2022 Applicants

Any advice on inquiring about a waitlist status? Should I just wait for them to contact me? I got a fully funded offer on Monday, but my top choice is the school at which I’m waitlisted. If I do reach out, would it be ok to mention my other offer? I’m not sure if that’ll make me look more interested (i.e., I have another offer, but I still would rather be here) or if it’ll make them feel less inclined to keep me in the loop. 

2 hours ago, Shake829 said:

Any advice on inquiring about a waitlist status? Should I just wait for them to contact me? I got a fully funded offer on Monday, but my top choice is the school at which I’m waitlisted. If I do reach out, would it be ok to mention my other offer? I’m not sure if that’ll make me look more interested (i.e., I have another offer, but I still would rather be here) or if it’ll make them feel less inclined to keep me in the loop. 

Long time lurker here - is there an open house or something like that you can attend? If so, I'd go to that and try to express interest there to the professors directly, because it seems likes it's hard getting programs to reply to emails when you're waitlisted. But honestly, if you have a fully funded offer somewhere else, I'd take that and not sit on a waitlist anymore! An offer of admission is always a better sign than a waitlist, so the program that offered you admission will probably be the better fit anyways. Especially since you don't know if you'll even get off the other waitlist, whereas the place that offered you admission definitely wants you. Congrats on being accepted somewhere! :)

1 hour ago, jckcde said:

Long time lurker here - is there an open house or something like that you can attend? If so, I'd go to that and try to express interest there to the professors directly, because it seems likes it's hard getting programs to reply to emails when you're waitlisted. But honestly, if you have a fully funded offer somewhere else, I'd take that and not sit on a waitlist anymore! An offer of admission is always a better sign than a waitlist, so the program that offered you admission will probably be the better fit anyways. Especially since you don't know if you'll even get off the other waitlist, whereas the place that offered you admission definitely wants you. Congrats on being accepted somewhere! :)

I would not listen to this advice. Once you’re in there is no difference between being a direct admit or an off-the-waitlist person. There’s a lot of reasons why you might be waitlisted one place and accepted another and it’s not necessarily a matter of fit. Do not take yourself off a waitlist unless you are sure you would not take their offer anyway. 

To the original question, you can and should email them to say that you are still interested but that you have another offer and ask if they can give you any more information (e.g. is the waitlist ranked or by area? where do you stand on it? are they waiting on many responses or have most people accepted already? do they expect to hear back or respond to you by a certain date (e.g. after visit days), etc.). None of these answers will actually help you get in (nor will having another offer) but at least you’ll have some info.

If you have a strong sense that you might take the waitlist offer if it is made, I would just hold on until the deadline (and follow up with the waitlist). The other school knows this is a thing and will respect it. There is still more than a month to go and often waitlist movement happens at the very end.

19 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

I would not listen to this advice. Once you’re in there is no difference between being a direct admit or an off-the-waitlist person. There’s a lot of reasons why you might be waitlisted one place and accepted another and it’s not necessarily a matter of fit. Do not take yourself off a waitlist unless you are sure you would not take their offer anyway. 

To the original question, you can and should email them to say that you are still interested but that you have another offer and ask if they can give you any more information (e.g. is the waitlist ranked or by area? where do you stand on it? are they waiting on many responses or have most people accepted already? do they expect to hear back or respond to you by a certain date (e.g. after visit days), etc.). None of these answers will actually help you get in (nor will having another offer) but at least you’ll have some info.

If you have a strong sense that you might take the waitlist offer if it is made, I would just hold on until the deadline (and follow up with the waitlist). The other school knows this is a thing and will respect it. There is still more than a month to go and often waitlist movement happens at the very end.

all good points! 

23 hours ago, CHP47 said:

From what I hear, COVID deferrals from previous years are impacting the number of slots available. I currently work in higher ed and I know a lot of schools, especially public universities, had their budgets cut. I imagine that would impact the number of funded positions available. I started to apply two years ago, but stopped after submitting one app because I found out I was pregnant. I kept an eye on things even though I wasn't actively applying and the competition feels worse this year.

I am international student and didn't apply last year either. But I had applied back in 2019 and was waitlisted at two places though my application was absolutely terrible with very little focus.

The cohort sizes did seem to be bigger back then or maybe more people reported their scores back then! I don't know if it's just the competition but public unis (at least some that I applied to) have managed the whole application process quite poorly. Don't know about acceptances but in terms of response and updates too, they have seemed pretty indifferent...

On 3/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, Shake829 said:

Very early morning email of an acceptance with funding and insurance! Still waiting on my first choice to let me know about the waitlist. The email said that I should let them know if I have questions in the meantime—any suggestions?

Hey ho! Many congratulations on the unburdening! Though I hope your waitlist works out for you.

Sorry for the delay. Positive manifestation worked, eh? 

The other day I was watching Belfast and simply can't get the 'do not forsake me oh my darling'-track off my head but it seems so apt for the whole application season, especially when you are waiting for the last couple of schools or are on waitlists!

Most of us have been starry-eyed and in the depths of despair in turns throughout the season! 

Hope you are happy with your offer :)

3 minutes ago, mirror_ said:

I declined my offer from UW last week, so maybe they’ll be reaching out soon. Good luck!

Thank you so much for sharing! Would you mind also sharing which track you were in?

Edited by Cordelipup

5 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Thank you for the candid advice! I’m still on the waitlist, and there’s an open house on Friday. I assume that more admitted students will have a feel as to what they want to do after this. I’m thinking it might be best to follow up that Monday and explain the situation. 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:42 AM, heterotopia said:

Turned down my offers at UW-Madison and CUNY today. 

So, I know that you and I are not in the same field, but did CUNY reply to your message about turning down your offer? Did you send an email or just decline via the portal? I’m just curious as to whether they replied, as it might suggest that the waitlist has already started to move. Just curious as to how fast their turnaround might be. 

3 hours ago, Hard times! said:

Hey ho! Many congratulations on the unburdening! Though I hope your waitlist works out for you.

Sorry for the delay. Positive manifestation worked, eh? 

The other day I was watching Belfast and simply can't get the 'do not forsake me oh my darling'-track off my head but it seems so apt for the whole application season, especially when you are waiting for the last couple of schools or are on waitlists!

Most of us have been starry-eyed and in the depths of despair in turns throughout the season! 

Hope you are happy with your offer :)

Thanks, friend! It was a relief to receive that message early in the morning. I’m still waiting on the specifics of the offer. Also, I replied to the message with some questions and have yet to hear back. A small part of my anxiety can’t help but to question if the email was a mistake, ha!

I just want to say that I was on this forum last year, and many (many!) talented people were shutout. This year, the positivity has been overwhelming, and it’s been great seeing so many active people on here get good news! You’re all clearly very talented, and I’m sure that you’ll produce stellar work and go on to distinguished careers!

And, for those who are receiving (or have already received) the unfortunate shutout: I’ve been there before; this is my third cycle. My first year, I was completely shutout. My second year was the first pandemic cycle, where offers were scarce and hard to come by. I had an offer, but I turned it down because I knew it wasn’t right for me. This year, I’ve so far received one acceptance, and I’m on the waitlist for my top choice. I’m also still waiting on two decisions. I suppose what I’m saying is that good things will come to you—I’m sure of it! Don’t look at this cycle as failure; look at it as a means of bettering yourself and coming back stronger than ever!

2 hours ago, Shake829 said:

So, I know that you and I are not in the same field, but did CUNY reply to your message about turning down your offer? Did you send an email or just decline via the portal? I’m just curious as to whether they replied, as it might suggest that the waitlist has already started to move. Just curious as to how fast their turnaround might be. 

I emailed Professor Siraj Ahmed (who quickly replied) and I also turned down my offer via the portal. Not sure about their turnaround time but I hope you finally get in! 

Hi all!

Has anyone heard from Binghamton on the fiction side of things? (I saw that there's been some acceptances on the poetry side.)

Is anyone else still waiting to hear anything from Syracuse University?

And has it been radio silence for the University at Albany?

These are the last three PhD programs that I'm waiting on. I'm thrilled to have an acceptance with a Teaching Assistantship, and I'm on two waitlists (with the top spot on one of those waitlists). Trying to be patient while trying to get this all figured out is agonizing.

Hope all are doing well. I've not been accepted anywhere and have four schools to hear back from. I hope that good news still awaits. I tried my hardest this cycle (my second cycle of applying) and am still waiting it out. I'm glad that some other folks have been accepted and have the chance to continue to a doctoral program. Wishing the best for all!

Hi, I’m a bit of a lurker here who applied to MFAs this cycle but do want to go on to do a PhD in the future and so have been lurking here. I’m curious about the prevalence of rejected from PhD accepted to MA. Is there a reason why programs do this ? As someone with a BA and then an unrelated MS Education, a little lost on this practice.