind of in the dark. i didn't set my standards very high, so i didn't apply to many places. i'm applying straight from undergrad. didn't take the gre. no significant research experiences. 'twas a doozy. meh, anyway.

has anyone heard anything from bu, arizona, cornell, or virginia? i contacted maryland, and received an email back that said: "The committee is currently reviewing the applications, yours is in the review. Decisions will be going out in the next couple of weeks." however, i already saw they sent out some acceptances, so my hopes are slightly low, lmao. just wanted to come on here and ask!

Hi, I'm a bit confused with UT's situation. I see some of you are eagerly waiting for the department's decisions, just like me, but didn't they send their acceptances on Jan 27th? I saw four different people reporting their acceptances. I lost hope after I saw them, but reading your comments makes me think that either more people will be accepted or that those reports weren't correct.

Edit: spelling

Edited by socprospect

16 minutes ago, socprospect said:

Hi, I'm a bit confused with UT's situation. I see some of you are eagerly waiting for the department's decisions, just like me, but didn't they send their acceptances on Jan 27th? I saw four different people reporting their acceptances. I lost hope after I saw them, but reading your comments makes me think that either more people will be accepted or that those reports weren't correct.

Edit: spelling

We are actually referring to 2 "UT". UT is University of Texas at Austin, and U of T is University of Toronto. UT Austin sent out some acceptances but no rejections yet. University of Toronto has no news at all at this time. 

Just now, ahwithsoc said:

We are actually referring to 2 "UT". UT is University of Texas at Austin, and U of T is University of Toronto. UT Austin sent out some acceptances but no rejections yet. University of Toronto has no news at all at this time. 

Oh, sorry. I'm an international applicant and got confused with the abbreviations–thanks for the clarification.

I assumed programs sent all their acceptances within the same day, I guess this isn't the case.

15 hours ago, imtiredlmao said:

oh. my. lord. everyone. hello!

i have been trying to create an account since last wednesday to comment on this thread to no avail. anyway, greetings! i received my acceptance from the university of iowa's sociology phd program last wednesday (on my birthday)! super exciting!

I had this problem too! If there's anyone else out there wanting to participate, there's a bug if you try to sign up at the bottom of the forum page. Instead, you want to create an account on the main GradCafe page (https://www.thegradcafe.com/signup/), then use your account to sign into the forum.

On 1/30/2022 at 4:19 AM, Klutch2381 said:

Like, how can I bring you the entirety of my life and circumstance, and you’re like, “Naw bruh, but here’s a system generated rejection for your toil that says we hope you can continue your studies elsewhere,”? Moreover, literally everyone I let read my personal statement(s) shed tears. Even one of my professors told me I’m going to be famous after she read it. 

Don't get me wrong (not here to say something in a bad way), but I think this is also a problematic approach to the admission process. You are absolutely right that there is an element of rubbish chance, and more importantly, some people have strong cultural and economic capital, particularly from their parents, and some don't (like me). 

That being said, an admission committee should not decide based on your life story or your particular attributes. An admission committee should look into your research statement, the relative fit of your statement to the faculty, and the degree to which you understand how a research is conducted.

I do think that this is not happening in the admission processes right now, and I believe that it is quite problematic.

Just an opinion, please feel free to chime in and we'll have a nice discussion!

Florida State has started planning visitation weekend. I’d guess if you’ve not been accepted by now you’re at best on the waitlist. 

I feel like I'm in limbo here. Heard back from a few places, but then don't expect to hear from others (like NYU) for another week or two. And yet I keep refreshing my email.

I really wish I knew Berkeley's timeline this year. Two years ago, it was end of January. Then last year, the joint program with demography was Feb 20 or so. So far away!

Edited by ebc658