Picked up any new hobbies while waiting?

MoJingly

I am wondering if anybody else is going as crazy as I am. I have found that not even my traditional outlets are sufficient. My legs are not capable of running fast enough.

I think this is the time in our lives where we are allowed to be crazy. Embrace it. Do something you always wanted to do.

I've started painting. It's cathartic.

Has anybody else started some new hobbies? Juggling? Weaving? Llama-tending?

I am wondering if anybody else is going as crazy as I am. I have found that not even my traditional outlets are sufficient. My legs are not capable of running fast enough.

I think this is the time in our lives where we are allowed to be crazy. Embrace it. Do something you always wanted to do.

I've started painting. It's cathartic.

Has anybody else started some new hobbies? Juggling? Weaving? Llama-tending?

Well, I started looking for and applying to a few job openings in case grad school doesn't work out. Don't know if that counts as a hobby.

I've not submitted my applications yet, but y'all might want to try learning how to cube in your spare time ... just keep a cube in your pocket, and whenever you have a few seconds, take it out and solve it. Mentally-stimulating, plus, it's a great distraction (just don't overdo it--that gets you carpal tunnel :o)

• 3 weeks later...

My new "hobby" actually coincides with a side effect of my new part-time job working in a library as doing so has introduced me to so many different things. I recently saw that we have numerous books on the Raw Food Diet, it's something I was interested in a couple years back but was really too busy to read about it and incorporate it into my lifestyle (it's really not that hard, but I was in grad school at the time and working three jobs...trying something so drastically new was out of the picture, I didn't have the mental energy to deal with it). But now when I have absolutely nothing except my part-time job and I'm used to having something to study, I've decided to try it out. I'm probably attacking it a little too obsessively, but it's interesting and good for me! Plus, if I can implement it now when I have nothing else to focus on, it will be easy once I start school again.

Other than that...I'm spending time editing photos that I took this summer while attending seminars. I never got around to them because when I returned home from the seminars it was GRE studying/ application filling out time.

my poor puppy has been sorely neglected for the past couple weeks, but I've checked out all the puppy training books from the library. the goal is to teach him some manners before the decisions start coming in.

What a wonderful distraction! I wish I had a puppy!

I've been stressing like no other waiting to hear back from schools and trying to figure out where I 100% want to go. I'm still trying to find things to take up my time and distract me, but so far I've picked up some crafting, gaming, and general sloth.

I started haphazardly sewing which has resulted in a skirt, mended clothing, a TON of bows and usamimi (bunny ear) headbands, and lounge/sleep shorts. A friend got me a PSP and some games for Christmas knowing that I would be freaking out so that is definitely getting used along with my old Super Nintendo I brought from my parents' house. I've also been reading a lot more and watching more movies and TV shows.

But I still need to find a more productive form of thumb-twiddling! Or just build a time machine to speed up the time it takes to hear about acceptances/rejections....

i have a plan for the next several months:

1. volunteer twice a month with a local org working with middle schoolers

2. read and (re-read) some of the books i've purchased over the years

3. improve my grammar by completing an online grammar course

4. take a correspondence course for reading knowledge of German

5. take a couple of "girls only" trips (vegas, miami...) and act like i'm 21 again :-)

I figure this will get me through the results period and help me prepare for grad school come September! i realize that these aren't hobbies, but i think this will get me through the waiting period.

Edited by edwu19

my poor puppy has been sorely neglected for the past couple weeks, but I've checked out all the puppy training books from the library. the goal is to teach him some manners before the decisions start coming in.

I wish I had a puppy to distract me. Instead, I have this silly dissertation.

For the past three weeks, I've been at my parent's house, where it was easy to stay distracted because of my mom's puppy. She's an 80 lb monster full of love, energy, and dog slobber! But now I'm back at school (across the country) and I have to find other ways to keep myself distracted. :( I miss her!

Well, I GUESS I could focus on classes and research.....

I started excercising and calorie counting which has helped. I needed a new goal (and a new years' resolution) after finishing grad applications. Also, I work part-time and have kids so it's not like I have tons of time on my hands, but that doesn't seem to stop me from obessing over when I will hear back with decisions. It doesn't help that my job is a little boring right now and that I keep fantasizing about resigning to go to school full time. Time seems to be moving so slowly.

I've only picked up bad habits: nail biting, obsessive email checking, and writing pros and cons lists for why I will/will not be accepted to grad school. I am taking a class over break which helps a little. Before this whole process I used to knit and read for fun...can't wait till after I finally know.

I don't know if you could really call it a hobby, but it's definitely going to keep me (at least a little) distracted from constantly fretting over hearing back from grad schools.

I've just been picked by someone/a couple to be their egg donor.

Yep. Someone is going to have my baby. By the end of this year, there will be a mini-me somewhere. It's entirely scary but absolutely exciting! I start the process tomorrow or early next week. I'm super nervous but I'm so thrilled to be able to help someone achieve their dream of being a parent.

Has anyone else ever been an oocyte donor? If so I'd love to hear about your experience and what to expect!

I don't know if you could really call it a hobby, but it's definitely going to keep me (at least a little) distracted from constantly fretting over hearing back from grad schools.

I've just been picked by someone/a couple to be their egg donor.

Yep. Someone is going to have my baby. By the end of this year, there will be a mini-me somewhere. It's entirely scary but absolutely exciting! I start the process tomorrow or early next week. I'm super nervous but I'm so thrilled to be able to help someone achieve their dream of being a parent.

Has anyone else ever been an oocyte donor? If so I'd love to hear about your experience and what to expect!

Oh, wow, that is quite the distraction! That's so fantastic that you can help them out in such a big way :)

During college and over the last year of working/apps I completely lost touch with reading books (for pleasure as opposed to classwork :P), so I decided to treat myself during the holidays and bought a Kindle. Gotten through a couple of books already! Currently working my way through Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Any suggestions on what to read next? I particularly like non-fiction and was thinking of reading something World War 2 related (I took a WW2 class in college and LOVED it, its remained something I try and read up on once in a while)