PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2023

sheisgreat

Hi all!

I just wanted to get some comments/recommendations on what skills to have/how to pick PhD programs in behavioral sciences since I'm coming from different background. I am planning to apply to PhD program either this fall or next year. 

Stats: BS in Biology and Statistics (GPA 3.0), MPH concentration in Biostatistics (GPA 3.5). I have 5 years of experience after MPH in both industry and academia as a statistician (with health, medical data). I have some (but short) research experiences about asthma in school children, cancer diagnosis, spatial analysis of cancer for different racial and age groups. I don't have any publications and working on a project that will be published (not first author). I'll take GRE this summer. I know I don't have high GPA and don't have direct public health experiences so I was wondering if I will have any chance in getting into the behavioral sciences PhD program.

Any comments will be appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I've been a long time scroller on this forum but this is my first time posting. I'm applying to PhD programs in community health/social & behavioral health sciences this round. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best time to reach out to mentors? I'm not sure if now is too early or if waiting until the summer will be too late? Thanks in advance for the suggestions! 

On 4/16/2022 at 11:12 PM, GaRlIc BrEaD aLmOnD said:

Hi all!

I just wanted to get some comments/recommendations on what skills to have/how to pick PhD programs in behavioral sciences since I'm coming from different background. I am planning to apply to PhD program either this fall or next year. 

Stats: BS in Biology and Statistics (GPA 3.0), MPH concentration in Biostatistics (GPA 3.5). I have 5 years of experience after MPH in both industry and academia as a statistician (with health, medical data). I have some (but short) research experiences about asthma in school children, cancer diagnosis, spatial analysis of cancer for different racial and age groups. I don't have any publications and working on a project that will be published (not first author). I'll take GRE this summer. I know I don't have high GPA and don't have direct public health experiences so I was wondering if I will have any chance in getting into the behavioral sciences PhD program.

Any comments will be appreciated!

Hi! I did a similar swap (Biomedical Engineering to Behavioral Sciences) and am going to be starting a PhD at Columbia University this Fall. I’m more than happy to lend some insight to what the process was like for me ? shoot me a DM

Got accepted to LLU for this coming fall for the DrPH in Health Policy and Leadership. Very excited to start, was my 2nd year applying, first post-MHA graduation. People in this last years cycle forum were very informative and helpful to me and I would like to return the favor after going through the application and interviewing process. Good luck to all applying this upcoming cycle!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I will be starting my DrPH in Global Health Leadership this fall at Indiana University and would be happy to answer questions about that process if anyone is applying there. I also tanked a DrPH interview at UNC and can tell you what not to do for that, ha ha! Best of luck to everyone this cycle!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am applying for PhD Biostatistics for 2023-2024. 
I don’t have a masters in MPH but I pursued Bsc. Actuarial Science with a GPA of 3.69 by the WES standard.

Please can someone help me with the writing of the SOP for phd, I have one which I used to apply for Ms. Biostatistics.

Can someone please help me out

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 11:10 AM, DrPhDFall2023 said:

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing well.

How do we decide whether to apply for the Ph.D. or DrPH degree programs? Which program has a better chance of transitioning into academia after graduation? Also, anyone applying to Universities in Texas? ?

A PhD is likely better for transitioning to research or academia while a DrPH is designed for public health practitioners that want to pursue leadership positions. That being said, it isn't unheard of to enter some areas of academia (teaching) with a DrPH. 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:03 PM, Nhyiraba said:

Hi all,

I am applying for PhD Biostatistics for 2023-2024. 
I don’t have a masters in MPH but I pursued Bsc. Actuarial Science with a GPA of 3.69 by the WES standard.

Please can someone help me with the writing of the SOP for phd, I have one which I used to apply for Ms. Biostatistics.

Can someone please help me out

The SOP that you will have to send for the PhD will have to be different than the one you used to master's programs. It requires a different approach altogether. Where are you applying and what are you career goals post graduation?

On 7/28/2022 at 4:15 PM, PH2022 said:

I will be starting my DrPH in Global Health Leadership this fall at Indiana University and would be happy to answer questions about that process if anyone is applying there. I also tanked a DrPH interview at UNC and can tell you what not to do for that, ha ha! Best of luck to everyone this cycle!

I would love us to connect on UNC DrPH. I am interested in applying. How do we connect?

Hi everyone,

I'm a current PhD student in public health at YSPH. Going through this process gave me lots of anxiety, especially navigating the process on my own. I am co-hosting a webinar on Tuesday, September 13th from 6-8 PM eastern time to go over grad program basics, application materials, and other helpful tips as you start this nerve-wracking, yet exciting journey. Here is the registration link! Please share with those who may benefit! (https://forms.gle/PCQxhzgeLZTWC3aEA)

50 minutes ago, Bpt08 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a current PhD student in public health at YSPH. Going through this process gave me lots of anxiety, especially navigating the process on my own. I am co-hosting a webinar on Tuesday, September 13th from 6-8 PM eastern time to go over grad program basics, application materials, and other helpful tips as you start this nerve-wracking, yet exciting journey. Here is the registration link! Please share with those who may benefit! (https://forms.gle/PCQxhzgeLZTWC3aEA)

If you are also interested in more content and information like this - feel free to follow @phstudentnetwork on instagram and @public health student network on Linkedin!

• 2 weeks later...

HI Everyone,

I am thinking about applying for a DrPH program. My sights are on Tulane, USF, UGS, UIC, UNMC. I am hoping to do it part-time. I wonder if I am a strong enough candidate? My GPA from my MPH is 3.6 (3.58) International school (Can). I have about 4 years experience in applied epidemiology/public health experience working at local level public health (outbreak investigations, surveillance, reporting etc) and 5 years of epi/health research experience. I will have ~16 publications with 3 as first author and 2 as second author when I submit my application.  I think my GPA isn't that high and even worse in undergrad though it has been a long time since then that I hope it won't count as much. My experience, I'm also not too sure about since the DrPH is more of a practice based degree and my CV could look like I'm aiming towards more of a PhD or academia. UNMC looks like they prefer applied public health experience over research experience. 

This will be my first time applying for a doctorate degree. Any insight would be appreciated! Good luck to all!

Edited by LeadMelody

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2022 at 12:04 PM, AnxiousKronk said:

Hey guys, in SOPHAS app, would you recommend to include/add any Coursera certificates under the "Licenses and Certification" section that are more or less related to the field of study I am interested in ?

thanks a lot and good luck to us all :)

I think that's a great idea! Especially since much of public health training has been online in the past few years. I was going to add my CITI certs for that section.

Also -- anyone else still checking this thread? would love to connect! I'm applying to a long list of programs. Having a hard time narrowing it down when I am genuinely interested in the faculty's research. I know I should have reached out to faculty earlier to see if they're actually taking students. I only truly started this process in October, sent a few emails and haven't received responses - which I'm not reading into.

Would love to hear if anyone is also applying to these!

SDSU, UMN, UCLA, UCI, Northeastern, Tulane, CUNY, UofA, Drexel, GWU, UMich, Emory, FIU

Hello all,

I'm applying for a DrPH in Advanced Practice Leadership at USF for matriculation Fall 2023! I've hounded previous forums to try to get a sense of a timeline of when to hear back and it seems like January-March, eeeeek. Don't quite know how my anxiety will tolerate the waiting game haha. I submitted 11/4/2022. I'm hoping my stats aren't so bad...
MPH (concentration: public health practice) from the University of Florida, GPA 3.69
BS in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Central Florida, GPA 3.33 (not great)
5 years experience working for the state health department in various roles (Senior Health Educator-->Epidemiologist-->Epidemiology Program Manager currently)
Some research experience (addiction research at UF), 1 publication (5th author :/), but several presentations including speaking at the 2022 NACCHO Annual Conference.

Hope everyone has a successful application cycle!!

On 11/3/2022 at 1:00 AM, spiralingepi said:

I think that's a great idea! Especially since much of public health training has been online in the past few years. I was going to add my CITI certs for that section.

Also -- anyone else still checking this thread? would love to connect! I'm applying to a long list of programs. Having a hard time narrowing it down when I am genuinely interested in the faculty's research. I know I should have reached out to faculty earlier to see if they're actually taking students. I only truly started this process in October, sent a few emails and haven't received responses - which I'm not reading into.

Would love to hear if anyone is also applying to these!

SDSU, UMN, UCLA, UCI, Northeastern, Tulane, CUNY, UofA, Drexel, GWU, UMich, Emory, FIU

there's also a subreddit now in case you wanna connect with people there https://www.reddit.com/r/phdpublichealth/

On 6/1/2022 at 12:13 PM, DrPH2022WI said:

Got accepted to LLU for this coming fall for the DrPH in Health Policy and Leadership. Very excited to start, was my 2nd year applying, first post-MHA graduation. People in this last years cycle forum were very informative and helpful to me and I would like to return the favor after going through the application and interviewing process. Good luck to all applying this upcoming cycle!

Hello, I also applied the LLU DrPH program. What specific questions did they ask during the interview?

Thank you very much ahead of time!