SSHRC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022-2023

Mrazy

3 hours ago, CairoGirl said:

FYI all. I got my results. They did NOT announce them to me via any kind of email. Rather, last week I figured it would be wise to check into my extranet from last year, and it took a few days to reset my password. Then I logged on right now thinking I would find nothing and guess what? They were uploaded on February 24!!! Also I did not make it. WTAF. 

I second that SSHRC's system is abysmal and the process is extremely opaque. Postdocs in the US at least give me excellent feedback. 

Good luck all of you! 

I'm sorry you got bad news :( I hope something else happens for you. Sending good vibes! Also - the lack of feedback is so frustrating. I understand the committees have a handful of people, and there are give or take 60-100 applications for them to go through, but the lack of transparency for scores limits how we can improve. 

Hello! I've been following this thread for the past week. I just wanted to say good luck to those who have yet to receive their results! 

I have not received my results, nor have I received any email with instructions for extranet (this is my first time applying for a postdoc). Have any other first-time applicants yet to receive that email?

2 minutes ago, billyj said:

Hello! I've been following this thread for the past week. I just wanted to say good luck to those who have yet to receive their results! 

I have not received my results, nor have I received any email with instructions for extranet (this is my first time applying for a postdoc). Have any other first-time applicants yet to receive that email?

Same here: first-time applicant and haven't received any email with extranet instructions.

3 minutes ago, billyj said:

I have not received my instructions for extranet either ?. They are making this process so drawn out and brutal! So many of us have been so distracted for almost 2 weeks now...

5 minutes ago, Levet said:

Same here: first-time applicant and haven't received any email with extranet instructions.

4 minutes ago, Hopingforthebest2022 said:

I have not received my instructions for extranet either ?. They are making this process so drawn out and brutal! So many of us have been so distracted for almost 2 weeks now...

Agreed! Hopefully they at least send us the extranet instructions soon so that we have something else to check.

5 hours ago, CairoGirl said:

FYI all. I got my results. They did NOT announce them to me via any kind of email. Rather, last week I figured it would be wise to check into my extranet from last year, and it took a few days to reset my password. Then I logged on right now thinking I would find nothing and guess what? They were uploaded on February 24!!! Also I did not make it. WTAF. 

I second that SSHRC's system is abysmal and the process is extremely opaque. Postdocs in the US at least give me excellent feedback. 

Good luck all of you! 

Any chance you're looking at last year's results? I can see my 2021 results in extranet which were released on the 24th last year but not my 2022 results... 

Seeing that everyone is having vastly different experiences, I'm just adding that when I log into my extranet account I see last year's results, a message that says "Your documents will be displayed below shortly. You will be notified once they are available." and a second line that says "To upload your document please click here to access your personal folder."

I did receive the e-mail saying that results were being released this week and that they would send info about accessing my extranet account, even though I already have one. Maybe they're having technical problems. 

Edited by PeaDev
More info

I can access my Extranet from my Doc application last year, but nothing in it, not even old results. I also haven't received any of the email updates about "the week of Feb 28", etc.

@Svaaron, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to email them  (if you haven't already done so) to make sure they have your correct email address?

7 minutes ago, HeatherCT said:

I can access my Extranet from my Doc application last year, but nothing in it, not even old results. I also haven't received any of the email updates about "the week of Feb 28", etc.

@Svaaron, I wonder if it would be worthwhile to email them  (if you haven't already done so) to make sure they have your correct email address?

I received the Application Acknowledgement when I submitted the Postdoc app, so I'm pretty sure they have the correct email. Sounds like they've been having all kinds of technical issues, though.

10 minutes ago, Svaaron said:

I received the Application Acknowledgement when I submitted the Postdoc app, so I'm pretty sure they have the correct email. Sounds like they've been having all kinds of technical issues, though.

For what it's worth, profs have taken to pressuring SSHRC on Twitter in solidarity with the post-doctoral applicants they are hearing from. 

SSHRC responded to an initial inquiry as to the dates like so: "Postdoc: Applicants will receive access to the SSHRC Extranet for applicants shortly. All decision documents will be shared through this portal." When pressed on a definition of 'shortly', they specified (today, 1 hour ago, also on Twitter) that "By shortly we mean within a week."

I'm so tired of this waiting game!!!!

2 minutes ago, academicfornow said:

When pressed on a definition of 'shortly', they specified (today, 1 hour ago, also on Twitter) that "By shortly we mean within a week."

A week from today?!? >.<

1 minute ago, Mrazy said:

A week from today?!? >.<

The tweet is from yesterday and I wouldn't assume that SSHRC's twitter person knows exactly when the results will be released. Perhaps we should e-mail them and ask for an update (I am also frustrated and tired of waiting, if there has been a change they need to e-mail everyone and not just reply to one person via twitter). 

5 minutes ago, academicfornow said:

For what it's worth, profs have taken to pressuring SSHRC on Twitter in solidarity with the post-doctoral applicants they are hearing from. 

SSHRC responded to an initial inquiry as to the dates like so: "Postdoc: Applicants will receive access to the SSHRC Extranet for applicants shortly. All decision documents will be shared through this portal." When pressed on a definition of 'shortly', they specified (today, 1 hour ago, also on Twitter) that "By shortly we mean within a week."

...are you kidding me. That is so cruel. What is WRONG with these people? It's moments like these when I wonder why I'm bothering with a postdoc at all when it's so much stress and effort for $45k before taxes and I could be making so much more outside of academia. They say their funding is intended to attract top talent and then they underpay us and can't even give us the decency of knowing an exact date when we'll get results (n.b. I'm not saying I'm among this 'top talent' lol it's just one of their favourite slogans). And they only award 20% of applicants this pittance and so whoever is fortunate enough to be funded is expected to feel so grateful and hashtag blessed. Over it.

3 minutes ago, PeaDev said:

The tweet is from yesterday and I wouldn't assume that SSHRC's twitter person knows exactly when the results will be released. Perhaps we should e-mail them and ask for an update (I am also frustrated and tired of waiting, if there has been a change they need to e-mail everyone and not just reply to one person via twitter). 

Yes, this is getting ridiculous! I am sympathetic toward some delay because I understand there were a lot of different people involved, most are working from home, tech challenges, etc. but come on!!! We at least deserve an update with an actual date at this point, especially if the results aren't actually coming this week. 

1 minute ago, HeatherCT said:

Yes, this is getting ridiculous! I am sympathetic toward some delay because I understand there were a lot of different people involved, most are working from home, tech challenges, etc. but come on!!! We at least deserve an update with an actual date at this point, especially if the results aren't actually coming this week. 

It's so odd too that we're into the third year of COVID-19 and so of course some delay is understandable but after two previous cycles of moving this process online and adapting to the pandemic you'd think they would have it figured out. SSHRC was created in like the 1970s, surely by now they have some idea of how to do the same job they do every single year and get out peoples' results...? Hearing how some people's accounts have results, others have none, others have results from last year, it seems like it's just a mess behind the scenes. I know I'm being so salty right now but it's not just for me, I have a lot of friends and also you folks here who have staked a lot on this and have had two weeks now of anxiety and it's so frustrating. And they're such an opaque organization it's not clear to whom these concerns should be addressed or how to remedy any of this.

8 minutes ago, HeatherCT said:

I sent them an e-mail politely suggesting that they communicate any changes to the release of results to everyone via e-mail. Hopefully we have our relief soon.

I'm in solidarity with you all - it's a silly thing but I keep reaching the max of how many likes I can give out a day haha. It's at about 1 or 2 now a day before the message 'sorry, you can't add any more reactions today' pops up. So even if I don't like a post, I'm reading each one and appreciate going through this process with everyone here. 

30 minutes ago, PeaDev said:

I sent them an e-mail politely suggesting that they communicate any changes to the release of results to everyone via e-mail. Hopefully we have our relief soon.

Thank you for doing this. Please let us know the response. I'll send one today, too. 

2 hours ago, PeaDev said:

Any chance you're looking at last year's results? I can see my 2021 results in extranet which were released on the 24th last year but not my 2022 results... 

Seeing that everyone is having vastly different experiences, I'm just adding that when I log into my extranet account I see last year's results, a message that says "Your documents will be displayed below shortly. You will be notified once they are available." and a second line that says "To upload your document please click here to access your personal folder."

I did receive the e-mail saying that results were being released this week and that they would send info about accessing my extranet account, even though I already have one. Maybe they're having technical problems. 

That's exactly what my Extranet shows as well, except showing my results from my SSHRC doctoral app/results in 2020. Assuming my new results will show up in the same place but who knows!?!?

A new update on Twitter from SSHRC in response to the person who asked if the expectation that we'll receive our results the week of February 28th has changed:

"We are working on it, your email should arrive soon."

And then someone asked if they could give some sort of guidelines on what 'soon' means in this case.

Edited by lilmiss90

3 minutes ago, Hattt said:

Any other applicants’ extranet not letting them log in? I applied last year so I have an account. I reset my password and when I log in, I get a weird “access denied” page…

Hopefully this means that they're uploading results? 

On another note, y'all weren't kidding. This certainly takes the cake for the most opaque series of responses. Shortly = within a week --> soon = ?????

image.png.978368214b8a1824de5bccf72e943c3d.png

Edited by whiterabbit

4 minutes ago, Hattt said:

Any other applicants’ extranet not letting them log in? I applied last year so I have an account. I reset my password and when I log in, I get a weird “access denied” page…

Interesting...maybe as whiterabbit said that's a good sign?

1 minute ago, whiterabbit said:

Hopefully this means that they're uploading results? 

On another note, y'all weren't kidding. This certainly takes the cake for the most opaque series of responses. Shortly = within a week --> soon = ?????

image.png.978368214b8a1824de5bccf72e943c3d.png

Lol this exchange sent me. I feel like we have a very different definition of 'soon' than SSHRC.