Spanish Literature and Linguistics/Hispanic Studies Graduate Applications 2022

caromella

Hi all.

I hope that this process is going well and that the anxiety is gradually decreasing. I write to comment that I was accepted in Tulane and Cuny (literature track). Tulane was notified by mail and Cuny by website. I hope this information helps those who are interested in these programs. As an international student, I would like your thoughts on the programs and the cost of living in New York. Thanks so much for any help.

Congratulations, @GRADSPN1! CUNY looks like a great program! The teacher I contacted few months ago is retiring this year, so I didn't apply there. In addition, costs seem to be very expensive in NY (same as I heard about Boston, MA). But I think it depends on the offer letter $ you receive and if you are going with dependents. I don't know how much the stipend is at CUNY... Good luck in your decision!

For here, nothing at all. I'm still waiting...

2 hours ago, GRADSPN1 said:

Hi all.

I hope that this process is going well and that the anxiety is gradually decreasing. I write to comment that I was accepted in Tulane and Cuny (literature track). Tulane was notified by mail and Cuny by website. I hope this information helps those who are interested in these programs. As an international student, I would like your thoughts on the programs and the cost of living in New York. Thanks so much for any help.

Hi @GRADSPN1 - Congrats!!!! In my opinion, I'd only choose Cuny if the program was my first choice and I really really wanted to go there. I live in Manhattan and the cost of living is really high. You'd probably need to comute from your place to Cuny. It can be stressful for some, but it's definitely a challenge worth pursuing if you're up for the task. 

Hey! I’ve just found out about this forum. I was very anxious and, luckily, I came across this discussion. I applied to five universities and four of them reached me (NYU, Northwestern, UPenn and Columbia).
So, for those of you who where concerned about LAIC: I am having an interview with them on Thursday. Northwestern has not accepted me but they told me that they will review my aplicación by the end of February. I don’t know if that means that I am on their waitlist but that’s definitely a “maybe” situation. 
I have also had interviews with NYU (haven’t heard from them yet, has someone received a letter accepting them?) and UPenn (they told me that I will be receiving news by the end of the month). 
Well, we just have to keep waiting but you definitely saved me from the loop that’s been going on in my head. Good luck to everybody and thanks! 

Hello @_flora, welcome. I am in the same situation as you in the case of Northwestern and NYU. Regarding Northwestern, it is effectively a wait-list, but designed to evaluate the offers of other programs (in my case, it is because my research project is directly related to New York, so they told me to see my options at NYU, Columbia, Princeton and Cuny before contacting them again). Speaking of NYU, I'm waiting for the interview response just like you, so if I know anything I'll let you know (I understand that the decision should be made soon). Thank you very much for the information regarding Columbia LAIC, I suppose I will be rejected because they did not call me for an interview. Good luck in your applications.

@GRADSPN1Thanks for the information! I think that some of us are in the same situation with Northwestern, which is quite odd because I do not know who they are going to pick if necessary. A friend of mine was accepted and he is planning to choose NU, so I know that his spot is not going to be available. 

Good luck to everybody! 

52 minutes ago, caromella said:

I suppose that I can assume rejection from NYU since I did not get an interview...oh well. That definitely sucks but it is what it is

I've been asking my friends who are studying phds in spanish right now and they didn't went trough the interview process. So I think there is hope.

@fairy really, where?!

I’m waitlisted in Harvard’s RLL, the best result of the season. Still waiting notices from Boston University, Brown University and Princeton University. I’m pretty sure that Princeton is going to reject me, because they didn’t offer me an interview.

4r/1w/0a/3p

Hope it goes better for you. Probably I will see you in the next application cycle.

Best wishes

@caromella Thank you for sharing that information. I hope they contact us soon. I really could use some good news (or stop waiting for news). A friend of UPenn told me that some schools are taking more time than usual because many departments are trying to restore their number of scholarships (as they had before the pandemic), perhaps that’s the case. Hope you get into BU!

Hey, pals!

@caromella

@SPANGRAD22

Today I received a message from BU! The message states that the admissions committee has recommended my application for the Graduate School: "I am pleased to inform you that our admissions committee has recommended to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences that you be awarded admission."

Still waiting for the offer letter, but the advisor will call me on Monday, "to discuss your interests with you and also to respond to any questions you might have. Additionally, we will be in touch soon about arrangements for a virtual opportunity to learn more about our program and our community."

And he ended the email: "My colleagues and I hope very much that you will be joining us in the fall!"

That's my top choice! I'm so excited!

@caromella I’m sorry to hear that.

@MillerS Congratulations! Surely, you will be an excellent addition to the program.

I still waiting for the decision. Maybe it’s a good sign, maybe it isn’t. I will let you know as soon as I receive any update.

I have a question for you two: Did you received an email from the department or an alert to check the portal?