SSHRC CGS -D & Doctoral Fellowships 2023-2024

capricorn97

2 minutes ago, AlexandriaPav said:

I had a friend who was wait listed and he then got an e-mail SIX MONTHS after the results came out saying enough people had declined that he now had a full ride for his PhD. It *does* happen but likely is really dependent on how big the school you are at is.

How does school size influence it?

25 minutes ago, neverwinter22 said:

How does school size influence it?

Every institution gets a certain amount of SSHRC allocations. A huge school will have more applicants/award recipients, meaning your ability to move up the waitlist is likely more difficult (but may also have more people decline)

13 minutes ago, AlexandriaPav said:

Every institution gets a certain amount of SSHRC allocations. A huge school will have more applicants/award recipients, meaning your ability to move up the waitlist is likely more difficult (but may also have more people decline)

I was of the understanding that the quota system doesn't matter once you are in the national round. The quota determines how many students can get advanced from the individual university to the national round. Once you are in the national round, your school has no factor in your acceptance. 

1 hour ago, sunshineanddogs said:

I just heard from my institution that SSHRC IT has stated there was an issue with the system which resulted in approximately ~2000 applications not receiving their SSHRC results. They stated they are working to remedy this and will hopefully have our results sent out by tomorrow, at the latest by the end of next week. 

Congrats to everyone who has received an award! Hang in there to everyone still waiting for an email! 

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I'm also still waiting. Eek.

2 minutes ago, marloe said:

I was of the understanding that the quota system doesn't matter once you are in the national round. The quota determines how many students can get advanced from the individual university to the national round. Once you are in the national round, your school has no factor in your acceptance. 

I was under this impression as well - quota only matters for how many applications theyre allowed to send to SSHRC

1 hour ago, PSYCPHD15 said:

I was awarded the CGS-D! Found out from my uni but have not received the official email yet. Hope this eases anxiety for some!

So the university knows the results. Still waiting. Will the university inform students? Thank you 

When I was rejected outright last year, I thought to myself "Man, I wonder what it's like to be the person who was one or two spots away from the last funded application..." 

I don't have to wonder anymore. I was waitlisted, but I feel strangely positive about it after two years of total rejection. It was at least nice to read the part where they said that my project was recommended for funding.

I'm rooting for you all to get your Vaniers, your Fulbrights, your other big prizes! You got this!

24 minutes ago, Just Check said:

So the university knows the results. Still waiting. Will the university inform students? Thank you 

I think it depends on the university. Mine does. My department just sent me an official email. Still waiting to hear from SSHRC. 

3 minutes ago, PSYCPHD15 said:

I think it depends on the university. Mine does. My department just sent me an official email. Still waiting to hear from SSHRC. 

Do mind sharing your University? I received this from my university which makes me think I wasn't successful (still waiting to hear from SSHRC)

I understand that SSHRC Doctoral results have been announced.

Regardless of your success, we ask that you please forward a pdf copy of your results notification, including your ranking, to me. This information helps us shape our process for future competitions.

The SSHRC Doctoral program is very competitive and regardless of the final outcome, your nomination to the national level is a great achievement.

Edited by Mara15

7 hours ago, braungc said:

I am also the same- at an American institution, applied directly to SSHRC, and have multiple documents that are labelled differently (CGS-D vs Doctoral). I emailed last night when I received the results email, so I can update if I happen to hear back first about it.

@The1 @pillowcaserutabaga + anyone else who is wondering.. I just got a reply to my question on CGS-D vs. Doctoral Fellowship- it essentially just acknowledged my acceptance of the Doctoral instead of the CGS-D since I am at a foreign institution and said someone would reply later to other questions I had. It seems like they just included acceptance of one in the other? I did get a separate document with a notice of results specifically labelled as SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship, too. And then they just notified me that an updated notice would be added to my account 'shortly'. I hope that helps!

Edited by braungc

26 minutes ago, clinicalpsyche98 said:

I'm also still waiting!!! 

Me too!! Everyone else in my cohort got results hours or days ago. This is TORTURE. It's got me questioning if I even submitted my app in the first place. Even though I have confirmation it was forwarded for national competition... 

2 minutes ago, Attempted_Academic said:

Me too!! Everyone else in my cohort got results hours or days ago. This is TORTURE. It's got me questioning if I even submitted my app in the first place. Even though I have confirmation it was forwarded for national competition... 

I'm trying to finish the last paper of my PhD coursework (yay!) and the anxiety of waiting for my email inbox to ping is making that increasingly difficult

Just now, theknittingacademic said:

I'm trying to finish the last paper of my PhD coursework (yay!) and the anxiety of waiting for my email inbox to ping is making that increasingly difficult

Ahhhh congrats on that though! I'm in a similar boat. I'm trying to do a full day of clinical work and spending five minutes between patients obsessively checking this forum. 

44 minutes ago, Mara15 said:

Do mind sharing your University? I received this from my university which makes me think I wasn't successful (still waiting to hear from SSHRC)

I understand that SSHRC Doctoral results have been announced.

Regardless of your success, we ask that you please forward a pdf copy of your results notification, including your ranking, to me. This information helps us shape our process for future competitions.

The SSHRC Doctoral program is very competitive and regardless of the final outcome, your nomination to the national level is a great achievement.

I got this email from my university too (Calgary) and I was successful so there is still hope! 

1 minute ago, historichana said:

I got this email from my university too (Calgary) and I was successful so there is still hope! 

That is a relief! Thank you for sharing that and congratulations on your successful application!!

Still haven't heard from SSHRC. but my university (Western) notified me I was successful. Kind of confusing as I do not know any details other than that. Nonetheless, happy to get the notification. 

Best of luck to everyone waiting!! This process really sucks (was denied last year), but keep pressing on! Your dedication to this alone is proof you have the capability of being a great researcher! :)  

6 minutes ago, desperateamericano said:

If I haven't heard from SSHRC or my institution, does it already imply a failure?

Not necessarily - Lots of folks haven't gotten an email or institutional notice yet. Plus, there's been a mix of funded and not funded notices in the emails already sent. No way to know for sure at this point.

6 minutes ago, desperateamericano said:

If I haven't heard from SSHRC or my institution, does it already imply a failure?

I don't think so! If all of the results so far had been either yes or no, then I think we could tell that all the rejections or all of the acceptances had been sent. You may just be on a committee that hasn't been processed yet, or just one of the unlucky ones whose emails didn't process properly. Fingers crossed for you!

5 minutes ago, desperateamericano said:

Its hard for me as well. But I want to believe it doesn’t. My school didn’t inform me and I’m still waiting for the email from SSHRC. When I contacted my school they said “they are still waiting for the full results”. So, not sure if full means that they have some (the successful?) results? Just quite hard to imagine.

I just emailed my department to ask if they know anything about the results and was told that the faculty of graduate studies will be sending out results directly soon. So any other UBC folks here, keep an eye out!

For those still waiting like myself, the SSHRC email auto-reply now reads: 

"Due to technical issues, results for the 2023 Doctoral Awards competition have not yet been shared with all applicants as initially anticipated. SSHRC continues to gradually release results directly to applicants via the SSHRC Extranet for Applicant and candidates might still be waiting for their results.

The result notifications should be sent to all applicants over the next few days."

2 minutes ago, Attempted_Academic said:

For those still waiting like myself, the SSHRC email auto-reply now reads: 

"Due to technical issues, results for the 2023 Doctoral Awards competition have not yet been shared with all applicants as initially anticipated. SSHRC continues to gradually release results directly to applicants via the SSHRC Extranet for Applicant and candidates might still be waiting for their results.

The result notifications should be sent to all applicants over the next few days."

Thank you for your sharing!!!!