PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2023

sheisgreat

On 1/23/2023 at 11:32 PM, MellyPlinis said:

Hello, thank you for sharing this! May I ask did U of Washington have interviews? I'm in another track though, I haven't heard anything from them yet. I'm a little bit scared T_T

Not for EPI, they just sent out decisions without interview. 

Just got the rejection from UW this afternoon, alas. And another admission director told me before the application that there will only have like 6 positions this year. Heart broken since it's my top program.

Good luck if you're also heading for EPI dept. 

8 hours ago, SBSPhDApplicant said:

Chiming in with some updates about the public health programs I have heard about: I was accepted to UMD College Park's Behavioral and Community Health PhD program last week and have an interview tomorrow with a prof at Drexel's Community Health and Prevention PhD program. Radio silence from NYU, Hopkins, GW (all for Social and Behavioral Sciences) and CUNY (Community Health and Health Policy) so far. 

Hey, to my future potential classmate: Healthequityprincess!

Awesome!!!! :D Happy to connect off the thread if you wanna talk about it!

21 hours ago, nc2 said:

JHU portal still says "application under review" for me. Looking at other years' threads, invites for interviews, if they were requested, were sent out in January and they had admissions decisions the first week of March. 

Yes! I applied before to BU in the 2019 round. I was invited for an interview during Jan first week. So not hearing from them yet is a bad sign for me. I think JHU rarely does interviews.

27 minutes ago, DSB said:

Yes! I applied before to BU in the 2019 round. I was invited for an interview during Jan first week. So not hearing from them yet is a bad sign for me. I think JHU rarely does interviews.

Why do you think it’s a bad sign? From what I recall reading, most people aren’t invited for interviews? They use them for cases where they need more information beyond what’s in the application. How was your interview in 2019?

45 minutes ago, nc2 said:

Why do you think it’s a bad sign? From what I recall reading, most people aren’t invited for interviews? They use them for cases where they need more information beyond what’s in the application. How was your interview in 2019?

Oh okay! I thought they (only talking about BU here) only call in short-listed candidates for interviews. And not getting an interview invite by now means that they probably haven't shortlisted me? 
I thought it went well. They asked me my plans for my career in the future. At that point I said I would be open to both academic and practice paths- and they took it as me being unsure or undecided about what I want.

1 hour ago, nc2 said:

Woahhhh are you saying BU doesn't interview??? 

2 hours ago, bmore_epi said:

anyone hear from GWU?

I just read on the website the following: 

DOCTORAL

The Office of Admissions & Enrollment only works with verified SOPHAS applications. Please note, SOPHAS takes two weeks on average - or longer during peak volumes - to verify applications. To meet the application deadline, you must electronically submit on SOPHAS no later than 11:59 PM (EST) on December 1 regardless of verification status. Only applications that are verified and completed by January 1 will be considered for admissions review.

Throughout January and February, applicants may be invited to participate in an in-person or virtual interview. Not all applicants will be required to interview. Admissions decisions are communicated by email starting in late February or early March, regardless of the submission date.

AND 

INTERVIEW - MHA and Doctoral applicants only. Selected applicants being considered for the Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) concentrations, PhD in Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Master of Health Administration (MHA) may be required to take part in an in-person or virtual interview. Program administrators will contact you directly to schedule an interview should you be selected.

25 minutes ago, dogmom34 said:

I just read on the website the following: 

DOCTORAL

The Office of Admissions & Enrollment only works with verified SOPHAS applications. Please note, SOPHAS takes two weeks on average - or longer during peak volumes - to verify applications. To meet the application deadline, you must electronically submit on SOPHAS no later than 11:59 PM (EST) on December 1 regardless of verification status. Only applications that are verified and completed by January 1 will be considered for admissions review.

Throughout January and February, applicants may be invited to participate in an in-person or virtual interview. Not all applicants will be required to interview. Admissions decisions are communicated by email starting in late February or early March, regardless of the submission date.

AND 

INTERVIEW - MHA and Doctoral applicants only. Selected applicants being considered for the Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) concentrations, PhD in Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Master of Health Administration (MHA) may be required to take part in an in-person or virtual interview. Program administrators will contact you directly to schedule an interview should you be selected.

The SBS dept sent an email the other day saying they would start interviewing on Jan 26th! 

12 hours ago, ccyri95 said:

Not for EPI, they just sent out decisions without interview. 

Just got the rejection from UW this afternoon, alas. And another admission director told me before the application that there will only have like 6 positions this year. Heart broken since it's my top program.

Good luck if you're also heading for EPI dept. 

Wow that is really competitive... I'm sorry to hear that. I bet you'll be accepted by another program that fits you better! Fingers crossed!

I'm not for epi and I haven't heard anything yet. But considering I'm an international student so that funding could be a big trouble for them... I think it's better for me to take this silence as a pre-rejection ?

15 minutes ago, MellyPlinis said:

Wow that is really competitive... I'm sorry to hear that. I bet you'll be accepted by another program that fits you better! Fingers crossed!

I'm not for epi and I haven't heard anything yet. But considering I'm an international student so that funding could be a big trouble for them... I think it's better for me to take this silence as a pre-rejection ?

I keep saying to myself to keep in a semi-positive headspace that my application was just ~that good~ they don't need an interview ;)

On 1/24/2023 at 2:19 PM, kgarciar said:

I have also applied to the MH program and no emails and the portal says “under review.”

Has anyone heard from Columbia Epi?? I am dying here. 

I have not heard anything from admissions at Columbia but I did speak with a professor recently and it sounds like changes in their funding have made the last cycle really rough and probably won't be better this year :(

2 minutes ago, anxiousphdapplicant said:

I have not heard anything from admissions at Columbia but I did speak with a professor recently and it sounds like changes in their funding have made the last cycle really rough and probably won't be better this year :(

Thanks for sharing!
Do you think this means that they have less slots open this year or that they may be not taking people?? 

Edited by kgarciar

2 hours ago, kgarciar said:

Thanks for sharing!
Do you think this means that they have less slots open this year or that they may be not taking people?? 

So I was told that they recently changed their funding structure (so overall the individual funding packages should be better) and this is the second application cycle with the new funding requirements. It sounds like faculty did not have advanced notice of this so now many don't have enough funding to fully support PhD students. To be honest it sounds like it has been pretty messy. I was feeling pretty discouraged after hearing about it. 

12 minutes ago, anxiousphdapplicant said:

So I was told that they recently changed their funding structure (so overall the individual funding packages should be better) and this is the second application cycle with the new funding requirements. It sounds like faculty did not have advanced notice of this so now many don't have enough funding to fully support PhD students. To be honest it sounds like it has been pretty messy. I was feeling pretty discouraged after hearing about it. 

That's interesting! I went to an info session in like late November for the Epi track and they said they were planning to accept 8-10 students ... I am also a current student in the program ... so I can try snooping around ?

I have now had three interviews for DrPH programs and the questions are consistent. Why a DrPH? Why our school? Why now? This does seem to be a very competitive year with one school sharing that about 8% of applicants will be accepted. Good luck everyone with the interviews and stay strong/motivated in this final stretch! 

This seems to be a weird and stressful year to apply for doctoral programs since funding opportunities at most universities are unclear! ?

1 hour ago, MedicinesAreExpensive said:

I have now had three interviews for DrPH programs and the questions are consistent. Why a DrPH? Why our school? Why now? This does seem to be a very competitive year with one school sharing that about 8% of applicants will be accepted. Good luck everyone with the interviews and stay strong/motivated in this final stretch! 

Thank you so much! This is very helpful for those receiving interviews.