Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

1 hour ago, PhilAnthro said:

Apparently people in the results page have been contacted about interviews for UC Irvine. Guess I didn't get in :( 

Looks like Irvine's interview invites came through as letters from the DGS. Those are usually uploaded on to the portal in batches. So there's still a chance that you might get an invite. 

1 minute ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

Looks like Irvine's interview invites came through as letters from the DGS. Those are usually uploaded on to the portal in batches. So there's still a chance that you might get an invite. 

Thank you for your answer.

So are you saying that they don't invite everyone at the same time? 

11 hours ago, substitutemeat2022 said:

I was thinking the same thing as  @PhilAnthro but I’ll remain hopeful.  I contacted three POI at Irvine and only one gave me the time of day.  I contacted her again and she didn’t reply.  ?

Hey there. Hope y'all doing well. I applied to physics programs for fall 2023. My IELTS score, however, were a bit low: overall 7, with 6 in writing. I'm thinking of retaking the IELTS but idk if it would come handy cause I already sent my previous scores (told them I would retake) and the earliest time I can't get my new scores is at the end of Februrary. I would like to know if it's doable or I'm wasting my money?

I should add that I only applied to Jan deadlines and all of them on the deadline date. So probably would be among the last cases to be considered.

Edited by alimrd

7 hours ago, alimrd said:

Hey there. Hope y'all doing well. I applied to physics programs for fall 2023. My IELTS score, however, were a bit low: overall 7, with 6 in writing. I'm thinking of retaking the IELTS but idk if it would come handy cause I already sent my previous scores (told them I would retake) and the earliest time I can't get my new scores is at the end of Februrary. I would like to know if it's doable or I'm wasting my money?

I should add that I only applied to Jan deadlines and all of them on the deadline date. So probably would be among the last cases to be considered.

Hi! This is the Anthropology specific Forum, so you would probably find better answers to your questions in the Physics forum under Physical Sciences.

For what its worth, at least in my experience, standardized tests are more of a minimum qualification to meet so that a student can be accepted. It's much more important whether or not the student has research interests and goals that align with their advisor's, and how they might fit with the department overall. 

On 2/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, archwizard92 said:

It depends on subfield - typically interviews for sociocultural, linguistics, ect are common. I'm in arch and interviews are a lot less common and really depend on school. I know Michigan only interviews sociocultural, for example.

I am arch anthro also! I applied to Stanford Yale and Harvard arch anthro and have heard nothing so I am just assuming at this point I am getting rejected from them?

I have an offer from another school last year that I had to defer because of timing and I’m pretty sure I heard back from them / was interviewed in January ….

1 hour ago, Skier94 said:

I am arch anthro also! I applied to Stanford Yale and Harvard arch anthro and have heard nothing so I am just assuming at this point I am getting rejected from them?

I have an offer from another school last year that I had to defer because of timing and I’m pretty sure I heard back from them / was interviewed in January ….

I could be wrong but I think Yale hasn’t sent anything yet. I’m waiting too and that’s what I keep telling myself to not go crazy lol

On 2/3/2023 at 5:43 PM, Tia_2023 said:

Hi! This is my second round. I applied also to 12, received 2 rejections and 4 soft rejections because they sent out interviews and I did not get them. It is tough. Just want to say let's keep our fingers crossed and hope each other good luck!

I hope you get an acceptance soon. One is all that matters. If you don't mind sharing which schools and track did you apply for 

5 minutes ago, Humeralhead said:

I could be wrong but I think Yale hasn’t sent anything yet. I’m waiting too and that’s what I keep telling myself to not go crazy lol

I honestly haven’t seen anything for any of these three schools. So technically I don’t know. But it feels too late at this point…

27 minutes ago, tkb32932333 said:

I hope you get an acceptance soon. One is all that matters. If you don't mind sharing which schools and track did you apply for 

Thank you! I'm on the socio-culture track. I got rejected by Chicago and Cornell. Michigan, NYU, Berkeley, and Duke seem to send out interviews and I did not receive them so 4 soft rejections. If Irvine counts then got 5. I remember someone in this thread said Yale had not started the interview so good luck to us!

5 hours ago, tkb32932333 said:

I think Stanford sent out some interviews 

I've applied to Stanford as well. I'm anxiously waiting. The thought that it's too late to receive an interview call constantly lingers at the back of my mind. But... I went through the previous years patterns of communication just now (as one does ?). It looks like in 2019 the sociocultural anthro folk sent out interview requests on February 7th/8th.

On 2/4/2023 at 1:54 AM, TinCanBaby said:

Yes unfortunately it looks like things are moving fast since last night with campus visits being scheduled in March.  I know it burns.  TRUST ME! This is not my first round.  What are your other options.

i have heard nothing from Stanford.  Nor Berkeley nor UC Irvine.  I’m pretty sold on Brown as my work is really a great fit.  But I’m curious if ill get a hit at USC.

I've heard Brown give a very satisfying stipend right? USC and UCI all sounds will not provide enough stipend for living in CA...

13 hours ago, Humeralhead said:

Has anyone contacted Yale lately? I'm starting to get nervous thinking maybe they have reached out to people already since I know they only take a very small amount each year. Also I think they had sent out interview invites by this time last year. 

Edited by himy_95

5 hours ago, OffSTpl said:

I've heard Brown give a very satisfying stipend right? USC and UCI all sounds will not provide enough stipend for living in CA...

Yeh so I’m from LA.  If anyone gets an offer letter and wants to know how to negotiate it I can be of assistance. 30k in LA at USC is something to think about really.

i have a spouse who can travel with work and do things remotely so I’m not considering these things as much.  Although I do feel that my expertise, project and potential have a particular value.

Brown has a pretty comfortable stipend and many opportunities to get internal funds.

i can’t even remember what UC I said.