PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2023

sheisgreat

8 hours ago, jwqotsa said:

I applied to JHU Mental Health PhD, and still have not heard back from them. I admissions told me that top candidates will be contacted by the end of January.

I just saw on the main results page that someone was accepted to hopkins MH. Literally so crazy. I think they're going to send decisions out soon 

To those who are wondering about Yale's PhD EMD program - I got invited last week to their interview day in February. 
Has anyone heard from the following PhD programs: JHU ID Epi; Harvard PHS - Epi (ID); UCLA Epi; UC Berkeley Epi; Univ. Washington Epi; Univ. Michigan Epi; or Columbia Epi? :)

Edited by EpiNYC

On 1/15/2023 at 1:14 PM, globalMH said:

Have folks heard from any of the following programs for PhD Admission: 

Hopkins International Health (SBI)

Hopkins Mental Health

GWU Prevention and Community Health (SBS)

NYU SBS

Yale SBS? 

Haven't heard anything yet and I'm slowly freaking out lol. Unsure if all the interview invites have been sent out or if I should still hold on to some hope

GWU just sent a group email. It seems weird though because the 26th is literally this week. So are they sending interviews today-thursday? Did anyone get an interview invite?

"Dear colleague,

My name is Carlos Rodriguez-Diaz, and I am the Program Director of the PhD Program in Social and Behavioral Sciences at the George Washington University-Milken Institute School of Public Health. We are thrilled about your interest in our academic program. We are currently reviewing applications for admission. We will conduct interviews with top candidates starting Thursday, January 26th, and we expect to share admission information by the first week of February.

Our Academic Training Team will share further information, and you may receive emails from me, our official email address (phdsbs_director@gwu.edu), or Courtney Coffey, our Academic Training Program Manager (ccoffey@gwu.edu).

Please let us know if you have any questions. Cheers, - C"

39 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

To those who are wondering about Yale's PhD EMD program - I got invited last week to their interview day in February. 
Has anyone heard from the following PhD programs: JHU ID Epi; Harvard PHS - Epi (ID); UCLA Epi; UC Berkeley Epi; Univ. Washington Epi; Univ. Michigan Epi; or Columbia Epi? :)

Hey - 

Applied: Harvard ID Epi, U Mich Epi, JHU ID epi 

Heard: NOTHING (lol) 

At least I am not alone ;)

57 minutes ago, EpiNYC said:

I am on the waitlist for EMD, when did you hear from them?

42 minutes ago, bmore_epi said:

GWU just sent a group email. It seems weird though because the 26th is literally this week. So are they sending interviews today-thursday? Did anyone get an interview invite?

"Dear colleague,

My name is Carlos Rodriguez-Diaz, and I am the Program Director of the PhD Program in Social and Behavioral Sciences at the George Washington University-Milken Institute School of Public Health. We are thrilled about your interest in our academic program. We are currently reviewing applications for admission. We will conduct interviews with top candidates starting Thursday, January 26th, and we expect to share admission information by the first week of February.

Our Academic Training Team will share further information, and you may receive emails from me, our official email address (phdsbs_director@gwu.edu), or Courtney Coffey, our Academic Training Program Manager (ccoffey@gwu.edu).

Please let us know if you have any questions. Cheers, - C"

Yup got this same email... It's so weird I had to read and reread it like 3 times to understand. I haven't gotten a formal decision yet. Also it's such a fast timeline. Should be an interesting week lol 

Hi all, I applied for PhDs in behavioral science/community health. Still waiting to hear back from most schools, but was rejected from JHU population health last week. 

Has anyone heard back from NYU SBS, Brown BSHS, Drexel or Rutgers?

23 minutes ago, olivecords said:

Hi all, I applied for PhDs in behavioral science/community health. Still waiting to hear back from most schools, but was rejected from JHU population health last week. 

I also applied to NYU SBS and heard nothing from them yet

12 minutes ago, gahhhhh said:

Did they send you an email saying you are on the waitlist for EMD? If so, when? I also applied and have heard nothing.

Just trying to figure out if they've sent out interview and waitlist invites so rejection is imminent or if there's still a chance lol. Rather be put out of my misery now instead of anxiously refreshing my email lol

47 minutes ago, gahhhhh said:

Did they send you an email saying you are on the waitlist for EMD? If so, when? I also applied and have heard nothing.

34 minutes ago, gahhhhh said:

Just trying to figure out if they've sent out interview and waitlist invites so rejection is imminent or if there's still a chance lol. Rather be put out of my misery now instead of anxiously refreshing my email lol

I mailed them asking about it, and they told me that I am on the waitlist.

6 minutes ago, GlobalHealth1 said:

I am breaking up with GRAD CAFE. I freaked out because I saw interviews went out to my top choice, emailed the programme, to be humiliated with a “no decisions or interview offers have been made”. 

y’all - don’t trust the results page. Join my newfound outlook of trying to sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. 

Which program was this? 

57 minutes ago, GlobalHealth1 said:

I am breaking up with GRAD CAFE. I freaked out because I saw interviews went out to my top choice, emailed the programme, to be humiliated with a “no decisions or interview offers have been made”. 

y’all - don’t trust the results page. Join my newfound outlook of trying to sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. 

I don't mean to be a downer but I have emailed a program's coordinator via the official program email and the director of the program at the same time in separate emails because I had built a rapport with the director. The coordinator gave me a similar response about "no interview offers or admissions offers have been made" but the director told me they had sent out all interview invites already. I spoke to a student I know who works in the admissions office and she said they are instructed to give the "no interview offers or admissions offers have been made" to anyone who asks, even if it's not true, until they send out rejections because they want a good waitlist. 

1 hour ago, GlobalHealth1 said:

1 hour ago, globalMH said:

Which program was this? 

Which program was this? x2

6 hours ago, olivecords said:

Hey there! Was also rejected from PopFam, but waiting to hear back from HBS (I applied to two different departments, lol). If I'm not mistaken, the Brown BHS interview day already happened ? Here's the email I got when I inquired on the status; 

"We hosted a Virtual Interview Day today (1/20) for our PhD applicants.  Please don't feel discouraged as less than 9% of our applicants were invited to this event." 

Not a formal rejection but...I would assume I'll get one soon lol?
Edited by healthequityprincess

17 minutes ago, healthequityprincess said:

Hey there! Was also rejected from PopFam, but waiting to hear back from HBS (I applied to two different departments, lol). If I'm not mistaken, the Brown BHS interview day already happened ? Here's the email I got when I inquired on the status; 

"We hosted a Virtual Interview Day today (1/20) for our PhD applicants.  Please don't feel discouraged as less than 9% of our applicants were invited to this event." 

Not a formal rejection but...I would assume I'll get one soon lol?

I searched "Hopkins" on the main page and I see that someone got accepted to JHU HBS ? I am also waiting to hear. 

27 minutes ago, bmore_epi said:

I searched "Hopkins" on the main page and I see that someone got accepted to JHU HBS ? I am also waiting to hear. 

Oh lawd ?welp, I may have (unofficially) struck out on all my "reach" schools ya'll lol! My regional schools I'm waiting for are Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason, and UMassMed. Already admitted to UMD, which I'm leaning toward at this point--in my experience, state schools are always such a nurturing experience, so I'm grateful and excited! 

Edited by healthequityprincess

1 minute ago, healthequityprincess said:

Oh lawd ?welp, I may have (unofficially) struck out on my "reach" schools ya'll lol! My regional schools I'm waiting for are Virginia Commonwealth, George Mason, and UMassMed. Already admitted to UMD, which I'm leaning toward at this point--in my experience, state schools are always such a nurturing experience! 

It has been super humbling, I thought I would maybeeeeee get an interview at some of these places. 

One professor at Yale SBS told me that they don't have enough funding this year so SBS has zero slot. Therefore, they  only consider american applicants who may earn external funding and they don't consider international students unless self-funded.

I applied to JHU social and behavioral sciences, but have not heard anything. In the results section, I saw some rejections from JHU, then does it mean they sent out mass rejection mails?

6 hours ago, GlobalHealth1 said:

I already finished an interview with a program, but found out they're still telling people that they will send interview invites at the end of Jan or beginning of Feb.

But I actually do agree with you on people lying, cause last year there was someone that said they got admitted to a PhD program I applied to, so I felt kinda worthless. Later I got an admission offer for a Master's for the program and learned that they did not admit any PhD candidates that year and just sent out Master's admissions to the PhD applicants that seemed eligible. Since not many people talked about that program I still see that person's lie everytime I search for the program on gradcafe. But well, that was only one person for me, so if multiple people are talking about the same thing I think its kinda believeable.

13 hours ago, EpiNYC said:

Just FYI, JHU genetic and general track has sent out interview invitation last week. U of Michigan also did their interviews last week. U of Washington probably would have the decision letters come out this week (25th most likely). 

PS: JHU may have different timelines for id (since it's the most popular one). At least different timeline for genetic and general EPI track. 

Same with U of Michigan. 

Nothing from other schools yet, and I am pretty sure about my rejection from Brown since they sent out interviews around 10th this month.

Edited by ccyri95

1 hour ago, ccyri95 said:

Just FYI, JHU genetic and general track has sent out interview invitation last week. U of Michigan also did their interviews last week. U of Washington probably would have the decision letters come out this week (25th most likely). 

PS: JHU may have different timelines for id (since it's the most popular one). At least different timeline for genetic and general EPI track. 

Same with U of Michigan. 

Nothing from other schools yet, and I am pretty sure about my rejection from Brown since they sent out interviews around 10th this month.

Which program did you apply to for Brown?