2022 Applicants

On 2/11/2022 at 2:30 PM, Hard times! said:

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/a-graduate-school-rejection-letter-as-written-by-my-anxiety-disorder-at-3-am

@missmarianne

I have read this McSweeney post by @missmarianne several times since last year and it still manages to make me laugh in these 'troubling' times! Grad school rejection humour/bathos should be a genre unto itself! 

Hope more people can find works like this to laugh with :)

YESSSSS! Thank you for re-sharing! I didn't apply this year, but y'all have my deep empathy.

Any updates on UConn? Would someone please check their application portal and see if they have a few supplemental forms in the accounts section? I know it's a weird thing to ask but I can't recall these forms from when I last checked the portal and I am a pretty concerned.

2 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Any updates on UConn? Would someone please check their application portal and see if they have a few supplemental forms in the accounts section? I know it's a weird thing to ask but I can't recall these forms from when I last checked the portal and I am a pretty concerned.

@Hard times! I have them on mine too! the ones that say defer application, etc? 

8 minutes ago, thunderkee said:

Many thanks! Everything I see these days screams rejection! I thought my application was not considered by the department for this cycle and wanted to review it for the next cycle (if I do not withdraw my application by then! Any updates on when they might release their decisions? My concentration is a very specific one and isn't considered serious literature by many departments! UConn tends to take the concentration seriously, hence the skewed thought process!

Anything about the fellowship application?

2 hours ago, thunderkee said:

Hmm...those have been on mine since I submitted the application, so I'm not sure if they indicate anything. Although, now that I'm looking at it again, I'm not sure if "Request for Late Arrival" has always been on there (but definitely the ones to defer and withdraw my application). 

1 hour ago, dreamumlifdon said:

Looks like Princeton is making contact with acceptances—I think I might throw up while we wait

I hope hope hope hope that I get in somewhere. I hope we can all get in somewhere. According to my calendar, I should be hearing back soon from programs. I'm glad other people have received good news -- hopefully now myself and others are next!

Hi! I interviewed (20th/21st cent American). So my impression from the interview and from the experiences of people I know is that Columbia interviews for multiple subfields if not all. Everyone (not many! just a couple) I know who has been admitted in past years were interviewed. That's just my anecdotal 2 cents! But more importantly, did you see the tweet someone attached earlier from Columbia's English DGs? He said results will be rolling out starting next week! So its normal not to have heard anything and I think you'll have a better sense then of where you stand. I definitely think there's hope! :) Anyway, first time poster, just wanted to direct your attention to the tweet in case you or others missed it 

Edited by so-it-goes

i see rejections started going out at UTA. i was expecting to be informed by the end of today as i didn't receive an interview/waitlist/acceptance, but no word yet. anyone else left in the dark? i'm also not sure if it's wise to reach out yet since it has only been a day. any recommendations, advice, or similar experiences? thanks!

edit: i applied for the rhetoric concentration, not sure if that would make a difference?

Edited by trw4987

2 minutes ago, taylorjunebug said:

That's awesome! Congrats!! ?

Do you mind telling us if you received a notification from the website or an email from someone in the department? 

It was an email from the DGS. Also subfield is early modern. Someone asked me on the results page but I don't have whatever app you need to respond. . .lol ?

Edited by thursdaysnext

Got off the phone with a university I was admitted to, and now I'm feeling a little deflated.  In my admittance email they mentioned that they had nominated me for a fellowship for my first year but i was just notified I didn't get one even though 12 other people apparently did.

My cycle started off nice, but between this and the UT Austin rejection, I'm scared that was a fluke and that I'll be rejected to the rest of the schools I applied to :(

(I know i'm probably being a lil melodramatic, but the month of February really has been the pits)

Edited by OperaGhost

Woke up two acceptances this morning! Two emails at once--I honestly thought I was dreaming. I am an international student and unfortunately most decisions go out when I am sleeping. Sleeping is so hard these days. When I woke up at around 4 AM I pretty much thought it was a dream... That was strange too because (my)dreams are never this nice ?I am still trying to reckon if it is true or if something went really wrong and the acceptances ended up in my mailbox--haven't told anyone at home.

I got a pretty nice acceptance mail from UConn's DGS (midnight mail) but didn't know how to put it up on the dashboard. Yet to hear from 7 places... I used two different proposals for the two schools but drew heavily on narrative ethics and the philosophy of time for both (post-1945 visual-verbal texts).

I hope we all have something to validate our efforts and anxieties by the end of this cycle! :)

Edited by Hard times!