2022 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

fred2000

11 hours ago, dec said:

Yea UCSD BISB interview is Jan 21. I heard they only have enough funding to support 2 internationals this year (not super sure about this but that's what I heard).

Well, I have talked with a lot of grad students here at UCSD, haha, maybe they just didn't want to crush my dream right away :( 

If anyone here has applied to MSc/ PhD Bioinformatics in UBC (University of British Columbia), any idea when they send the admission decision?

Edited by Abhro1997

1 hour ago, tokyoboy101 said:

Yeah, I believe interview invites were sent last week. You can check on the results page: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

Just saw it. Thank you! 

Really disappointed that I did not hear anything from BU - I thought I had a chance here. 

Hello, 

I have not heard back from USC and Stanford. I am schedule for an interview with Feinberg Northwestern. Any thoughts, comments, or anyone who is willing to get together to practice for the interview? Thanks

Also, does anyone know if we would still get a chance for an interview for USC if we haven't gotten one during the first round?

Edited by sanaz gh

Hello everyone,

I want to inquire about the application for bioinformatics phd. Any advice or comments is highly appreciated!

my background:

I got my bachelor  degree in Biological Pharmacy in China, and my undergraduate GPA was really low, only 3.28.... I did many public health and pharmacy research and got some awards in public health domain. (I know my gpa is too low...

I am a first-year master student in WashU med school, my major is biostatistics (actually the program  length is only 18 months). I got all A/A+ in all courses until now. I have worked as a RA in a bioinfor lab since my program started. My major project is benchmarking and PI told me there would be a paper for my data (but will publish in late 2022). I also will get another chance to get a strong LOR from another washu professor.

my aim:

I plan to apply for bioinformatics/biomedical informatics PhD programs in US. Could anyone give me any advice like what kind of school I have high/medium/fair chance to be admitted? I am just really anxious and worrying recently because I certainly know my background is really weak.. Thanks again for your patience and advice!! 

This is my first time to post, so plz tell me if I post a wrong place

Hi! I am an international with no green card applying to bioinfo this around.

Unfortunately, it is extremely hard for international to get a PhD in bioinformatics in the States, since lost of bioinformatics programs receive training grants not available for internationals without permanent residence.

The first thing that I would say is try not apply to the bioinformatics programs that receive NIH/NLM training grants:
https://www.nigms.nih.gov/training/instpredoc/pages/PredocInst-Bioinformatics.aspx
U Arizona, UCSD, UCSF, Georgia Tech, JHU, BU, MIT,  Duke, UNC, Brown
Harvard BIG usually does not take many internationals as well. 
Penn GCB, Stanford Biomedical informatics are difficult for internationals as well.
Many Chinese people get in Yale computational biology and bioinformatics by getting China Scholarship Council - Yale World Scholars Program, but you have to be nominated by these 9 Chinese top universities.

Sometimes these schools have 1-2 positions supported by private foundations, and you can try the chances of winning lottery.

See. The top 20 are almost there.

My suggestions would be: try to establish connections within WashU and you might get a better shot there. 
Search for more programs that accept internationals and good luck.

Edited by Henry13579

4 hours ago, Henry13579 said:

Hi! I am an international with no green card applying to bioinfo this around.

Unfortunately, it is extremely hard for international to get a PhD in bioinformatics in the States, since lost of bioinformatics programs receive training grants not available for internationals without permanent residence.

The first thing that I would say is try not apply to the bioinformatics programs that receive NIH/NLM training grants:
https://www.nigms.nih.gov/training/instpredoc/pages/PredocInst-Bioinformatics.aspx
U Arizona, UCSD, UCSF, Georgia Tech, JHU, BU, MIT,  Duke, UNC, Brown
Harvard BIG usually does not take many internationals as well. 
Penn GCB, Stanford Biomedical informatics are difficult for internationals as well.
Many Chinese people get in Yale computational biology and bioinformatics by getting China Scholarship Council - Yale World Scholars Program, but you have to be nominated by these 9 Chinese top universities.

Sometimes these schools have 1-2 positions supported by private foundations, and you can try the chances of winning lottery.

See. The top 20 are almost there.

My suggestions would be: try to establish connections within WashU and you might get a better shot there. 
Search for more programs that accept internationals and good luck.

Very insightful and extremely helpful comments! I wish I could see this earlier, but luckily I do avoid some programs as they are famous for "not taking international students". I would add that grad school admission is pretty random (as I felt at this cycle), and what you can really do is to build connections from your current mentor. Try to inquire POI who has been working with your current mentor, or in any form of collaboration. That would probably help! 

I would also add some programs here: CBB at USC and Biomedical PhD at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Based on USC's website, they do take many Chinese students. The later, though titled as Biomedical, they have exciting training area like Genetics and Data Science, and they also have another new training area- AI and technology...Sth like that. And the school is expanding and taking lots of PhD students. I actually found it's a really great program when I went to their interview day. 

Plz correct me if I made some mistakes in my comments. For me, it's my first cycle and hope my comments help!

12 hours ago, Cheese_Black_Grape_Tea said:

Very insightful and extremely helpful comments! I wish I could see this earlier, but luckily I do avoid some programs as they are famous for "not taking international students". I would add that grad school admission is pretty random (as I felt at this cycle), and what you can really do is to build connections from your current mentor. Try to inquire POI who has been working with your current mentor, or in any form of collaboration. That would probably help! 

I would also add some programs here: CBB at USC and Biomedical PhD at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. Based on USC's website, they do take many Chinese students. The later, though titled as Biomedical, they have exciting training area like Genetics and Data Science, and they also have another new training area- AI and technology...Sth like that. And the school is expanding and taking lots of PhD students. I actually found it's a really great program when I went to their interview day. 

Plz correct me if I made some mistakes in my comments. For me, it's my first cycle and hope my comments help!

I've just done my sinai's interviews and really like people there, which is beyond my expectation! Beside their new AIET (Artificial intelligence & emerging technologies), there's also a new center for advanced genomics technology, called AGI or something. Anyone applying for PhD programs in genomics and neuroscience can keep an eye on Mount Sinai, it's def a great place for research and it's in Manhattan lol 

Hi, does anyone hear from CMU-Pitt program? I applied to PhD but did not receive any ac or rej or interview. I also applied to CMU CS PhD and also heard nothing from this program. Pretty strange, is there anybody in the same situation with me? Thanks.

P.S.: I got offer from UW CS PhD, which I believe is more difficult to get admission comparing with the programs I mentioned above. I used to interview with one PI of CMU before my application, who is in the committee. Thanks.