Picked up any new hobbies while waiting?

MoJingly

I am wondering if anybody else is going as crazy as I am. I have found that not even my traditional outlets are sufficient. My legs are not capable of running fast enough.

I think this is the time in our lives where we are allowed to be crazy. Embrace it. Do something you always wanted to do.

I've started painting. It's cathartic.

Has anybody else started some new hobbies? Juggling? Weaving? Llama-tending?

I did actually start juggling! And I also tried painting. Out of general interest rather than because I have extra energy. I have a whole list of low-priority hobbies which keeps growing, so usuIally I never find that I have extra time

Edited by kaz

I've just been picked by someone/a couple to be their egg donor.

That's so cool!

Me, nothing really...I'm so darn busy that I don't have enough time for the inordinate number of favourite pastimes I have already. I recommend yarn-crafts, though (knitting, crochet, weaving, etc.). They help the time go by and they're calming and at the end of the day you might have something new and interesting to use/wear/show off. The only tricky part is learning the basic skills; after that, you can go looking for patterns you like and pretty much make anything.

I've gotten into the stock market. Something new and exciting and frustrating every day. Trying to see what I can do with the little bit of money I have left after paying around 1K for grad school apps.

And 30 Rock. Lots of it.

and I filed away all the application stuff I don't need (everything except usernames, passwords, and correspondence from the schools to which I applied)--it's really a wonderful sense of closure not to see (and knock over) a heap of transcripts, GRE scores, statement drafts, etc., every time I pass my desk

I am (in no particular order, and obviously not all at the same time!):

--enjoying being in a fun class, aka jazz dance

--taking a course called The British Novel for pass/fail credit. The reading alone is eating up my time nicely (and the protagonist in the novel has far too many problems for me to feel okay with complaining about my wait for letters)

--catching up on my favorite TV show (The Big Bang Theory!)

--trying to finish up my lab research project

--carving out some time to just be a college kid and enjoy my last semester, aka sleeping in and bar-hopping every so often

--reading a cooking blog religiously

Also, I'm so jealous of everyone and anyone who has a puppy.

During college and over the last year of working/apps I completely lost touch with reading books (for pleasure as opposed to classwork :P), so I decided to treat myself during the holidays and bought a Kindle. Gotten through a couple of books already! Currently working my way through Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Any suggestions on what to read next? I particularly like non-fiction and was thinking of reading something World War 2 related (I took a WW2 class in college and LOVED it, its remained something I try and read up on once in a while)

WW2 related stuff that comes to mind - Jackdaws & Hornet Flight- both by Ken Follett...Good stuff...

Currently working my way through the sopranos...Awesome, riveting stuff this is, ladies & gents! Have yet to start on Criminal Minds though!! Any suggestions on movies, books or TV shows by anyone are welcome!

Edited by JamesSawyerFord

Anal retentive kitchen projects are my preferred coping mechanism.

Marmalade - take just the zest off of a dozen oranges, mince it, put it in a pot; cut the pith off the oranges and throw it away, separate the flesh from the membranes, put the flesh and juice in the pot, put the membranes in a bag, put the bag in the pot, simmer for a half hour; cool, milk pectin from bag, add sugar, boil to exactly 220.5 degrees - viola, six hours of focus.

Croissants - makes some really rich dough, let it rise in the cold, roll and fold with butter until there are 72 layers of butter and dough, let it rise in the cold, roll out, cut into triangles, roll into crescent shapes, let rise in the cold, bake at high heat - viola, three days of mornings.

I just got myself a ravioli cutter--stuffed pastas here I come.

My newest and greatest hobby is checking my email, then checking TGC Results page, clicking Refresh, rechecking my email, checking the URCH forums, rechecking email, rechecking TGC results list, clicking refresh....

Then I remind myself that it is only January 31st and I should not anticipate ANY communication from the buisness programs I applied to until February 15th or later. Then I sigh, refill my coffee cup, check my iPhone text messages and log back in to check my email.... :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

I've started painting.

I would too, but its rather expensive, right?

Anyways, I'm just spending my time self-studying what I expect to see in grad school. In addition to preparing me for the intense workload, I also see it as self-punishment because I spent this past year doing little as I could've applied last year if I had better known what I wanted to study

This thread made me laugh, because I didn't notice that I started a couple hobbies to pass the time waiting for responses. I taught myself to knit last week, so I can be a total dork and make myself scarves of the four houses in Harry Potter (did I really just admit that?) and I also randomly started training for a 5k that doesn't exist.