2022 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

fred2000

Also wondering about Harvard BIG honestly. I asked a faculty member just after christmas and he had no idea about it either. I have heard from people on reddit that they're behind on their evaluations but not sure if they've sent out interviews already since GC doesn't have anything.

10 hours ago, GrapefruitGreenTea said:

For those who applied to the medical informatics at ucla. I asked the admission office of bioinfo program, and they said they haven’t heard back from medical informatics, so I think they have not sent out any invitation yet. ? Still some hopes. Good luck. 

Thats some good news for medical informatics applicants!!!

24 minutes ago, leopard said:

Did everyone hear from MIT CSB? I see some rejections & interviews in the results page but I didn't get anything :(

sadly I got rejected. Email:

Thank you for your application to the MIT Computational & Systems Biology Ph.D. Program. As a small interdepartmental program that admits 8-10 students a year, we have had a record number of 400 applications from highly qualified applicants this year like yourself. We regret that we are unable to offer you a place in our program at this time. 

We greatly appreciate your interest in our program and we wish you the best of luck in pursuing your education. Please note that we are unable to provide you with individual feedback on your application as the committee reviews of your application are confidential. Thank you for your time.

25 minutes ago, leopard said:

Did everyone hear from MIT CSB? I see some rejections & interviews in the results page but I didn't get anything :(

I think you still have hope if you haven't received the rejection email.

On 1/11/2022 at 1:19 AM, tacceptmeu said:

if you are talking about Penn’s GCB program they sent out invites before Christmas, and i’m also wondering about Havard BIG.

Hi, are they done sending the invites? I haven't received anything.

6 hours ago, zzl said:

Hi, are they done sending the invites? I haven't received anything.

Last year they have separate batches of interviews for domestic students and for international students. I saw international students get interview invites at the end of January last year, though they don't take many international students. So I guess if you are an international student like me, you can still keep hope.

1 minute ago, Cheese_Black_Grape_Tea said:

Last year they have separate batches of interviews for domestic students and for international students. I saw international students get interview invites at the end of January last year, though they don't take many international students. So I guess if you are an international student like me, you can still keep hope.

Thank you so much! maybe there's still hope. good luck with your application!

Hi folks, I am an international applicant, and I have received no interviews so far despite good recommendations and publications. Here's my update:

Columbia    System Biology (Soft rejection)

Princeton    Genomics & Computational Biology (Assume rejection)
Berkeley    Computational Biology (Assume rejection)
MIT    Computational & System Biology (Rejection)
Yale    Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (Assume rejection)
Duke    Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (Assume rejection)
Johns hopkins    Biomedical Engineering (Assume rejection)
Havard    B.I.G (Assume rejection)
U Mich    Pibs (Rejection)
UCLA    Bioinformatics in Bioscience (Rejection)
Tri    Computational Biology & Medicine (Rejection)
USC    Quantitative and Computational Biology
Brown    Computational Molecular Biology

At this point I think my application is going to tank and I am ready to resolve to explore other options rather than going for a phD.
Congrats to the folks who have gotten interviews, and sincerely wish you all the best in the upcoming journeys ahead. 

31 minutes ago, please_admit_me said:

Hi folks, I am an international applicant, and I have received no interviews so far despite good recommendations and publications. Here's my update:

At this point I think my application is going to tank and I am ready to resolve to explore other options rather than going for a phD.
Congrats to the folks who have gotten interviews, and sincerely wish you all the best in the upcoming journeys ahead. 

Keep your head up my friend. If it turns out you don't get admission this year, try again next year. I read a few stories on this site where people got no invites last year but got some this year.  If you don't get admission this year, here's some advice for next year:

1) Apply to some "safety" schools. Looking at the list of schools you applied to, these are top tier schools. That means that the competition for these schools is fierce. Do to a limited amount of space, a great many of greatly qualified applicants like yourself won't get in because there simply isn't enough room. By applying to a few schools that are not so top tier, you increase your chances of acceptance. Schools like University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, University of Pittsburgh, Michigan State University, and Iowa State University (just to name a few) all have good Biological Science programs that do good research (I don't know if they have computational biology tracks) - but not at the top of the pile. Also, I'd advise that you try looking at more US public schools (not in California - they are stingy). Public Schools - such as UNC - Chapel Hill, usually have more room for admissions than a private institution like MIT. Note that I am not advising that you apply ONLY to such schools. But that you include some of these schools when applying again - so that you increase your chances of admission.

2) Take another look at your Statements of Purpose letters and personal statements. You may need to brush those up a bit. If there are any negative things on your transcripts or your criminal background history (Yes, some of these institutions heavily vet each applicant), you might want to explain that in your personal statement. Also, have your former PI's and friends whom are well - read in the English language go over these letters with heavy scrutiny. I had several people review my letters before applying - with each of them giving me very helpful feedback, pointers, and suggestions - and English is my native language.

But keep your head up. You may very well get an invite this cycle. It's not over until its over.    

1 hour ago, please_admit_me said:

Hi, don't given up yet! I also haven't heard back yet from USC and Brown. I saw some people got invite but given my info from my friend in USC CBB program, they are likely got informal interview from PIs. Her PI told her the first round of interview will be online, and I don't know does this mean there is another round(or there isn't), and haven't got info on if they've sent out all invites. I've done my undergrad and master at USC, working with a PI in CBB(but not in committee and he's on the leave) for a year and half, but I haven't heard back from the program also. I'm the one who's deeply hurt yesterday :(

Also, haven't heard from Brown yet. I also got assume rejection from Duke and rejection from Tri-I. I feel you. Don't give up, let's still keep an eye on Brown and USC. Good luck!!!

4 hours ago, please_admit_me said:

I don't think Berkeley is out yet. I haven't discovered a single person posting their status. I haven't received anything from Berkeley and USC as well. There is still HOPE!!! 

Does anyone if these programs are done sending out invites? (international student if that matters)

- JHU - Computer Science (with focus on Computational Biology)
- CMU-UPitt CPCB 
- UPenn - GCB
- Stanford - Biomedical Informatics
- UC Berkeley - Computational Biology
- Brown - Computational Biology 
- NYU - Computational Biology 

- Yale CBB