Spanish Literature and Linguistics/Hispanic Studies Graduate Applications 2022

caromella

Hi all! I join the post.

I am applying to Columbia LAIC, NYU, Princeton, Cuny, Northwestern, and Tulane. Like some I study Latin American literature, with an emphasis on the southern cone. I am not going to expand on my CV but if someone wishes we can talk more. At the moment I have only received news from Northwestern on January 18 to be interviewed on January 19. The interview was supposed to take 20 minutes but we were approximately 45. I was told that the admission offers at Northwestern probably will not decrease or increase compared to last year. If I have more news, I will share it with you.

Good luck to all.

18 minutes ago, GRADSPN1 said:

Hi all! I join the post.

I am applying to Columbia LAIC, NYU, Princeton, Cuny, Northwestern, and Tulane. Like some I study Latin American literature, with an emphasis on the southern cone. I am not going to expand on my CV but if someone wishes we can talk more. At the moment I have only received news from Northwestern on January 18 to be interviewed on January 19. The interview was supposed to take 20 minutes but we were approximately 45. I was told that the admission offers at Northwestern probably will not decrease or increase compared to last year. If I have more news, I will share it with you.

Good luck to all.

LOL. I just uploaded the post and Princeton writes to me. They call me for an interview on February 4. If someone else is in this position we could cheer each other up and get through the anxiety together haha. Hugs

1 hour ago, GRADSPN1 said:

LOL. I just uploaded the post and Princeton writes to me. They call me for an interview on February 4. If someone else is in this position we could cheer each other up and get through the anxiety together haha. Hugs

Congrats! This is awesome!

Qq: Did you do your undergrad in the US?

47 minutes ago, GradforGrad said:

Congrats! This is awesome!

Qq: Did you do your undergrad in the US?

Thanks a lot! I am Latin American and I did both my undergraduate and master's degrees in Latin America (that's why my english is poor). However, my three LORs are from academics with studies in the United States and England. I think that is helping me.

Edited by GRADSPN1

17 minutes ago, GRADSPN1 said:

Thanks a lot! I am Latin American and I did both my undergraduate and master's degrees in Latin America (that's why my english is poor). However, my three LORs are from academics with studies in the United States and England. I think that is helping me.

Awesome! Good for you!

Hi everyone, 

Long time reader, first time poster here. I've been reading everyone's updates to see if anyone has heard from any of the schools that I applied to - so far it seems like no one has gotten any firm answers from any schools. In case anyone else is doing the same, I thought I would share the updates that I have received so far. I had a brief Zoom interview with UChicago last week - I believe they said that they hope to start making decisions in about 2 weeks or so. I received an email from the DGS at Washington University in St. Louis informing me that I was put on the waitlist and that she will let me know if anyone declines their offer and they are in a position to move to the waitlist. I also have an upcoming interview scheduled with Northwestern. 

I haven't heard from anywhere else, but will let you guys know when I do. Keep the updates coming y buena suerte a todos! 

1 hour ago, GSHopeful1 said:

Hi everyone, 

Long time reader, first time poster here. I've been reading everyone's updates to see if anyone has heard from any of the schools that I applied to - so far it seems like no one has gotten any firm answers from any schools. In case anyone else is doing the same, I thought I would share the updates that I have received so far. I had a brief Zoom interview with UChicago last week - I believe they said that they hope to start making decisions in about 2 weeks or so. I received an email from the DGS at Washington University in St. Louis informing me that I was put on the waitlist and that she will let me know if anyone declines their offer and they are in a position to move to the waitlist. I also have an upcoming interview scheduled with Northwestern. 

I haven't heard from anywhere else, but will let you guys know when I do. Keep the updates coming y buena suerte a todos! 

Hi - good luck with the waiting list. I'm sure everything will work out!

If you don't mind, can you tell us when is your interview at Northwestern? @GRADSPN1 had her interview this week (I guess on the 19th?)

56 minutes ago, GradforGrad said:

If you don't mind, can you tell us when is your interview at Northwestern? @GRADSPN1 had her interview this week (I guess on the 19th?)

Yes, on January 19. They said the results would be in the first week of February. Best wishes to all.

@GSHopeful1 Welcome! I also got an email last week about being on the Waitlist for WASHU in St Louis. Even though it isn't my top choice, I am still really excited about being on their waitlist, but I was wondering how large their waitlist tends to be and how big the chance is of getting off of it. What are you interested in studying/researching?

3 hours ago, GradforGrad said:

Thank you! My UChicago interview was last week, Northwestern is this upcoming Tuesday morning, and since my last post I just received an email from UC Berkeley inviting me to a 15 min interview on next Wednesday. 

On 1/21/2022 at 8:39 PM, caromella said:

@GSHopeful1 Welcome! I also got an email last week about being on the Waitlist for WASHU in St Louis. Even though it isn't my top choice, I am still really excited about being on their waitlist, but I was wondering how large their waitlist tends to be and how big the chance is of getting off of it. What are you interested in studying/researching?

Thank you and congrats to you too! WashU has a phenomenal Spanish program so I’m not holding my breath. I feel like most of the people who got in will accept their offers, but it’s nice to not be flat out rejected. Like most people here, I’m also interested in contemporary Latin American Lit. 

On 1/19/2022 at 4:43 PM, MillerS said:

Hello, everyone!

Guys, something really annoying happened these days. One of the universities I applied to asks for official transcripts to be sent.

The company that did the translation simply does not respond to my emails! I sent about 6 emails from last week to today, and I was just ignored.

This is a Canadian company called Docsbase. What could I do in a situation like this? Any idea?

Thanks a lot!

Si yo fuera tú, le enviaría copia del mensaje al director de estudios de posgrado en el departamento académico al que estás solicitando, solicitando ayuda. También a la oficina a cargo de estudiantes extranjeros de la institución. Eso no es usual sino hasta cuando una persona se va a matricular en persona, hasta donde yo sé. Como yo soy estadounidense, no te puedo ayudar más. 

19 hours ago, GRADSPN1 said:

Hello again. I am writing in case anyone is applying to the Tulane University program. They wrote to me for an interview on Monday, January 24. Does anyone have any news from Columbia Laic or NYU?

@GRADSPN1 Wow you are crushing it, interviews at Northwestern, Princeton and Tulane - CONGRATS!!! Let us know if you have any tips for interviews because it definitely seems like you are doing something right. 

2 hours ago, GSHopeful1 said:

@GRADSPN1 Wow you are crushing it, interviews at Northwestern, Princeton and Tulane - CONGRATS!!! Let us know if you have any tips for interviews because it definitely seems like you are doing something right. 

Thanks a lot! I hope all goes well in your case. Two important things from my experience, at least so far. Although the emails indicate that the interviews will be in English and Spanish, I only spoke Spanish on Wednesday. Also, although the email indicated that the interview would last 20 minutes, we spent approximately 50 minutes talking. I think that the fundamental thing is to know the SOP thoroughly and to argue in favor of it. Much success!

Hi everyone! I'm a master's student in Latin America. I'm applying to 8 PhD programs (Harvard, Cornell, Brown, Northwestern, Chicago, Princeton, Michigan and Boston University). I had an interview with Harvard professors last week, and I will have another with Cornell professors (both with a POI I mentioned in my statement and the chair department). I'm wondering if that being interviewed by the chair of the department is normal, considering that in Harvard the chair researchs Portuguese literature.... Hope you can help me with this doubt.

Another thing, as you can see, English is my second language... In my 1st interview I get a lot nervous, I could speak in English but I had some trouble be fluent. Do you think that my mediocre performance in English could jeopardize my admission? The part of the interview conducted in Spanish was fine, my POI and the chair were pleased with my answers.

27 minutes ago, SPANGRAD22 said:

Hi everyone! I'm a master's student in Latin America. I'm applying to 8 PhD programs (Harvard, Cornell, Brown, Northwestern, Chicago, Princeton, Michigan and Boston University). I had an interview with Harvard professors last week, and I will have another with Cornell professors (both with a POI I mentioned in my statement and the chair department). I'm wondering if that being interviewed by the chair of the department is normal, considering that in Harvard the chair researchs Portuguese literature.... Hope you can help me with this doubt.

Another thing, as you can see, English is my second language... In my 1st interview I get a lot nervous, I could speak in English but I had some trouble be fluent. Do you think that my mediocre performance in English could jeopardize my admission? The part of the interview conducted in Spanish was fine, my POI and the chair were pleased with my answers.

Hi - do you mind sharing when did you receive an invite to interview at Cornell?

39 minutes ago, SPANGRAD22 said:

Hi @SPANGRAD22 congrats on the interviews - that’s a huge deal!! From my personal experience it’s normal to have either the Department Chair and/or the Director of Graduate Studies at the interviews. Some of my interviews have been with them and my POI and others have just been department administrators (DGS, DUS, Chair, TA Supervisor, etc.). I asked my past professors the same question when I had my first interview and they told me that it was normal for those people to be there since most universities try to have at least 1-2 of the same people that are present at each interview - it just depends on who is on the Admissions Committee this year. 

With regard to your question about English, I don’t think that they would penalize you too much for that (it would be worse if your Spanish was not up to par since we are all applying to Spanish programs). I’m not sure how things work at the Ivy Leagues since that’s kind of a world of its own, but at my previous institution they even accepted at least 1 student whose TOEFL score was below the minimum requirement with the understanding that they would have to retake it and get a higher score after living/studying in the US for a few months. Best of luck!! 

Hi! I hope all is going well with the applications. I have a question, I hope you can help me. I am applying to NYU, Princeton and Columbia Laic. I have not received information from any program. Does anyone have any news about it? Thank you very much for your answers.

On 1/23/2022 at 3:36 PM, Angela Merkel said:

Si yo fuera tú, le enviaría copia del mensaje al director de estudios de posgrado en el departamento académico al que estás solicitando, solicitando ayuda. También a la oficina a cargo de estudiantes extranjeros de la institución. Eso no es usual sino hasta cuando una persona se va a matricular en persona, hasta donde yo sé. Como yo soy estadounidense, no te puedo ayudar más. 

¡Muchas gracias por la información, Ángela! Seguí tu consejo y todo salió bien. 

On 1/25/2022 at 9:06 AM, SPANGRADSCH said:

Hi! I hope all is going well with the applications. I have a question, I hope you can help me. I am applying to NYU, Princeton and Columbia Laic. I have not received information from any program. Does anyone have any news about it? Thank you very much for your answers.

I applied to NYU and have not heard from them yet at all. Will let you know about any changes :) 

On 1/24/2022 at 12:52 PM, SPANGRAD22 said:

Hi everyone! I'm a master's student in Latin America. I'm applying to 8 PhD programs (Harvard, Cornell, Brown, Northwestern, Chicago, Princeton, Michigan and Boston University). I had an interview with Harvard professors last week, and I will have another with Cornell professors (both with a POI I mentioned in my statement and the chair department). 

On 1/24/2022 at 1:19 PM, GradforGrad said:

Hi - do you mind sharing when did you receive an invite to interview at Cornell?

I am also curious since I have not heard anything at all from Cornell either. I was in touch with my potential advisor and she has not mentioned anything, but perhaps they are interviewing international applicants first?

Also, just to update everyone here, I just found out that I got into the PhD program at UNC Chapel Hill. I am breathing a lot easier knowing that I have an option no matter what. If anyone else sees this who is considering a Chapel Hill offer, please let me know! I would love to chat.

Thank you GSHopeful1.

For the people asking about Cornell, they mailed me an interview request on January 20. I have my interview tomorrow. I am going to ask if they are thinking in offer more interviews and when they are planning to communicatre their decisions. I will reach out as soon as I can.

Good look to everyone.

Hello again. Next week I have the Princeton interview and I'm a little anxious. Did anyone have their interview this week? I appreciate any advice. I also noticed that some had interviews with Northwestern. Have they communicated their results? Nothing for me at the moment. Good luck!