Political Science - Fall 2011 Cycle

adaptations

Anyone want to claim the "accepted 30 Jan via phone" for Stanford?

I'd normally call troll, but why troll when there are clearly legitimate acceptances out?

To renew hope that Stanford is still giving out acceptances? Seems like a pretty solid trolling agenda.

To renew hope that Stanford is still giving out acceptances? Seems like a pretty solid trolling agenda.

Yes, that was me. American politics. Got a call this afternoon from a Prof I mentioned in my statement. (Long-time reader of the forum, but had never posted before.)

I'm stoked.

Edited by tarrou

I've received one phone call/letter from a University (not one talked about). I am still awaiting word from four others.

I think that there's a good bit of misinformation going on in the postings. Someone posted that they were accepted at Pitt and that their acceptance included full funding. Well, all accepted students for Pitt's Phd program are fully funded.

The schools I am still waiting on include Pitt and UNC.

I've received one phone call/letter from a University (not one talked about). I am still awaiting word from four others.

I think that there's a good bit of misinformation going on in the postings. Someone posted that they were accepted at Pitt and that their acceptance included full funding. Well, all accepted students for Pitt's Phd program are fully funded.

The schools I am still waiting on include Pitt and UNC.

While I can't comment with certainty whether or not the Pittsburgh acceptance you mentioned is real, I don't think the comment about it being fully funded is evidence one way or another. A lot of people mention that kind of thing even if its true for every accepted student.

This week should be a big one; good luck everyone!

While I can't comment with certainty whether or not the Pittsburgh acceptance you mentioned is real, I don't think the comment about it being fully funded is evidence one way or another. A lot of people mention that kind of thing even if its true for every accepted student.

That's true, though there are two other flags:

1) It says only "Pittsburgh"

2) It belies the trend in previous years, which suggests that Pitt sends out letters between the 5th and the 15th of February (http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=%28politics|government|political%29+pittsburgh&t=a&pp=25). I see no reason to believe that they have accelerated their process this year--the number of submissions likely isn't down.

I can attest that the Pitt letters are real. I got my letter last week, a whole lot earlier than I thought they would go out.

Sorry that people aren't getting positive results. I'm sure there are plenty of acceptance letters to good schools still left to come :)

Hmmm. I'll be anxious to speak with my contacts in the Pitt department.

Hope for Stanford is alive again... Ahh!

I swear I'll never make it to September, I'll go down with a heart attack well before then.

What a coincidence! A couple of hours ago I made the exact same comment to some of my friends!

Hope for Stanford is alive again... Ahh!

I swear I'll never make it to September, I'll go down with a heart attack well before then.

F'sho.

It's worse over here, because the time zone difference means that the Stanford business hours are from 5 pm - 1 am for me. So I get home from class and can do absolutely no studying before crashing at 1:30. In a sense I'm actually looking forward to a decision no matter what it is just so I can get back to work.

But yes, hope springs eternal!

And by the way, congratulations, Tarrou!

Yes, that was me. American politics. Got a call this afternoon from a Prof I mentioned in my statement. (Long-time reader of the forum, but had never posted before.)

I'm stoked.

If this is true, I'm really glad for you and look forward to seeing you on Admit Week. However, given the oddity of finding out on a Sunday, would you mind answering some questions that only someone who's heard from Stanford would know at this stage? I think you owe this to those who got their hopes up because of your post. So: exactly how many applications did Stanford get this cycle? What is the value of the fellowship (in total) for 2011-2012?

Edited by sneezy

I would think that this varies from person to person.

Maybe so, although the admissions letter looks pretty generic and I would assume that the candidates that were admitted this early represent Stanford's "top choices" and were offered the same package. Even if not, he could still answer the first question.

If this is true, I'm really glad for you and look forward to seeing you on Admit Week. However, given the oddity of finding out on a Sunday, would you mind answering some questions that only someone who's heard from Stanford would know at this stage? I think you owe this to those who got their hopes up because of your post. So: exactly how many applications did Stanford get this cycle? What is the value of the fellowship (in total) for 2011-2012?

Actually, I'd like to know this even (if the dude isn't genuine), if you wouldn't mind PMing me. Did they also say the total number of acceptances?

I was under the impression another forum member had heard that Stanford had already made all their initial offers before that 30th listing went up.

I agree, but I don't think it necessarily meant they had all already been sent out. I think the conversation probably went, "You're waitlisted, which means we've made some initial acceptances and you may have a shot after we get our responses back." That doesn't necessarily mean that everyone had been contacted, however.

Or am I just hoping, haha.

I would think that this varies from person to person.

Upon further consideration, I guess a better second question would be: What time and date is the dinner reception with graduate students during admit week? Any admitted student will know this, and it does not vary from person to person... :)

balderdash: I'll PM you.

For anyone who is wondering the Stanford letter says they recieved 375 applications and planned for an admit class of 15 total, although they didn't specify exactly how many they admitted. I'm not sure if everyone's fellowship is the same, but palo alto is pretty expensive so I think its safe to assume everyone get at least 25k or so.

I didn't get a letter from Wisconsin (unless it's sitting at home right now and I don't know it) and I don't see any change in my status online, so I don't have any concrete info. It has been my experience, though, that all of the university websites are slow to be updated, whether it be receipt of application materials or in my case getting wait-listed at one school. Given the volumes of material they are going through, it isn't much of a surprise that status updates on the websites aren't going to be all that timely.

No, it still says pending. I think that changes only once the decisions are finalized?

So you got an acceptance letter but your status still says pending? I live in the Middle East, and not only does mail rarely get here in from the US in a timely manner, sometimes it doesn't arrive at all...