2022 Computational Biology/Bioinformatics/Systems Biology PhD Admissions

fred2000

Hello everyone! I just discovered this forum today lol. Thinking about sharing some of my status here.

Programs I applied:

• UC Santa Cruz BMEB, interview on Jan 20, 2022
  • UCSF BMI, Rejection on Dec 15, 2021
  • UC Berkeley Computational Biology
  • Stanford BMI
  • Harvard BIG
  • UCLA Bioinformatics
  • UCSD Bioinformatics
  • MIT CSB
  • MIT HST MEMP
  • USC QCB

International student in the States. (Big RIP cuz a lot of programs don't hv much funding to admit international students)

Have been working in a research lab for 2 yrs after graduation.

Hey Guys just discovered this thread! I'm an international student from Switzerland. Here is my list and some status. 

1. Weill Cornell: Tri-I

2. Weill Cornell: PBSB

3. Yale CBB

4. Harvard: BIG

5. Harvard: SSQB

6. Columbia: Computational Biology, Bioinformatics and Systems Biology(no interviews, school reply: interview sent on rolling basis) 

7. Brown: Computational Biology

8. Princeton: Quantitative and Computational Biology(no interview probably rejected, emailed school no reply)

9. Dartmouth: Quantitative Biomedical Science(Interview notification Dec. 16)

10. UPenn: Genomics and Computational Biology

12 Duke: CBB(interview notification Dec.17)

13. UChicago: Genetics, Genomics and System Biology

Edited by schlieffen_plan

2 hours ago, dec said:

Hello everyone! I just discovered this forum today lol. Thinking about sharing some of my status here.

Programs I applied:

• UC Santa Cruz BMEB, interview on Jan 20, 2022
  • UCSF BMI, Rejection on Dec 15, 2021
  • UC Berkeley Computational Biology
  • Stanford BMI
  • Harvard BIG
  • UCLA Bioinformatics
  • UCSD Bioinformatics
  • MIT CSB
  • MIT HST MEMP
  • USC QCB

International student in the States. (Big RIP cuz a lot of programs don't hv much funding to admit international students)

Have been working in a research lab for 2 yrs after graduation.

I'm international at the US too, haha. I have received the same news from those two universities too!!! Guess I'll see you at UCSC. We also overlap on UCLA and UCSD :D 

Regarding UCSF I think they're not taking international students and they're being filtered from the beginning, sad but that's our reality lol.

Good luck on the rest of your applications! 

58 minutes ago, schlieffen_plan said:

Hey Guys just discovered this thread! I'm an international student from Switzerland. Here is my list and some status. 

3. Yale CBB

6. Columbia: Computational Biology, Bioinformatics and Systems Biology(no interviews, school reply: interview sent on rolling basis) 

8. Princeton: Quantitative and Computational Biology(no interview probably rejected, emailed school no reply)

Mmmm so does this mean Columbia already sent all the invitations? :( 

1 minute ago, chr_angel said:

I'm international at the US too, haha. I have received the same news from those two universities too!!! Guess I'll see you at UCSC. We also overlap on UCLA and UCSD :D 

Regarding UCSF I think they're not taking international students and they're being filtered from the beginning, sad but that's our reality lol.

Good luck on the rest of your applications! 

thanks! You going to UCSC interview in person? Yea Guess I'll see you there lol

7 hours ago, GrapefruitGreenTea said:

Congrats! Are you applying to the bioinformatics or medical informatics at UCLA? Do you know if they have the same committee?

I am applying to the bioinformatics one. I have no idea about the committee, but I think you could refer to the 2021 thread to check the timeline? Wish you good luck!

Hi all, 

Are you able to login into MIT grad admission portal? I was able to do this after submission, but I am not able now. Wondering would it mean they already decided to send me a rejection?. CSB is my dream program and only program I have applied for, they send invitations in the mid of January, but I am already nervous. 

Edited:

Seems the changes are general, but still a bit nervous.

Edited by a_sci_girl

Just wanted to share my US program list and status on Saturday:

• Weill Cornell PBSB [Interview invitation 12/17]
  • Baylor College of Medicine Genetics & Genomics [Interview invitation 12/13]
  • UC Santa Cruz BMEB [Interview invitation 12/15]
  • Harvard SSQB
  • Harvard BBS
  • Harvard MCO
  • Tri-I CBM
  • NYU Vilcek Systems & Computational Biomedicine
  • Mount Sinai
  • University of Washington MolE
  • UTHealth Biostat 

I thought UTHealth Biostat is a safe school because they sent out many admissions (without funding) last year, but no updates till now.

Also I guess I am rejected by Harvard BBS, I don't know why many applicants are still hoping to get an invite lol

On 12/17/2021 at 5:25 PM, schlieffen_plan said:

3. Yale CBB

Congratulations on landing two interview invitations! Do you know if Duke has sent out all invitations?

A little late to the game - but here's the list of programs that I applied to:

1. Duke - CBB

2. CSHL - Biological Sciences

3. Icahn School of Medicine - Biomedical Sciences

4. BU - Bioinformatics

5. Baylor - Bioinformatics

6. Emory - Bioinformatics

7. WUSTL - Comp Bio

8. Minnesota - Comp Bio

So far I haven't heard anything from these programs. CSHL usually notifies applicants before Christmas according to the previous stats. I would assume it's a no for CSHL if I don't hear anything back from them next week. 

Good luck everyone!

1 hour ago, chr_angel said:

Hahaha, I sent it like an hour before deadline, I thought that might be a factor, but rn I'm not that sure lol 

It matters for some schools like Icahn or Case Western where the review process starts in Sep/Oct and interviews are sent on a rolling basis. Most schools don't start reviews until second week of December.

On 12/16/2021 at 6:07 PM, fingerscrossed2022 said:

Did your application portal for WUSTL revert back to the way it looked before (with the "Ready to Review" status) after submitting the faculty list and profile picture? I just checked it again and it reverted and I'm worried ?

That happened to me after I submitted the faculty list! I was about to submit my profile picture by clicking on the 'View Checklist' option, but there was no section to upload it. I wasn't able to submit my photo and currently am emailing with the coordinator back and forth to find a solution to this. I guess I was not the only one this happened to.

It seems Yale CBB sent interviews today. But I haven't received any emails. Probably rejected.

On 12/18/2021 at 5:45 AM, justfiguringitout said:

Has anyone heard back from Yale CBB track?

On 12/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, chr_angel said:

Hello everybody!!

I just found the gradcafe because I was anxious looking for interview dates from previous years. I'm a student from Mexico! Sincerely I'm kinda scared because the international rate of acceptance is kinda low in almost all programs I applied. However here they are:

UPenn: GCB 

Columbia: IPCMBS

UCSD: BSB

UCSC: BMEB [Interview mail received on 12/15]

UCLA: Bioinformatics

UCSF: Biomedical Informatics [Rejected on 12/15]

UChicago: GGSB

I'm tired of refreshing my mail.

Wish you all good luck :)!!!! 

Guyyys!!! I just got an interview from Columbia IPCMBS !!!!  I'm so happy!!!!