2022 Applicants

26 minutes ago, Hard times! said:

@Shake829Any updates on NEU?  Whatever is the matter with them? Pretty sure it's a rejection for me but why this drag?! They usually release their decisions by February... ?

I think I saw that someone on the results thread said that they reached out and were told to expect results this week. It’s not just them; this entire cycle has been a drag. We are in March, and I’m still waiting to officially hear news from 8 programs. I’m also struggling to hear from programs that have already made decisions. For example, a plethora of Brown applicants got put out of their misery last week, but I’ve yet to hear a peep from them. I’ve been a light of positivity on this forum for a while, but even I’m starting to get antsy!

1 hour ago, Shake829 said:

I think I saw that someone on the results thread said that they reached out and were told to expect results this week. It’s not just them; this entire cycle has been a drag. We are in March, and I’m still waiting to officially hear news from 8 programs. I’m also struggling to hear from programs that have already made decisions. For example, a plethora of Brown applicants got put out of their misery last week, but I’ve yet to hear a peep from them. I’ve been a light of positivity on this forum for a while, but even I’m starting to get antsy!

Oh yeah I am waiting to hear from 5 (out of 9) as well and I know for sure that at least three of them haven't released decisions of any kind. But why this delay? I mean the covid situation was much worse last year and global conflicts cannot play a role because those have surfaced quite recently... can't see why some programmes are super-early and others are super-late! 

Edited by Hard times!

1 hour ago, phdapplicant321 said:

What kind of key questions are people asking faculty/students? 

So I’ve been asking:

1) how long do people take to graduate? Is the funding livable for the area? Is there a student union?

2) what kind of research are current students in my sub field undertaking?

3) what courses in my sub field are being offered next year?

4) I also always let grad students know I’m willing to hear general comments or complaints! Take everything with a grain of salt of course, but it’s good to know what the vibes are 

Good luck meeting your prospective departments! I’m curious if others have anything to add to this list

1 hour ago, OperaGhost said:

So I’ve been asking:

1) how long do people take to graduate? Is the funding livable for the area? Is there a student union?

4) I also always let grad students know I’m willing to hear general comments or complaints! Take everything with a grain of salt of course, but it’s good to know what the vibes are 

Good luck meeting your prospective departments! I’m curious if others have anything to add to this list

Ahh this is great, thank you! Question 3, especially, is one I would not have thought to ask. 

good luck to all -- Just want to advise against UConn for PhDs and MA/PhDs. Funding is not secure, relations with the faculty are tense, teaching load is 2:2 (and very work intensive, since the curriculum is always changing), everyone's unhappy, and literally no one is getting jobs. Still advisable for terminal MAs simply because they offer full funding, but the situation for PhDs is extremely bleak and likely to get worse. Avoid at all costs, unless you have an incredibly good reason not to

happy to answer questions by PM

6 hours ago, thursdaysnext said:

I'm planning to go.

Are you waitlisted or admitted? I’m waitlisted as an early modernist. This, so far, is the only positive that I’ve gotten. I’m planning to go, as well, though I fear that getting my hopes up and falling (further) in love with the program will make it harder if I don’t come off the waitlist.

13 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Are you waitlisted or admitted? I’m waitlisted as an early modernist. This, so far, is the only positive that I’ve gotten. I’m planning to go, as well, though I fear that getting my hopes up and falling (further) in love with the program will make it harder if I don’t come off the waitlist.

I'm also a waitlisted early modernist. lol 

10 hours ago, OperaGhost said:

So I’ve been asking:

These are really great questions! To add onto that:

5) the placement record for my subfield in recent years

6) the average cohort size for the PhD program

7) (if you already have an MA) is it possible to transfer some credits from my previous degree?

8 Are there any graduate certificates/research centers/reading groups relevant to my interests?

Edited by heterotopia
typo

Just received another open house invitation from Northeastern, but this one seems very suggestive. There’s a part that says: “Have all your questions answered before confirming your enrollment.”

The “before confirming your enrollment” part seems very suggestive. But I had reached out before about another open house (on the same date) and was told that it was a general recruitment event and did not suggest anything. But this one seems to want to get people to confirm an offer of acceptance. I haven’t heard anything from them, and I was not interviewed, so I’m not expecting much, but these emails are so suggestive ?

This is so stressful. 

29 minutes ago, Shake829 said:

Just received another open house invitation from Northeastern, but this one seems very suggestive. There’s a part that says: “Have all your questions answered before confirming your enrollment.”

The “before confirming your enrollment” part seems very suggestive. But I had reached out before about another open house (on the same date) and was told that it was a general recruitment event and did not suggest anything. But this one seems to want to get people to confirm an offer of acceptance. I haven’t heard anything from them, and I was not interviewed, so I’m not expecting much, but these emails are so suggestive ?

This is so stressful. 

Me again! Been a while.

Same situation here. The “before confirming your enrollment” is suspicious, and worse: if you click the link to register, the description on that page says things like "meet OTHER admitted students" and "adjust your class schedule". I sincerely think this is a mistake on the auto email list, as I have not been interviewed or heard a decision on my program, and I am assuming rejection. That being said, they're really getting my hopes up, so, if it's just another generic one, ouch.

Let me know if you email asking about this one or get any other news!

Is anyone on here willing to claim the Rutgers acceptances/waitlists? I'm curious what subfields you might be in. I emailed the department about my application, and they said they were "still making decisions." I'm wondering if that means there's any hope for all us early modernists patiently waiting? 

If not, that's okay! I'd pretty much accepted my fate. Still, it really would be a shock and a delight to be accepted (or even waitlisted!)

Edited by OperaGhost

3 minutes ago, whateverthrowaway said:

Me again! Been a while.

Same situation here. The “before confirming your enrollment” is suspicious, and worse: if you click the link to register, the description on that page says things like "meet OTHER admitted students" and "adjust your class schedule". I sincerely think this is a mistake on the auto email list, as I have not been interviewed or heard a decision on my program, and I am assuming rejection. That being said, they're really getting my hopes up, so, if it's just another generic one, ouch.

I assume that this is from the mailing list, too, and won’t think otherwise until directly told. Ha.

2 minutes ago, OperaGhost said:

Is anyone on here willing to claim the Rutgers acceptances/waitlists? I'm curious what subfields you might be in. I emailed the department about my application, and they said they were "still making decisions." I'm wondering if that means there's any hope for all us early modernists patiently waiting? 

If not, that's okay! I'd pretty much accepted my fate. Still, it really would be a shock and a delight to be accepted (or even waitlisted!)

I didn’t apply to Rutgers this cycle, but I saw on the results page that someone reached out and was rejected. So, if the same didn’t happen to you, I would assume that you’re in the running still. 

On 3/2/2022 at 12:18 PM, Shake829 said:

I didn’t apply to Rutgers this cycle, but I saw on the results page that someone reached out and was rejected. So, if the same didn’t happen to you, I would assume that you’re in the running still. 

Ahhh that's what I thought too but I didn't want to get my hopes up! I really hope they're not toying with me ?

1 hour ago, Shake829 said:

This is so stressful. 

Could mean something! I didn't receive anything of this sort and I am pretty sure it's a rejection for me (goodbye Hillary Chute dreams). If you are receiving things it would mean you are on some kind of list. Someone seemed pretty confident the other day about NEU's admits... but who knows how these admissions committees work!

And some of these schools--their emails tend to so cryptic like "we invite you to view your admissions letter"--why would you invite someone to their rejection?! And who calls a rejection letter 'admissions letter'! Lord! Why so cordial! They could just say you have had a status update... It's like giving you a glimpse of the sky only to later bathe you in slime ?

2 hours ago, Shake829 said:

This is so stressful. 

Would you mind writing to them? Please? Maybe not about the invite but something more general--if you are in the 'good' lists you might even get a sign! They haven't sent out rejections yet. And as long as the rejection letter which you know is jingling down your way has not arrived you still have small pockets of optimism in your head, despite yourself :'|

Woke up to a rejection from UConn, felt pretty bummed about all the money and time I'd spent on applications, then received an acceptance from Vermont with a scholarship offer! 

Grad app season is a mysterious and crazy time. I'm so glad I chose to throw my hat in the ring, but I'm even more glad it's basically over with for me. Good luck to everyone else waiting to hear back from schools! :)

2 hours ago, whateverthrowaway said:

Me again! Been a while.

So, I didn’t reach out, but I just received an official rejection from the program, so it seems that, for me, the email was nothing more than a general event invite. Good luck to you, though!