2022 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

fred2000

9 minutes ago, tokyoboy101 said:

Yeah they did. Although I can't afford to pay their tuition unless they give me a scholarship.

Ugh seems pretty generic to refer everyone they rejected to their master's program.. oh well, good luck everyone with the rest of the season. It's been really hard on me because I have not gotten even one single interview..

1 hour ago, scGrad said:

I also just got rejected from Tri-I and haven't heard back from any schools about interviews. Beginning to think that I should've applied to some more safeties.... 

Well, I think more than half of the programs (atleast on my list) still haven't sent out invitations so I think there's a lot that can still come out of this season. Don't assume anything until end of January. Just based on history on grad cafe, some first batch of invites are sent out in early February as well (eg. Georgetown). Keep you head up! 

On 12/17/2021 at 1:04 PM, dec said:
  • UC Santa Cruz BMEB, interview on Jan 20, 2022
  • UCSF BMI, Rejection on Dec 15, 2021
  • UC Berkeley Computational Biology
  • Stanford BMI
  • Harvard BIG
  • UCLA Bioinformatics
  • UCSD Bioinformatics
  • MIT CSB
  • MIT HST MEMP
  • USC QCB

? my list is still dead silent since mid Dec. I've been very anxious since Dec last year. I guess I'm definitely out of luck on Stanford BMI. Also saw ppl got interviews from UCLA and UCSD before the break. I guess I'm running out of luck on those two too. But still glad that at least I got one interview.

Congrats everyone who got interviews from their dream programs!!! 

However, those who's on the same boat with me, let's don't get our hopes down! There's still a whole month (or maybe more than that) to go!!!! Hope we all can get something in the next 30 days!!! ?

1 hour ago, med_school_notforme said:

Has anyone head back from UCSD or UCLA? I've come across some applicants who have already heard back from UCLA. A little anxious now, any information is appreciated ?

I think but am not sure that UCLA genetics track came out, but not yet for other tracks. I applied for bioinformatics as well at UCLA and UCSD and haven't heard back yet. Let's give it a bit more time! and wish you the best luck!!!

1 hour ago, med_school_notforme said:

Has anyone head back from UCSD or UCLA? I've come across some applicants who have already heard back from UCLA. A little anxious now, any information is appreciated ?

Haven't heard back from UCLA. I applied to medical informatics program. Not sure if it is a track under bioinformatics or a separate program.?

1 minute ago, please_admit_me said:

So, it says that all decisions, not interviews, will be determined by third week of January. If you are not invited for interviews (I didn't get one), I assume that there will only be rejection letters?

They always have interviews and they planned interviews in February (11 and 18). Wondering has anyone received an invitation?

14 hours ago, med_school_notforme said:

They already sent the first batch of interviews. Historically they send either rejections or the second batch of invitations during the first weeks of January, so let's wait. I didn't hear from them on the first batch, but haven't received a rejection so I still have hopes. 

I just found that some MIT Biology invitations are out, but CSB is very close program. I am wondering, has anyone else received the letter with this or an invitation: I am reaching out to share that all MIT CSB Application Decisions will be communicated via email by the committee the third week of January at the latest”. 

I was so relaxed, but now I’m really anxious. It sounds like a prolonged reject. 

50 minutes ago, a_sci_girl said:

I just found that some MIT Biology invitations are out, but CSB is very close program. I am wondering, has anyone else received the letter with this or an invitation: I am reaching out to share that all MIT CSB Application Decisions will be communicated via email by the committee the third week of January at the latest”. 

I was so relaxed, but now I’m really anxious. It sounds like a prolonged reject. 

Yeah, I got the same email and I don't know what this means. At the end of the email it says: "P.S. All Applications are closed and under review"

I guess they just meant to convey rejections and interviews together in a couple weeks since they haven't finished reviewing. But again, I'm trying to be optimistic here. 

Programs:

• Duke UPGG: Denied interview
  • Georgia Tech Quantitative Biosciences : Accepted!
  • UT Austin EEB: 
  • Duke-NUS QBM:

Applied to a bunch of other physics/biophysics programs, Georgia Tech was one of my top choices though so I am pretty happy.

Good luck everyone!

Hi guys.

Just heard from Bioinformatics@UCLA. Unfortunately they claimed they have sent all invitations, which I didn't get. They said I am put on the waiting list but I think it is a soft rejection since no official rejections have been heard from them according to my knowledge.

Hope the information helps and wish you a nice week to come.

2 hours ago, DignoMor said:

Hi guys.

Just heard from Bioinformatics@UCLA. Unfortunately they claimed they have sent all invitations, which I didn't get. They said I am put on the waiting list but I think it is a soft rejection since no official rejections have been heard from them according to my knowledge.

Hope the information helps and wish you a nice week to come.

I go this email:

Dear Applicant, 

Thank you for applying to UCLA’s PhD Bioinformatics IDP Program.

At this time, all interview invitations have been sent out.

If you have not received one, then you have been placed on our waitlist until further notice.

If a future interview is given to you, then you will receive an email, otherwise a deny of admissions from UCLA Graduate Division.

Please keep an eye out on your email or continue to check your status on the UCLA Graduate Admissions Website.

Best to you,

Bioinformatics IDP Student Affairs Officer

It's the exact same generic email that I got 2 yrs ago (I applied 2 yrs ago and got rejected) bummer :( 

1 hour ago, dec said:

I go this email:

Dear Applicant, 

Thank you for applying to UCLA’s PhD Bioinformatics IDP Program.

At this time, all interview invitations have been sent out.

If you have not received one, then you have been placed on our waitlist until further notice.

If a future interview is given to you, then you will receive an email, otherwise a deny of admissions from UCLA Graduate Division.

Please keep an eye out on your email or continue to check your status on the UCLA Graduate Admissions Website.

Best to you,

Bioinformatics IDP Student Affairs Officer

It's the exact same generic email that I got 2 yrs ago (I applied 2 yrs ago and got rejected) bummer :( 

I got exactly the same email. I was hoping this was a real wait-list, but now that I read the comments, yeah, sounds like a soft rejection, but I haven't lost hope yet :) Let's wait a little more.