Spanish Literature and Linguistics/Hispanic Studies Graduate Applications 2022

caromella

Hola a todos nuevamente y felicitaciones a los admitidos!!!!! 

Just an update on my NYU application. I received the official rejection. I was already expecting it since I didn't get an interview, but I talked to a current student who mentioned that in past years they've had interviews until early March so if you applied there and haven't received a rejection it might be good news for you! 

I also applied to the Ph.D. in Literary, Cultural, and Linguistic Studies at the University of Miami (they have quite a few faculty members whose expertise match my research interests even though it's not a Spanish program per se), but I haven't heard anything from them and I cannot find a lot of info here. No idea if they even do interviews. Does anyone happen to know more about their admission process?

Hola a tod@s!

I just found out about this forum! As many of you said, it seems like this year is particularly tough! It's a long shot but did anyone applied to UC Riverside? it's so weird because unlike the other applications, my UCR application still says "being processed" since I submitted back in December. Should I contact the department? 

Thank you and congrats on the acceptances! :) 

@SPGR_22 I applied to UC Riverside and am awaiting to hear decisions too. They did contact me last week to let me know I failed to include my writing sample (face palm) and asked me to send it along for consideration.

I also received rejections from NYU and Princeton last week. Congratulations to anyone who made it in, I'm sure it was a super competitive year! 

I'm still waiting to hear from Brown, UPenn, Columbia, Stanford and UC Berkely. Don't have high hopes for UPenn because I flopped in my interview and I saw on the results page that some people got acceptances 5 days ago. Also don't have high hopes for Brown because I saw some were invited for interviews. Anyone have any info on any of these schools?

Thanks for letting me know @Lolahola! I'm sure that's a good sign that they still wanted you to send your Writing sample :) do you also have "being processed" on your portal or something different? It makes me really anxious to think that my application didn't even make it to the department.

Hey @Lolahola, where have you seen the results from UPenn? I have not heard from them yet and I have not seen any information in the result page. Please let me know if you have any news about it. 

I have been rejected by Princeton. I was expecting that, since I was not interviewed. Still waiting for results from NYU, Columbia and UPenn. Good luck to everyone! 

Edited by _flora

Just got my Duke rejection. I will probably accept the Chapel Hill offer since my partner already got rejected from Brown and we want to try to stay in the same area. With that said, I will probably be not using this site as frequently and focusing more on the next steps. This whole process has been pretty rough on my mental health. For those of you still waiting, best of luck! I hope the tides go in your favor :) 

Hey, guys! How's it going?

Two days ago, I received more two PhD acceptances: University of Massachusetts Amherst and University of Washington (Seattle).

I'm thinking between Boston University x University of Washington. To me, they seem like the best options so far.

I'm still waiting hear from University of Houston, but I think I'll get into BU.

In general, what's the main difference between public and private institutions? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to consider in my decision? What do you think about?

Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, MillerS said:

Hey, guys! How's it going?

Two days ago, I received more two PhD acceptances: University of Massachusetts Amherst and University of Washington (Seattle).

I'm thinking between Boston University x University of Washington. To me, they seem like the best options so far.

I'm still waiting hear from University of Houston, but I think I'll get into BU.

In general, what's the main difference between public and private institutions? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to consider in my decision? What do you think about?

Thanks a lot!

So happy for you!

Please let us know as soon as you get the Houston response, I'm also waiting in Creative Writing. 

Hello everyone!

Yesterday, I received the decision letter from BU Romance Studies department. I got in! I’m very excited! I am going to take the offer (I’m waitlisted in other programs but no guarantee there).

If you are still waiting, don’t despair, good news are coming.

@MillerS congratulations on the new acceptances! Hope see you at BU :)

Best wishes for all of you 

Hi @LDGS! How are you? You mean the Cuny GradCenter? I understand that all the offers were made (5 for the literature track and 3 for the linguistics track). I am accepted into literature pending results from NYU. Does anyone have any new information? After the interview they did not contact me again.

Hey, @GRADSPN1

Yes, the CUNY Grad Center! Oh well, I haven't heard back from them. I applied to the linguistics track. But I've been admitted to 8 other programs and waitlisted in 1. I'm just waiting for the grad center. How did you hear back from them?