2022 Applicants

@je46 I'm wondering about this re Columbia as well!

It seems so silly to wait to reject folks, I totally agree @Hard times!. When I've run hiring processes at work etc it doesn't take that much effort to be kind and just say, hey, not this time around. I think it's unnecessary to hold people in suspense, especially when they have to make a big decision by April 15 (or earlier, to give their spot to someone else).

Hello everyone! Hope you all are well. 

I'm currently only waitlisted at Indiana University Bloomington (and my research interests are postcolonial studies and gender/sexuality studies). I was informed by the DGS of IUB English Dept that it is generally difficult to fund someone with only a BA (as compared to someone with a BA and MA) but he also said that there was still hope. I don't know how hopeful i should get. But Indiana is my top choice and I really wanna study there.

If anyone has been accepted into IUB and has the same research focus (gender studies) and has a lucrative fully funded offer from somewhere else, I would be very grateful if you could inform them of your decision. (These really sound like too many ifs...haha...Waitlist is painful too)

1 W/ 5 R/ 2 P

Edited by miniqueerthingy

2 minutes ago, heterotopia said:

@Shake829 Thanks! Thought it was a long shot but really glad it worked out:)

Good things happen when you remain positive! From the offers that you’ve received, it seems that your application is strong and this is well deserved. Good luck at Princeton! (Assuming this is where you’ll go, ha). 

10 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Good things happen when you remain positive! From the offers that you’ve received, it seems that your application is strong and this is well deserved. Good luck at Princeton! (Assuming this is where you’ll go, ha). 

Still waiting on Penn complit (interviewed with them two days ago) but will likely commit to Princeton, as my dream supervisor is there:P

This application season sucks. I know I had a really strong application, and I started off with a really good acceptance--personal, told me to send them all my offer letters, etc. But like, then all the rejections just kept coming, and today, just two hours apart, rejections for my top two schools came in. I knew Cornell was a long shot, but University of Michigan is such a perfect fit and I'm honestly devastated. I don't know if I can even afford to move to my first acceptance, but I really don't want to stay at the same university where I did my BA and MA. I know this doesn't really accomplish anything, but I just needed to put it into the void.

Hi everyone!

Thus far I have received one fully funded offer for the terminal MA program at the University of Cincinnati (where I went for undergrad). I am waitlisted at UConn and Indiana-Bloomington for their integrated MA/PhD programs. 

Two rejections from UW-Madison and OSU as well. I'm waiting to hear back from several other programs though, so keeping my fingers crossed!

Edited by DavidFosterWallaby

12 hours ago, 15641616 said:

I am also waitlisted at Indiana. Does anyone know how the waitlist is ranked? I am PhD track. 

When I emailed them, they said that their waitlist was not ranked per se, and it all depends upon how many accepted students from our particular research field (eg: my research focus is gender studies and postcolonial) decline the offers. I should probably ask them how many students are there in line for gender studies focus. 

Also, I applied for the Literature and Culture track (integrated MA PhD) . There is also a Rhetoric track. Which did you apply for and what's your research focus? 

Hi all! 

First time here. So nice to see y'all supporting each other!

Currently waitlisted at UChicago (Romance Languages & Literatures, French track) and Cornell (Comp Lit). Rejections from Northwestern and Michigan. Still no word from 5 others...

Huge congrats to everyone who got in their dream school & big, big cheers for us still bravely waiting!

(Also, lurking here to see if anyone decides to decline UChicago or Cornell. If you do, please let them know! Thank you so very much!!!)

a0/w2/r2/p5

Congrats everyone on the accepts! Those like me, still waiting for decisions, sending a lot of positive wishes - hang in there (also saying it to myself). Does anyone know anything about UPenn English? In the past years, their decisions had started to come out around this time. From what I know they do not interview either, so does anyone have any insider info? Thanks a lot! 

17 hours ago, zetasp said:

This application season sucks. I know I had a really strong application, and I started off with a really good acceptance--personal, told me to send them all my offer letters, etc. But like, then all the rejections just kept coming, and today, just two hours apart, rejections for my top two schools came in. I knew Cornell was a long shot, but University of Michigan is such a perfect fit and I'm honestly devastated. I don't know if I can even afford to move to my first acceptance, but I really don't want to stay at the same university where I did my BA and MA. I know this doesn't really accomplish anything, but I just needed to put it into the void.

As someone who got a few early acceptances and is now being thrown an onslaught of rejections, I can really relate to this. I had take an “angsty hour” to deal with the trauma of the Michigan rejection. The department and funding is stellar, and I really thought I was a great fit too.

In general, I feel like the latter half of the season might be the hardest? It seems this is when there’s more rejections than acceptances being thrown out (since so many schools stalled with sending out rejections). 

That being said, it’s a huge accomplishment to get into even one program!! Half the cohort in the year ahead of me got completely shut out last year. Whether or not you end up accepting this offer, the fact that you got it says a lot about your abilities (they probably chose you over like 200 other applicants! That’s crazy!). 
If you do decide to go I’m sure you’ll shine, and if not, you can always reapply in hopes that the grad school application lottery will be kinder. 

Rejection sucks but you dont! Hope you’re hanging in there ❤️

29 minutes ago, why_tho said:

Congrats everyone on the accepts! Those like me, still waiting for decisions, sending a lot of positive wishes - hang in there (also saying it to myself). Does anyone know anything about UPenn English? In the past years, their decisions had started to come out around this time. From what I know they do not interview either, so does anyone have any insider info? Thanks a lot! 

I emailed them and their response was "applicants can generally expect to hear by the end of the first week in March, give or take". 

2 hours ago, miniqueerthingy said:

When I emailed them, they said that their waitlist was not ranked per se, and it all depends upon how many accepted students from our particular research field (eg: my research focus is gender studies and postcolonial) decline the offers. I should probably ask them how many students are there in line for gender studies focus. 

Also, I applied for the Literature and Culture track (integrated MA PhD) . There is also a Rhetoric track. Which did you apply for and what's your research focus? 

I also applied for the Lit and Culture track, and my research focus is early modern.

22 hours ago, heterotopia said:

Still waiting on Penn complit (interviewed with them two days ago) but will likely commit to Princeton, as my dream supervisor is there:P

Congrats on Princeton!! It's an amazing program! And your dream supervisor too!

16 hours ago, je46 said:

Anyone been accepted to Yale English? Had an interview with the FMS track, but haven't heard anything from English accept/reject or otherwise...

I was rejected a week ago! I would assume they have already sent out acceptances, but you never know!

Also, I'm not sure if this info will be useful to anyone, but I heard from Austin that they put out "first round" acceptances which might mean there's more coming depending on what they hear from the admits immediately. I'm not sure what's up with the waitlist scenario though.

Edited by Submarina

14 minutes ago, Submarina said:

Also, I'm not sure if this info will be useful to anyone, but I heard from Austin that they put out "first round" acceptances which might mean there's more coming depending on what they hear from the admits immediately. I'm not sure what's up with the waitlist scenario though.

I was waitlisted at Austin several weeks ago and what they told us was that they were very conservative this year with how many people they admitted, and that they had a very small waitlist. So its totally possible that more waitlists and acceptances are coming!

Edited by thursdaysnext