Spanish Literature and Linguistics/Hispanic Studies Graduate Applications 2022

caromella

Follow up- I emailed my POI and she basically said if I wasn't interviewed then I was not going to get in. It was a kind email where she told me that I had really strong materials but they just didn't have a lot of funding this year. This rejection stings a little since I thought I had a really strong application, but oh well. Life goes on and I am still very excited for my UNC acceptance.

Hello to all!

I wanted to ask for those of you who interviewed at Princeton how your experience was/if you have received any communication from the department afterward. 

Congratulations to all of you with acceptances from your programs—it seems it is a difficult year. Best of luck to all.

Hi @vallejeandohow are you? In my experience everything went well. It was a nice talk and I was able to say everything I wanted about my interests and the program. I don't have high expectations because apparently we were 15 persons interviewed and there are only 4 places. However, after the business day was over, my POI wrote to tell me that we had many interests and problems in common and that the interview went well. How was your experience?

Edited by GRADSPN1

¡Hola a todos! Just checking in to see the news and I agree - this seems to be a very difficult year. Still, felicitaciones a quienes ya tienen respuestas positivas!!!!!

In my case, I haven't heard back from any of the programs so my rejections will probably arrive soon. You'll see me on the 2023 topic :) as I'm already getting ready for a new admission season - trying to stay positive! 

Hi @GRADSPN1! To be honest I don’t think my interview went well haha. It felt more like I was defending a thesis than a casual chat ? I guess we’ll see what happens, but I also have low expectations. My best wishes to you on getting in!

@smgr stay positive! It’s a difficult year, but sometimes programs are slow to respond. I’m still waiting on two that haven’t said anything.

No sé si alguien aplicó para University of Houston, pero confirmé la información con el departamento: el resultado del PhD program in Spanish sale a fines de febrero.

UMass Amherst creo que será uno de los últimos. Según la información del sitio web, de 6 a 10 semanas después de la deadline (que era el 1 de febrero). Es decir, hasta alrededor del 9 de abril, en el máximo.

UTDallas sigue siendo un misterio. Mi status aún se apresenta 'Application complete', cuando en la verdade creo que debería estar 'Under Comittee Review'.

2 hours ago, MillerS said:

No sé si alguien aplicó para University of Houston, pero confirmé la información con el departamento: el resultado del PhD program in Spanish sale a fines de febrero.

UMass Amherst creo que será uno de los últimos. Según la información del sitio web, de 6 a 10 semanas después de la deadline (que era el 1 de febrero). Es decir, hasta alrededor del 9 de abril, en el máximo.

UTDallas sigue siendo un misterio. Mi status aún se apresenta 'Application complete', cuando en la verdade creo que debería estar 'Under Comittee Review'.

Hola, yo apliqué para el de Creative Writing en español, ¿es ese del que hablas? Es mi opción número uno.

Btw, have anyone heard something from Tulane? I was rejected by Cornell earlier this week, very sad but still waiting on Houston and Tulane.

Good luck to everyone!

@AnheléNo, en verdade hablo del programa de Spanish with a concentration in Literature or Linguistics. No les pregunté sobre Escritura Creativa. 

Pero creo que no hay problema en contatar con el programa, caso tengas un potencial advisor con quien pueda hablar.

¡Buena suerte!

Edited by MillerS

Hi @Anhelé. I don't know if this comment will help because I don't know if this is what you mean, but together with another member of this group we were interviewed about two weeks ago. Is that what you mean? Or do you want to know when they will give the answer to the interview?

I hope to help in something

4 minutes ago, GRADSPN1 said:

Hi @Anhelé. I don't know if this comment will help because I don't know if this is what you mean, but together with another member of this group we were interviewed about two weeks ago. Is that what you mean? Or do you want to know when they will give the answer to the interview?

I hope to help in something

I'm talking about the final decisions ? 

@MillerS I know right...I feel the same way about Boston, the wait is torturous! I emailed them 13 days ago and they told me "within the next 2 weeks" was when they expected to give results. NYU told me they were aiming for last Friday and I still haven't heard anything from them either. I am assuming that things came up that delayed the decisions, especially with that giant snowstorm in the northeast a few weeks ago :')

@caromella I sincerely hope that's why we haven't heard anything from NYU! I kind of figured that if I didn't hear anything it's because they passed over me for the interview round. I'd love to hear from anyone that has a little more info if they have it!

@vallejeando My experience interviewing them was good! I had met one of the professors very briefly before because he guest lectured in one of my undergrad classes, so I felt a teeny bit more comfortable as a result. I don't have a strong rapport with any one POI though, and haven't heard anything since the interview. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you did better than you think! It's normal that the interviews take on that interrogative tone I think

Also I received a rejection from Harvard last night, which is unsurprising given I did the worst thing ever (named a different school in my SOP). Just sharing in case anyone is wondering about news from that department.

I got into UC Irvine also! Very excited to have one great PhD option. Not super sure how the school ranks compared to others, does anyone have any info about UC Irvine's reputation?