Biomedical Sciences PhD Applicants (Fall 2022)

pathoscientist

Just noticed that I am the top poster in this group! So, why not one last rant?

Max anxiety with depression for the last few months. Applied to just 5 good univs and my SOP was focused on my current research and was directly related to POIs (Was really stubborn to pursue what I am doing now). (Un)fortunately, got rejected from all. Realized a few things now which I hadn't known before applying - For Int'l students it is quite challenging to get into (despite 3 great LORs); Should not have restricted/narrowed down myself to just one super-specific field. Anyway, having said all these, still not sure what else led to my rejection. Thought about it for almost a month, every day and minute. Maybe my SOP, maybe my UG GPA (3.2; thought my MS GPA and research at Harvard would compensate). Maybe its everything together. But, who knows? 

After a lot of confusion and lot more of vodka, finally made peace with it all. Not gonna apply in 2022-23 cycle. Nope. Thankfully, my research experience paid off - ended up getting multiple good positions in leading therapeutic companies. It came as a blessing in disguise. During one of my job interviews, a scientist said "PhD will wait, you still have plenty of time" - and it kinda made sense. Gonna kick off a new life. Maybe this will open up new avenues or help me find a new field of interest. Everything happens for a reason.

For those who got into their dream ambitious univs or got settled with the backup safe univs - Congrats! and I am happy for you! Wish you great luck! Hope we meet and discuss science in the future!

For those who did not get into any - Cry for a month or so and shrug it off with a smile cos there is a reason behind everything. Hope you lead a great life!

Signing off ~~

1 hour ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

Max anxiety with depression for the last few months. Applied to just 5 good univs and my SOP was focused on my current research and was directly related to POIs (Was really stubborn to pursue what I am doing now). (Un)fortunately, got rejected from all. Realized a few things now which I hadn't known before applying - For Int'l students it is quite challenging to get into (despite 3 great LORs); Should not have restricted/narrowed down myself to just one super-specific field. Anyway, having said all these, still not sure what else led to my rejection. Thought about it for almost a month, every day and minute. Maybe my SOP, maybe my UG GPA (3.2; thought my MS GPA and research at Harvard would compensate). Maybe its everything together. But, who knows? 

After a lot of confusion and lot more of vodka, finally made peace with it all. Not gonna apply in 2022-23 cycle. Nope. Thankfully, my research experience paid off - ended up getting multiple good positions in leading therapeutic companies. It came as a blessing in disguise. During one of my job interviews, a scientist said "PhD will wait, you still have plenty of time" - and it kinda made sense. Gonna kick off a new life. Maybe this will open up new avenues or help me find a new field of interest. Everything happens for a reason.

For those who got into their dream ambitious univs or got settled with the backup safe univs - Congrats! and I am happy for you! Wish you great luck! Hope we meet and discuss science in the future!

For those who did not get into any - Cry for a month oso and shrug it off with a smile cos there is a reason behind everything. Hope you lead a great lif e!

Signing off ~~

There’s more than one way to pursue your dreams. Don’t let this experience dishearten you!  If you have multiple companies offering you a job after talking to you, they clearly see your potential. At the end of the day, a lot of us will end up looking for those kind of positions anyway. 

A few years down the line, if you want to revisit the idea of doing a PhD for any reason, you will have wayyyy more experience and also these learnings you mentioned in your post about the admissions process. 

Good luck in everything you do!! 

Edited by hp0809

2 hours ago, QWERTYMNB97 said:

For those who did not get into any - Cry for a month or so and shrug it off with a smile cos there is a reason behind everything. Hope you lead a great life!

Signing off ~~

Wish you an exciting journey in the industry! Competition is REALLY difficult for international students but I repect your courage of your own conviction(stubborn to pursue what I am doing now). Good luck to you!

Guys do you think that if I haven't heard anything from some of the programs I applied to this point I should just assume rejection? I heard nothing from Mayo MPET, USC PIBBS, Scripps and JHU CMM since I submitted my application. I am so ready to accept my offer from Northwestern but I just feel like I'm kind of seeking validation lol. I see no point in waiting any longer if those schools are going to reject me in a month or so. So yeah, any advice is much appreciated!!

By the way, have any of you already accepted your offers from your schools? 

2 hours ago, Nata20 said:

Guys do you think that if I haven't heard anything from some of the programs I applied to this point I should just assume rejection? I heard nothing from Mayo MPET, USC PIBBS, Scripps and JHU CMM since I submitted my application. I am so ready to accept my offer from Northwestern but I just feel like I'm kind of seeking validation lol. I see no point in waiting any longer if those schools are going to reject me in a month or so. So yeah, any advice is much appreciated!!

I received a rejection from JHU CMM about 3 weeks ago, so maybe you re still on their consideration

3 minutes ago, womeninstem22 said:

Congrats! I also got an offer of admission email on Friday. 

Congrats to you both!! Could I ask how soon after your interview you were notified? I interview with Vanderbilt next week and was wondering if I might have to wait all the way to March to finally find out haha

Anyone here who interviewed with Baylor college of medicine? I want to know your experience in general but specifically about faculty office hours
did you pop in and say a casual hello or talk about their research? Was it awkward? 

I have an interview coming up this week but I know they had one in early January. 

22 hours ago, canep22 said:

Is there anyone who applied to UT Health MD Anderson Cancer Center's PhD program that also hasn't heard back at all yet? 

May I ask what is your first PhD Research Interest in your application?

I got the interview invitation (will be held on March 4) last Monday. 

My friend also received the invitation (will be held on March 18) at the same day.

Our research interests are cancer biology.

Perhaps you can email the admission coordinator to ask your application status.?

15 minutes ago, Oncology Intern said:

May I ask what is your first PhD Research Interest in your application?

I got the interview invitation (will be held on March 4) last Monday. 

My friend also received the invitation (will be held on March 18) at the same day.

Our research interests are cancer biology.

Perhaps you can email the admission coordinator to ask your application status.?

Mine is cancer biology as well. I think I'll take your advice and email the admission coordinator, thanks! Good luck to you and your friend for your interviews! 

1 hour ago, silly23 said:

Congrats to you both!! Could I ask how soon after your interview you were notified? I interview with Vanderbilt next week and was wondering if I might have to wait all the way to March to finally find out haha

I did my interview on 1/19 and received the admission letter on 2/4, so about two weeks. I was surprised it came so early. Good luck with your interview! 

1 hour ago, canep22 said:

Mine is cancer biology as well. I think I'll take your advice and email the admission coordinator, thanks! Good luck to you and your friend for your interviews! 

mine is epigenetics…have no idea about it. Have all the invitations gone out?

23 minutes ago, Yijuncute said:

mine is epigenetics…have no idea about it. Have all the invitations gone out?

Oh, nice- I'm interested in cancer epigenetics as well and put it as my second choice :) I hope invitations are still going out- it says on the admissions page that we can expect to hear back by mid Feb. 

11 hours ago, Nata20 said:

Congrats on the Northwestern offer! That is a great school!

I can speak on behalf of Mayo MPET program. I will be interviewing with them this week and I've been told this is the 2nd of two interview weekends. I don't believe they plan to send out more interview invites but you could probably reach out to double check. Hopefully this brings clarity. 

On 2/6/2022 at 11:39 AM, canep22 said:

Is there anyone who applied to UT Health MD Anderson Cancer Center's PhD program that also hasn't heard back at all yet? 

I picked quantitative sciences and epigenetics and haven't heard back from them yet. 

Did you guys reach out to the PIs there before submitting your application?

Well, today was an interesting day. I was finally sent a rejection letter from Yale BQBS. I know that a few of us have been waiting one way or the other for that BBS Track. Congratulations to those who were accepted. 

Also, I was sent a formal acceptance for the University of Wisconsin - Madison's MDTP program. I interviewed in the first round a couple weeks ago. I had figured that I was accepted once I was sent a full itinerary for the recruitment weekend. I have a couple more interviews to do before I decide which program I will join.

I am so grateful to have this opportunity. I know that there are quite a few who did not get accepted into any program, let alone their top choices. I was rejected from my top choice (Stanford) and still have not heard from my other top choice (UC - Berkeley) which is probably a rejection at this point. My heart goes out to all of you. We are scientists who worked hard - day in, and day out in classrooms and laboratories. I say, don't give up! There is always next year. There are applicants whom I interviewed with who were on their third year of trying. This was my first year but I got a lot of help, coaching and advice from people who had been through this process. I wish everyone here the best of luck!