2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

On 1/24/2023 at 11:00 AM, ayitao said:

Has there seriously been no interview invites from U Chicago or have I just been considered unworthy for an interview? The lack of movement is driving me mad

one of my friends have recived final interview request from UChi this week (it sounds like UChi has multiple rounds of interviews). I heard nothing so far. I don't hold much hope?

7 minutes ago, weber131 said:

one of my friends have recived final interview request from UChi this week (it sounds like UChi has multiple rounds of interviews). I heard nothing so far. I don't hold much hope?

Based on results from previous years, Chicago only does one round of interviews and admits/waitlists based off of who they interview.

I heard people have received offers from ucla already. I wonder if ucla interviews people before admission?

I have been so nervous these days. Most of my friends have recieved interview invitations from schools but I still heard nothing. I applied for Princeton, Berkeley, Columbia, UToronto, UCLA, UCSD, UMich, Yale, Cornell, Brown, Boston U, CUNY, and Notre Dame. It's already my second year to apply. ?

1 minute ago, weber131 said:

I heard people have received offers from ucla already. I wonder if ucla interviews people before admission?

I have been so nervous these days. Most of my friends have recieved interview invitations from schools but I still heard nothing. I applied for Princeton, Berkeley, Columbia, UToronto, UCLA, UCSD, UMich, Yale, Cornell, Brown, Boston U, CUNY, and Notre Dame. It's already my second year to apply. ?

In previous years UCLA has done admissions on a rolling basis. I definitely can't guarantee that that's what they're doing this cycle, but I do remember someone in 2021 posting a quote from a professor who said they meet weekly and admit in batches until they have sent out all of the offers they plan to.

1 minute ago, saffasrass said:

In previous years UCLA has done admissions on a rolling basis. I definitely can't guarantee that that's what they're doing this cycle, but I do remember someone in 2021 posting a quote from a professor who said they meet weekly and admit in batches until they have sent out all of the offers they plan to.

good to hear that 

Hi, a friend of mine who worked on UCLA's admissions committee last year told me that the previous process was as described above. In short, they were inviting over batches. 

HOWEVER, he does not know if this process will be the same. If anyone has more information, it'll be much appreciated.

Edit: Also, he mentioned that they reviewed international and American applicants separately. 

9 hours ago, Theadora said:

Did anyone who got a Yale interview apply jointly to WGSS? Holding out hope that maybe those with joint apps are taking longer to send out interviews since I only saw two folks post about interviews. 

Not sure, but maybe it requires some extra coordination...?

I am not feeling confident and it's confusing that there isn't more people reporting interview requests...

On 1/25/2023 at 7:40 PM, haptomato said:

Congrats! Hope you do well on the interview. What are your research interests? I also applied for UCI but I haven't got any emails from UCI. 

Thanks! Broadly I'm interested in education, social movements, race and sport, so kind of all over the place (although they all intersect). 

Like I said - don't lose hope as they seem to be sending them out over a few days rather than all at once! Good luck! 

20 hours ago, weber131 said:

UCLA definitely don't interview, I spoke with a professor who confirmed that they just send out admissions.

7 minutes ago, Theadora said:

U Chicago rejections rolling in this morning. Last year Berkeley sent out their first round of rejections this week so let's see if we can get some more sadness out of the way before the week is up. Feeling nervous 

Got my rejection this morning from UChicago. Have to say that’s what I have expected 

Just now, weber131 said:

Got my rejection this morning from UChicago. Have to say that’s what I have expected 

Same here. I just got mine too. Hope more good news on the way. I haven't received any good ones yet, no interviews, no offers. As a first-time sociology applicant, no idea what to expect, especially about the timeline. Absolutely congrats on those who got into their dream offers. :) I guess I will have to hang on a little bit longer to hear from all my applied programs.

24 minutes ago, severalaughters said:

Same here. I just got mine too. Hope more good news on the way. I haven't received any good ones yet, no interviews, no offers. As a first-time sociology applicant, no idea what to expect, especially about the timeline. Absolutely congrats on those who got into their dream offers. :) I guess I will have to hang on a little bit longer to hear from all my applied programs.

Same here, no interviews, no offers, (and no rejections). I really thought, I would be a competitive candidate with a solid profile. Looks like my "academic career" will come to an end in a few months: MS degree + industry job will do for me.. :)

Edited by Ace4

55 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

I see the rejections for UChicago. My heart goes out to all of you. I was in the same boat two years ago. For those who got interviews…do you think there will be two rounds of rejections then? Or are the interviewees probably going to be admitted/waitlisted? 

There were 20 people interviewed for 6 to 7 spots, so I'm going to assume there might be a couple rejections, but mostly acceptances and waitlists.

13 minutes ago, saffasrass said:

There were 20 people interviewed for 6 to 7 spots, so I'm going to assume there might be a couple rejections, but mostly acceptances and waitlists.

Hi thanks! Can I ask how you know it was 20 people? Have you been contacted for the interview? I just received a status update so far. 

4 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

Hi thanks! Can I ask how you know it was 20 people? Have you been contacted for the interview? I just received a status update so far. 

I was contacted to set up an interview on Tuesday and had it yesterday where I was told that they were interviewing 20 people for a small cohort and to expect to hear back by mid-February.

anyone from here has had interviews at Yale sociology? DGS told me they were coming back to interviewees in the next two weeks. How was your experience? I'm on my nerves. All good vibes to everyone applying there and other unis (special love to those UChicago rejections)

33 minutes ago, haptomato said:

Does anyone heard back from Indiana Bloomington? I saw previous year's result and found out that Indiana do interviews but wonder why they are so quiet until now. (Also curious about texas at austin since the deadline was quite early ? )

Emailed with an admin person at Indiana a while back about when applicants might hear and they said: "Because so many things have changed this year, they are not certain. Their goal is January 31, 2023, but that could change."

10 minutes ago, sluggerotoole said:

Emailed with an admin person at Indiana a while back about when applicants might hear and they said: "Because so many things have changed this year, they are not certain. Their goal is January 31, 2023, but that could change."

wow thanks a lot! hope your application journey goes well ?