2023 Fall Sociology Applications - Support, Advice, Results, Etc

SportySpice

2 hours ago, cappuccino336 said:

Yeah, CUNY and Yale have def had their final nail in the coffin. Pretty sure I butchered my Rutgers interview, so that just leaves NYU and Princeton for me. Pretty sure I’ll be reapplying next year lol. Already starting to lick my wounds. 

If you (or others who might read this) do have to reapply (I’m in my 3rd - and last - cycle), my biggest advice is doing a deep dive. Deep dive every single program that is remotely interesting to you. (It looks like you applied to a lot of top schools; it’s great to aim there, but there are hundreds of applicants for a handful of spots. Take UChicago, for example. Their soc program in 22-23 had 259 applicants [I was one] with only 18 admissions and 6 enrollments - google UChicago PhD program data - the odds of admission are astronomically low.) This is the same across a lot of top programs. 

This cycle, I selected cities I wouldn’t mind living in and did a deep dive on every faculty member’s publications in the last 10 years and recent grants (use the NSF/NIH/whatever agency grant search). I only chose to apply to schools where my fit was absolutely clear. Also, look into the coursework, the colloquia, recent talks, unique methodology used by the faculty and write that into your SOP. 

Also, from my conversations with faculty I’m hearing a lot about the increase in the number of applicants with a masters degree.

Anyways, I say all this for one point. Don’t give up hope until it’s clear there are no options left. Then, take some time and remind yourself that you’re qualified and intelligent and can do it. 

TheRedHeadAcademic has some excellent resources on her YouTube channel on SOPs and grad admissions. She used to have some good priced PDFs about writing SOPs, too. She also runs a consultancy (that’s very expensive, but seems to have good results.) and she’ll be releasing a grad admissions class soon. 

Anywho- I’m wishing you the best of luck! Remember to take care of yourself- rejection sucks. 

16 minutes ago, letsgetit21 said:

If you (or others who might read this) do have to reapply (I’m in my 3rd - and last - cycle), my biggest advice is doing a deep dive. Deep dive every single program that is remotely interesting to you. (It looks like you applied to a lot of top schools; it’s great to aim there, but there are hundreds of applicants for a handful of spots. Take UChicago, for example. Their soc program in 22-23 had 259 applicants [I was one] with only 18 admissions and 6 enrollments - google UChicago PhD program data - the odds of admission are astronomically low.) This is the same across a lot of top programs. 

This cycle, I selected cities I wouldn’t mind living in and did a deep dive on every faculty member’s publications in the last 10 years and recent grants (use the NSF/NIH/whatever agency grant search). I only chose to apply to schools where my fit was absolutely clear. Also, look into the coursework, the colloquia, recent talks, unique methodology used by the faculty and write that into your SOP. 

Also, from my conversations with faculty I’m hearing a lot about the increase in the number of applicants with a masters degree.

Anyways, I say all this for one point. Don’t give up hope until it’s clear there are no options left. Then, take some time and remind yourself that you’re qualified and intelligent and can do it. 

TheRedHeadAcademic has some excellent resources on her YouTube channel on SOPs and grad admissions. She used to have some good priced PDFs about writing SOPs, too. She also runs a consultancy (that’s very expensive, but seems to have good results.) and she’ll be releasing a grad admissions class soon. 

Anywho- I’m wishing you the best of luck! Remember to take care of yourself- rejection sucks. 

I appreciate your advice. I agree that I only applied to a small handful of top programs, but, I have a home in NJ with my wife and son and am unwilling to relocate for PhD. So my list won’t be amenable to change one cycle to the next. Instead, I am focused on improving my application (equally difficult given that I don’t want to take out even more student loans for masters credential.) Gonna ask faculty mentors for some advice. 

I was interviewed by CUNY, but still haven't heard back from them. No offer, no waitlist - nothing. I'm getting anxious at this point seeing that people are getting offers from them. Is anyone experiencing something similar? Or does it mean I should just stop putting my hopes on CUNY at this point?

12 minutes ago, magnets said:

I was interviewed by CUNY, but still haven't heard back from them. No offer, no waitlist - nothing. I'm getting anxious at this point seeing that people are getting offers from them. Is anyone experiencing something similar? Or does it mean I should just stop putting my hopes on CUNY at this point?

Hi same!! I was interviewed last week, and they told me I would be informed of a decision this week, but it’s Saturday…so I’m not hopeful at all. It’s nice to know I’m not alone ??

1 hour ago, nicolesaparty said:

Hi same!! I was interviewed last week, and they told me I would be informed of a decision this week, but it’s Saturday…so I’m not hopeful at all. It’s nice to know I’m not alone ??

Best of luck to you and me both!! It seems like maybe they interviewed quite a lot of people, way more then they can admit…

13 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

They told me they were interviewing 20 people for 8 spots ?

Only 8?! If they only send out 8 offers how many are really gonna enroll?? It’s gonna be a tiny cohort!

10 minutes ago, magnets said:

Only 8?! If they only send out 8 offers how many are really gonna enroll?? It’s gonna be a tiny cohort!

They’ll probably send out 11-12 offers knowing people will decline. Did they ask you what other schools you’ve applied to/gotten into? I’m really sad and frustrated about it…2 interviews and for what ?

4 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

They’ll probably send out 11-12 offers knowing people will decline. Did they ask you what other schools you’ve applied to/gotten into? I’m really sad and frustrated about it…2 interviews and for what ?

They didn’t ask, but since I listed a few other schools I applied to on my application, the professor who interviewed me commented on my compatibility with these schools. I’m really frustrated as well… such a laborious process for nothing. And to get our hopes up like this as well. I was lucky enough to get a PhD offer from another school. No interview, no fuss, just a straight up email. CUNY dragged this wayyy too long.

8 minutes ago, magnets said:

They didn’t ask, but since I listed a few other schools I applied to on my application, the professor who interviewed me commented on my compatibility with these schools. I’m really frustrated as well… such a laborious process for nothing. And to get our hopes up like this as well. I was lucky enough to get a PhD offer from another school. No interview, no fuss, just a straight up email. CUNY dragged this wayyy too long.

Yes, I got another offer as well, and still waiting to hear back from others…but I did want that acceptance from CUNY lol. But I am wondering why no one’s claimed the CUNY acceptances except for what I’m 99% sure is an international student. 

19 minutes ago, nicolesaparty said:

Yes, I got another offer as well, and still waiting to hear back from others…but I did want that acceptance from CUNY lol. But I am wondering why no one’s claimed the CUNY acceptances except for what I’m 99% sure is an international student. 

I saw someone posted an admission result saying that CUNY said they would send out formal offers if applicants accept the informal one (that’s a long chain of quotations I know but this is where I’m at now…) So if someone decides not to take it, maybe it gets passed down to us, like waitlisting without explicitly saying so?  I’m a first-time applicant and still learning the admission process.

10 hours ago, esMarie17 said:

Hello-- I saw someone asking about UConn. I was accepted on Tuesday. Hope that's helpful to know. I'm new to this forum.

Congrats! I received an email from them yesterday to ask if I would like to be put on a waitlist because they don't have enough funding to offer me an admission. Has anyone been offered something similar to this before? 

Congratulations to you too!

And I am entirely unsure about their final decisions. I wasn't expecting to hear back so soon. The Director did mention coordinating a campus visit for all accepted students, once they completed their process. He said in the meantime I could reach out with questions, which seems to indicate that they are still making selections. 

2 hours ago, meowsigh said:

Congrats!!! Do you know if they have made their final decisions?

Ah! Here we go. I've just figured out how to 'reply'. See... probably not the person to give information :)

I am entirely unsure about their final decisions. I wasn't expecting to hear back so soon. The Director did mention coordinating a campus visit for all accepted students, once they completed their process. He said in the meantime I could reach out with questions, which seems to indicate that they are still making selections. 

4 hours ago, whyamIhere said:

Congrats! I received an email from them yesterday to ask if I would like to be put on a waitlist because they don't have enough funding to offer me an admission. Has anyone been offered something similar to this before? 

Congratulations to you as well!!! I recognize that's not the ideal situation, but still says a lot!

10 hours ago, CassiopeiaDream said:

So I've received a rejection from Portland State and an acceptance from Washington State, was curious if anyone knows anything about any of my remaining Sociology schools:

UC Irvine

Berkeley

USC

Colorado

Loyola Chicago

Oregon

i applied to oregon and colorado and haven't heard anything, so you're not alone!

2 minutes ago, jackie987 said:

Hi! Have you or anyone heard back from Brown? I see some acceptances and rejections posted on the results page now, but I haven't gotten anything and not sure what that means!

I haven’t heard anything either but I’m assuming the decisions will be rolling out. At this point, it’s either a rejection or a waitlist. Mine will most likely be a rejection as I didn’t have a good fit with Brown (it’s not strong immigration program). 

Good luck!!

1 hour ago, jackie987 said:

Hi! Have you or anyone heard back from Brown? I see some acceptances and rejections posted on the results page now, but I haven't gotten anything and not sure what that means!

Got my Brown rejection this morning! Received an email telling me to check the portal for a decision. From past years it looks like they send all acceptances on the same day and then all rejections the next (business) day, and I don't think they do a waitlist, based on past years results. Maybe check your spam folder? I hope there is good news waiting for you!