2022 Ford Fellowships

fauna876

7 minutes ago, commphdhopeful said:

literally same

Good luck to both of you! I have my fingers crossed! 

For reference, the reviewers commented that I had extremely strong research and training (I have a BS, MSc, and am working on my PhD; 3 publications and 4 others in the works, and 10 posters/presentations as well as awards for these) and experience (I did undergraduate research, have worked 6 research technician positions, mentored an undergraduate during my MSc, and have worked as a wildlife health biologist for a state agency before coming to get my PhD). My current research is on bats and SARS-CoV-2, which they liked.

I lacked working with underrepresented groups (I'm not a part of an underrepresented group, but was raised in Appalachia, am a first generation college student, and work in a field that is very uniform. I have also worked and volunteered in 4-H since 2009 and am now at a Hispanic serving institution teaching and mentoring undergraduates, and doing research). 

These comments really helped me when I was working on my application and waiting to see what reviewers were looking for and how to judge myself. I hope this comment helps others! 

Just now, DiseaseChiroptologist said:

For reference, the reviewers commented that I had extremely strong research and training (I have a BS, MSc, and am working on my PhD; 3 publications and 4 others in the works, and 10 posters/presentations as well as awards for these) and experience (I did undergraduate research, have worked 6 research technician positions, mentored an undergraduate during my MSc, and have worked as a wildlife health biologist for a state agency before coming to get my PhD). My current research is on bats and SARS-CoV-2, which they liked.

I lacked working with underrepresented groups (I'm not a part of an underrepresented group, but was raised in Appalachia, am a first generation college student, and work in a field that is very uniform. I have also worked and volunteered in 4-H since 2009 and am now at a Hispanic serving institution teaching and mentoring undergraduates, and doing research). 

These comments really helped me when I was working on my application and waiting to see what reviewers were looking for and how to judge myself. I hope this comment helps others! 

wow you sound amazing!! thank you so much for sharing this, i really appreciate it, and i know others will too!

Sorry to be this person, but has anyone got any recent news/updates? I keep getting school emails which is adding to my anxiety because I'm waiting for the Ford email to come through. I'm ready to get this OVER with! 

2 hours ago, DiseaseChiroptologist said:

Just found out I wasn't awarded, but got good feedback from the reviewers! Next time :)

Same! Feedback was positive, though I think one reviewer didn't really understand my proposal. They said my application would be stronger with a letter from a PhD advisor explaining the merit behind it but I'm starting my PhD in the fall... ? there's always next year!

I just received word that I was placed on an alternate list for the pre-doc! Overall, an improvement from last year as I was given an honorable mention w/o the alternate list. But now a little anxious that I will have to wait until May to find out LOL. Does anyone know what the likelihood is of someone getting off the alternate list? 

So excited for folks who count themselves among the lucky 75 awardees! As for me, I was not selected. I had 4 reviewers and all criteria received excellent or very good ratings. The weird thing is I had 5 reviewers last year with a much wider range of feedback? 

Either way, I'll work on strengthening my application where I can for next year. The cool thing is that I feel like I've developed an even clearer view of my project just in the time since I submitted the proposal. So, there's that!

Good luck to those still awaiting their results! 

5 hours ago, DiseaseChiroptologist said:

Thanks for this info! Which program did you apply to?

Congrats to the awardees! I had three reviewers and got mostly good to excellent ratings. It was really instructive to compare my comments with comments given to a couple of awardees who are acquaintances and also in social science disciplines.